SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bren 2 may be coming sooner rather than later.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bren 2 may be coming sooner rather than later. Login/Join 
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted
Bren 2

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with this platform. What makes it preferable or desirable over an M4 style AR?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A source at CZ told me that the Bren 2 might be here in 2019. And then only as a pistol or carbine for the civilian market.

James

We the unappreciated
must do the unimaginable
and see the unthinkable
to protect the ungrateful

Posts: 801 | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I am not familiar with this platform. What makes it preferable or desirable over an M4 style AR?

Basically A SCAR with better control ergos and 2 lbs less weight. If you like the AR this will do nothing for you as there are lightweight ARs. Some don’t like the straight stock of the AR. I find more traditional drop comb stocks easier to shoot. I also prefer a side charger. All this at a little over 6 lbs and sidefolding stock would make a handy package.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That Instagram post from MAC was almost 2 years ago and no updates since. The general consensus from those in-the-know on the Bren boards are to not hold your breath for a US intro anytime soon.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The original Bren 805 is basically a cheaper SCAR. It’s good for the price, but a bit heavy and has some annoying features like a lack of a bolt release, a reciprocating bolt handle (like the SCAR) and a funky stock. The 806 Bren 2 fixes most of these issues.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...dular-assault-rifle/

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Yeah the Bren 2 isn't close. That post was old.

It is a great rifle on paper though. Imagine a slightly better SCAR for under $2k. That's what's got me excited.

I love the Bren 1, but there is definitely room for improvement. Weight and lock back are the two biggest issues for me. The Bren 2 looks like the business if it can shoot.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I've had my full auto BREN Mk2 since 2002. She works just fine.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:

Basically A SCAR with better control ergos and 2 lbs less weight. If you like the AR this will do nothing for you as there are lightweight ARs. Some don’t like the straight stock of the AR. I find more traditional drop comb stocks easier to shoot. I also prefer a side charger. All this at a little over 6 lbs and sidefolding stock would make a handy package.

What? The SCAR 16S with a 16" barrel weighs 7.25lbs. All the data I have seen on the BREN 1 shows it weighs more than the SCAR at nearly 8lbs. Where is the data showing the new BREN 2 with an equivalent barrel length weighs 5.25lbs (2 lbs less) than a SCAR?

All the articles state 6lbs with an SBR barrel and without iron sights. That's not 2lbs less than a comparable SCAR.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah they get the SCAR-haters or wannabes all hot and bothered, but the Brens aren’t here now nor do they have the aftermarket the SCAR does.

Oh, my AR weighs 5 pounds... with no barrel, sights, or gas tube! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
<SNIP>

Oh, my AR weighs 5 pounds... with no barrel, sights, or gas tube! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Is that with a loaded mag?

While you 806 guys have been sitting around holding your breath for the last 2 years, with no real end in sight, I've been enjoying my SBR'd 805 ... with a retro magwell, Manticore lower handguard and Bushmaster ACR stock (just like the SCAR boys)

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actual Bren 2s (LE/MIL guns, full auto) have been here for awhile. I could go shoot one this week if I wanted to. However, as of a couple months ago there are no plans for a semi civilian legal version. They are too busy filling military contracts. I'll check again this week, but my hopes are not high. Which is a bummer because they are great guns.

I always jokingly call them the poor mans SCAR. If I had to choose one of the two I'd honestly probably get the Bren, even the 805. I wouldn't have the desire to immediately replace the trigger. All the Brens I've handled have one of the best service rifle type triggers I've seen. The Geissele Super SCAR is quite nice. But that's hundreds of $ on top of an already very expensive rifle. Also you can't break the Brens bolt with a PMAG.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my 805, you can lock the bolt to the rear with one hand. It only took a few minutes to remember to hit the charging handle on a reload. Handle is in pretty much the same location as an AR's bolt release when it is locked to the rear. When you run it on the right side, then its the familiar AK style.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post