SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rimfire scope for Ruger 10/22 to apply basic marksmanship skills
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire scope for Ruger 10/22 to apply basic marksmanship skills Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted
Hi all,

I have searched quite a bit in the forum and have found several threads containing great scope recommendations for a Ruger 10/22. But none of them are fully satisfying what I'm looking for. Maybe what I want doesn't exist. Let's see.

I have a basic wood-stocked 10/22 that I can shoot out to 200 yards. I realize a 10/22 isn't a precision rifle, but I'd like to use it to apply basic marksmanship skills out to that distance. I'd like to find a variable-power scope under $300 that is in the 2-7x/2-10x/3-15x magnification range, is relatively small and lightweight, has exposed elevation turret, and a Mil-based reticle that I can use to estimate distance and apply my dope. SFP is fine. Adjustable parallax is preferred but not required.

Does something like that exist? What would you recommend to get me close for my intended purpose? Thanks for your time.

Chris

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't really exist. In that price range, anything of acceptable quality will have capped turrets, and you will have to custom order a mil based reticle. For .22LR you really want adjustable parallax or 50-60 yard fixed.

The Leupold VX-II EFR 3-9x Rimfire was outstanding. I have one along with a VX-2 updated version. I have a VX-I 2-7x which is small and light and perfect for a 10/22. But they are all discontinued and Leupold has fallen out of favor.

I recently bought a Primary Arms SFP 1-6x ACSS .22LR scope for an AR .22 build. Seems pretty good so far, with drop lines that go out to 200 yards.

They also have a 6x fixed power with the .22LR reticle.

Ranging is based on standard size 12 ounce cans and long neck beer bottles. They really got that right!

This guy kind of hits all your needs, but is kinda big for a 10/22:

https://www.primaryarms.com/sl...ed-r-grid-2b-reticle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the fixed 6x ACSS 22lr scope for my 10/22. This summer was shooting eggs at 200 yards. Once I got the wind, it was fairly easy. and FUN!!

Posts: 275 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a few out there-

Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7×32
There's one specifically for rim fire

Bushnell 3.5-10 x 36mm with a bdc and turrets
Again, specifically for rim fire

There's a BSA that is supposed to be pretty durable and accurate as well-

https://bsaoptics.com/product-...rifle-scopes/page/2/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
There is this and this . I have the Covenant 7 on one of my target rifles.

They're not going to be as nice as a more expensive scope, but they're really good for the money. The latter even has an option that gets you down to $250.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you could see yourself upping the ante just a bit, the Vortex Diamondback Tactical will do what you want. We have several shooters using them in the matches I put on where they shoot out to 225 yards. FFP, exposed turrets, side parallax, MIL or MOA graduated “tree” reticle, decent glass for the price point...the only thing it lacks when compared to more expensive scopes is a zero stop.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 811 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you can go away from a variable, the SWFA SuperSniper 10X is a great scope for the money.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies! There were some scopes recommended here that do come close to what I'm looking for. I also found this:

Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44mm FFP Rifle Scope - MIL-DOT

The only negative is its quite heavy and large. I know it may look a bit silly on a 10/22, but oh well.

If only SWFA made their SWFA SS 2.5-10x32 Ultralight Rifle Scope with a SFP MRAD reticle that would the bomb!

I'd really like an MRAD reticle for consistency with the future 6.5CM precision rifle I have in the planning stages.

Posts: 2332 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shoot nrl 22 matches, and the most popular scope is Athlon. The least expensive model with FFP in I think it is 6-24 with a great reticle good turrets with zero stop, is around $300.
They also make one that is like 4-16 I think. With a 20 MOA base I can get elevation to 300 before I have to start using the hold off reticle.
It also has focus( parallax) down to 10 yards with a side focus adjustment that is very convenient to use.

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I picked up a BSA Sweet 22 scope for a 10-22, it came 2 or 3 sets of knobs for different weight bullets. I think at that time it was only maybe $100 otd and it has everything you are wanting, its currently listed on the BSA site for $79 so it may not be anything you even want to mess with.

I don't remember how it performed its been so long since I've shot it, but it's still on the gun, so that's a good sign.

Since then, for a cheap scope I just go to Walmart and pick up a Leupold Rifleman, in you price range it would be the 4-12x40 and have a second dot on the bottom vertical let, but they have capped adjustments and no parallel adjustment ... but as I've gotten older I've found the more adjustable parts there are, the more there is to go wrong ... especially with lower end optic's.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Bushnell 3.5-10x on a 22 and it was a nice little scope. Mind you I never used it past 50 yards.....

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post