SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    KelTec RDB-S. Yes. Glowing Range Report
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KelTec RDB-S. Yes. Glowing Range Report Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I regret my post. Sorry.

Rogue had it correctly.

It was personal experience from my own rifle.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
I regret my post. Sorry.

Rogue had it correctly.

It was personal experience from my own rifle.

All I'm after is people speaking from experience. When I asked you why, it was not necessary for anyone else to step in and guess. They should speak for themselves and let you answer for your part.

Opinion is no substitute, nor is conjecture.

Arc.

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 26086 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I like the packaging for the twenty round Colts, having the old FSN.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7204 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great setup, man. I also like where you went with the 20 rd mags, they just seem perfect for it.

When they announced this gun, I was all interest. Could not manage to locate one in black before our crappy new state laws went into effect, so I'll wait until I can leave I guess.

I'm interested to see what you think of it. Have you seen the factory rail that I can't seem to find whether it's been released or not?

I was think that, a set of flip up irons on the rail, and whatever muzzle device would make for a handy package.

As for hot cartridges and where it throws them, I would actually like to hear where they land when shooting from the bench. The impression I have is that they should land somewhat clear, as far back towards the butt as the ejection port is, and looking how it angles. That, compared to the P90 which throws them straight down at the elbow and right at the base of the gripping hand. The bigger caliber version of both of these guns (RFB and FS2000) eject forward, which plops or dribbles brass in a neat pile just in front of your bench. None of these guns is designed for bench rest shooting, however.

Posts: 10519 | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Which crappy state laws? Here in MA, bullpups and almost any other non-AR are having a resurgence because the AG "reinterpreted" existing law and no one stopping her. So now no new ARs in MA. Of course, the old ones are now veeeeeery desireable...

Gun laws are stupid. They don't prevent crime, they produce a grey market, or at worst a black market.

The ejection on the RFB is indeed handy. My RFB enjoyment meant that once this little rifle came out I was all over it. I hope to know soon whether the RDB ejection is an issue for me.

I didn't see the factory rail thing, but it would drop right in if I thought I needed it and could find it.

I don't really anticipate needing the irons, the rear one is unobtrusive, the front a bit goofy. If I decide they aren't cutting it I'd just go buy some AR backup irons, there are soooo many choices of those now.

The iron sights on bullpups are almost all ridiculous. The various AUG ones hide on top of their scopes, and are really a last ditch. It's the nature of the weapon being so short, that you're going to use it with an optic by default.

Arc.

Posts: 26086 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Which crappy state laws?

Washington passed an initiative last fall that went into effect in July which reclassifies every semi auto everything in every caliber, rifle shotgun or pistol, as an assault weapon. It's all bad, and there's many parts to it, but basically: back door registration going forward for all transfers, under 21 (including 10-22's).

Yeah, agreed about the sights for sure. Understandably seems to be a bit of a comical afterthought with bullpups when a red dot or something often makes the most sense. I had wondered about the front sight on the RDB-S snagging on things, namely whatever bag setup I came up with. My thought on picking one up was towards installing a flash hider and a set of MBUS and call it good.

Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Here is how it looks shouldered:

Typical group standing with a red dot at 100yds:

Groups from a rest were all 9-10-X ring. So, shooting with support the rifle is very accurate, without, it'll do minute-of-man easily enough. It's small and light, so you move quite a bit. I'll be trying higher magnification.

Sighting in was easy, the trigger is great. Didn't have any issues with the barrel heating up, or any other snags. Was not able to duplicate any short sleeve problems. I highly recommend this little rifle.

Arc.

Frangas non Flectes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the review. Nice, all good stuff to hear. Man, I really want one.

Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
I'm considering a magnified, non illuminated optic. Backup sights, well, if you find yourself needing them... hmm. With one of these, I'd consider backups that functioned like pistol sights, and might yet still do those.

I'd like a shroud for the barrel that comes just past the end of it, a la Lewis Gun.

Arc.

Picture of alteon180e
posted Hide Post
i recently shot the s model. dont know of another bullpup with a rifle/non-pistol grip.

was extremely comfortable to shoot for me. cant explain it, i only shot 2 magazines through it.

recoil and trigger were both pleasant. only thing i noticed, was my sample had a fairly hard safety to engage.

Posts: 652 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Damn that thing is nearly in need of a holster!

Thanks for the review. I'm glad to see another bullpup and especially so if the trigger doesn't suck.

As for the magnified non illuminated scope, I have had good luck with Weaver's 1-3x, and Leupold's 1-4x on much harder kicking rifles.

Posts: 6217 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
I've got a Leupold 1-4x on my 16" 30.06. I could certainly put one on this rifle. If accuracy was meh off of a rest, I would be fine with just a red dot, because of the role I see for a rifle like this. Since it is capable of reliable accuracy, I think some magnification would be nice.

Whether the red dot, or a low power scope, I don't think I'll be worrying about backup irons.

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I got to handle one yesterday.

You don't realize how short it really is till you pick it up.
Heavier than I expected.
More solidly built, less plastic feeling than I expected (meaning less KelTec like than I expected lol)
Less money than I expected. Though more than I'd care to pay, it was in an area/store that's not known for being cheap, so most locations are probably lower.

When I shouldered it I was surprised at the angle it took. Naturally very muzzle high for me. I realize now that I didn't dry fire it, I would have liked to feel the trigger. Now so much the weight of it, but if it felt solid (my biggest grip about the SUB carbines, how mushy and bend-y the triggers feel)

Posts: 16997 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post