SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What are the best 10/22 upgrades?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are the best 10/22 upgrades? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have several 10/22s. They are all stock. I can't really see why they would need modifications. They are accurate and reliable. Can someone explain the benefits of the mods mentioned here?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I have several 10/22s. They are all stock. I can't really see why they would need modifications. They are accurate and reliable. Can someone explain the benefits of the mods mentioned here?

A target barrel makes the rifle more accurate. A target trigger makes it easier to extract that extra accuracy. An optic removes sight allignmemt as a factor in terms of group size and location. It's up to you as to if any of this increases your shooting pleasure.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:

"need" is a strong word. accuracy, fun, and "why not," all fit the bill.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
What are your most useful, favorite, best upgrades for the 10/22?

Asking for a friend.

In my experience, the singlemost bestest upgrade on mine was the barrel. I have one of those Green Mountain heavy ones that I installed maybe 15 years ago. It make the rifle more stable and it points better.

I have a series of other upgrades including the BX-Trigger. That trigger is noticeably better than the original one.

Of course, I have a riflescope on mine and it's getting ready to be replaced with a Weaver T-36 to enable me to play better in the rimfire competitions at the local club.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hamfisted
posted Hide Post
I went with the Kidd upgrades and a Tactical Solutions threaded bull barrel. The Kidd bolt and trigger were the main improvements. But you can just go to the website and start clicking till your wallet's empty.

-Mike

Kidd 10/22 Accessories

Posts: 270 | Location: Ft Lauderdale | Registered: October 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think I need this:

Magpul backpacker for 10/22 takedown

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 10/22, so I only have second hand info. Most of the tweaked 10/22s I've seen have Kidd or Volquartsen barrels, triggers, bolts.

On another website I saw that Bartlein made a number of 10/22 barrels. Evidently the people who bought them are very pleased with their accuracy.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have the takedown model, and after adding a Leupold 4x28 rimfire scope, positioned for proper eye relief, it would no long fit in the Ruger bag. A decent and inexpensive substitute for those finding themselves in this fix is this UTG bag. Inside are two pairs of velcro hold-downs to keep both parts secure. And the outside pocket holds lots of extra magazines.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have two 10/22's

both have the VQ trigger group (it also makes the bolt release if you just tug it to the rear w/o having to monkey with the doo-da under the trigger...plus the mags drop easily with the extended mag release)

(once you shoot a gun with a VQ trigger you can't even bear the factor trigger)

One of the rifles has a TacSOL 16" lightweight barrel....totally worth it...

I left the other rifle standard except for the trigger group...it's a stainless mannlicher stock....

If I could only do one thing to a 10-22, it would be to replace the trigger group with a VQ or equivalent aftermarket

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
v

As good as the 10/22 is upgrading the trigger is a major improvement. I own 7 10/22 and I have a Timney trigger in one , and a complete VQ drop in another, they are great. But just taking apart the trigger and upgrading the hammer and spring kit from VQ is cheaper than the BX trigger. I bought a few of the Auto bolt releases from VQ but once I had a few of them it was easy to see I could modify the factory ones..and since I had some spares it was an easy fix. This eliminates fumbling with the button to close the bolt.
I have also upgraded the Stock.. I Love the Magpul Hunter stock, It is around 100 but it makes it a better rifle, It looks very much like an M14, and it is adjustable.
The next upgrade I gave this rifle was a suppressor. It is so much more fun now . I have either scopes or red dots on a most of them, I really like the see through scope mounts I have on one of them as you can always use the original sights. The other best every upgrade is the BX 25 mags. I have 11 of them, and even if you only put 10-12 rounds in them they are so much easier to load into the gun and pull out.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I like the VR trigger and an oversized stock to float the barrel ... I also have a Leupold 3-9 scope, it's on the lower end of their price range, but it's still a Leupold. Lastly and of course; find an ammo it likes that's consistent, not like Thunderbolts or other bulk crap plinking ammo unless minute of grapefruit ... or depending on your distance; minute of basketball ... is all your after.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I've never made a "decked out" or "tack-driver" 10/22, I think I need to. For the fun of it.

There is buying a Ruger, and replacing most of it such that you've now got extra parts. Or, there is this:

Nodakspud 10/22 receiver

Aside from them, I think it's Kidd and VQ.

Arc.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I just do a VQ target trigger and auto bolt hold, Kidd Charging handle. Costs like $65 or so depending on sales / etc.

I do have my Takedown equipped with a Hogue / TacSol barrel / stock setup. I sold my OEM barrel / stock to offset the expense and I really like it, a lot.

Little Weaver 4x28 rimfire and they're golden.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree a stock 10/22 is reliable, but they aren't especially accurate and the triggers and stocks make them more difficult to shoot well.

A Kidd trigger is a world-class two stage match trigger as good as the triggers on the Anschutz rifles they shoot in the Olympics.

I can't tell the difference, accuracy-wise, between a Kidd-barreled 10/22 and an Anschutz or my Sako Quad with a Lilja barrel (off a rest with good match ammo, 10 rounds into one ragged hole at 50 yards or 1.25" or so at 100). It *might* give up a tiny bit of accuracy in a benchrest setting shooting the very best, most expensive match ammo available. I don't do that kind of shooting and I've never been able to tell a meaningful difference.

Add a decent stock (less expensive than either the trigger or the barrel) and you have a super-accurate semiauto
22 with a fantastic trigger that is really, really easy to shoot well.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I can say if you want to hunt squirrels with it.

Don't get the Tech Sights with only the small rear aperture.

The sights are excellent and work great. But that small rear aperture is TOO small for whacking squirrels in the head in the woods. I should have gotten the model with the flip aperture.

I am tempted to carefully drill it out a bit larger. It would probably be wiser just to slap a red-dot on it because I am using that rifle as a trainer for my 6 year old. Even bought a spare stock to cut down for him.

As for triggers. I don't own one but I have pulled VQ and Kidd. VQ for the money and Kidd if you just want the best feeling trigger.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
If you are going to try to make the hole bigger, I would probably try using a reamer rather than a drill... For making holes slightly larger, reamers tend to give much cleaner results.

I'd also do it from the front of the sight - if the aperture tapers, you want the narrowest part closest to your eye so you get a crisp edge.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
If you are going to try to make the hole bigger, I would probably try using a reamer rather than a drill... For making holes slightly larger, reamers tend to give much cleaner results.

I'd also do it from the front of the sight - if the aperture tapers, you want the narrowest part closest to your eye so you get a crisp edge.

I will probably leave it alone as I prefer my CZ 452 for hunting.

But thank you for the tips. That is good info.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Y'all have convinced me that I need to build a super lightweight, super accurate 10/22. Can that be done or will it require a heavy bull barrel? Or just buy a tac sol already built?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Y'all have convinced me that I need to build a super lightweight, super accurate 10/22. Can that be done or will it require a heavy bull barrel? Or just buy a tac sol already built?

The two don't lend themselves well to each other.

Super light? Awesome for hunting. 3 MOA is good enough for squirrel heads.

Super accurate? Generally if you are shooting tiny groups you are either prone or at a bench on sandbags. Then why do you care if your rifle is heavy? And a heavy rifle is easier to shoot tiny groups with.

Decide what you are going to use it for and proceed accordingly.

Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Magpul's stock for the take-down, is where it's at.

Arc.