SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    KelTec RDB-S. Yes. Glowing Range Report
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KelTec RDB-S. Yes. Glowing Range Report Login/Join 
Picture of arcwelder76
posted
I've been meaning to for a while, but finally picked up the RDB-S. Its compact size is the reason. I've got one of Sigs Romeo 5's on it, cowitness with the backups.

With 20 round mags, it is ideal.

Also picked up some additional mags, which you might not have seen packaged like this:

They are brand new.

Anyway, I look forward to shooting it, my experience with the RFB tells me I'll enjoy it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arcwelder76,

Arc.

"Like a bitter weed, I'm a bad seed"- Johnny Cash

"I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel." - Pee Wee Herman

Rode hard, put away wet. RIP JHM

"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 26086 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post

Some perspective. Compared to a Colt CAR-15. Both rifles weigh similar, and the buttsocks are lined up.

Arc.

Posts: 26086 | Location: Love that dirty water, oh | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Other than a little vertical height shaved off, any reason you chose this over the standard pistol grip RDB? How sturdy is that front sight? I’ve always thought they looked a bit on the chintzy side.

"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad

Posts: 10879 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
It's all about the compact size. This rifle is the minimum length allowed, the standard RDB is longer, as well as the added height of the pistol grip.

It's a great backpack/bugout gun I'd say.

A throw lever didn't come with the Romeo, I'll see if I can get one from Sig. Without an optic, really though with this one, it'll fit in lots of bags.

As far as "looking chintzy" it does, but it's sturdy enough. Easy enough to replace if you manage to damage it. I could remove the irons, but they aren't really in the way.

Between dumb gun laws, and just seeing how small you can make a rifle that takes AR mags, this is the answer.

Arc.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a great backpack/bugout gun I'd say.

Yes, looks very slim and portable- from vids, looks possibly a little easier and more low profile to shoot from prone as well.

"In America, there is no such thing as poor people, there are lazy people."- Edmond's dad

Posts: 10879 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Yes, the whole feel is that of a Rem 700 or typical bolt rifle, as far as the grip. I like the 20's in it because they don't stick out very far, with 10's you'd have no issue prone. A 30? Meh.

Arc.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
A throw lever didn't come with the Romeo, I'll see if I can get one from Sig. Without an optic, really though with this one, it'll fit in lots of bags.
You'll have to buy an aftermarket mount as SIG doesn't offer one.

Posts: 43204 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Odd. The Romeo 7 he had came with one.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
The biggest surprise with the RDB is that it has a decent trigger. It also came with a Luck Irishman rail.
I put a Vortex UH-1 holographic sight and a Gunnar blast shield on mine.
It's worked perfectly so far.
The only downside I've seen is making sure the chamber is clear is pretty much impossible.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 95 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
It does have a nice trigger.

Remove the magazine. Rack the bolt, use the bolt hold open. Look into the mag well. No case? Clear.

Arc.

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if keltec has messed around with other calibers, specifically 300 Blackout. It would make a nice suppressed hog thumper.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6284 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
Yes, well. I wonder who wrote the book of love..

Arc.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
When you shoot from the bench, wear long sleeves.

Posts: 10836 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

Why?

Arc.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
What's something like that run if you don't mind me asking?

I've only seen them in magazine ads and was starting to wonder if the really exist. It's lack of evil features theoretically should make it a big seller here, but I've yet to see one.

Posts: 16997 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Once and Future SIG Shooter
Picture of Mike S
posted Hide Post
A gunshop I frequent has had one for a couple of months. It is the OD green model. I've handled it several times and I like the way it feels. I'm interested in hearing your impressions of yours after you shoot it.

Posts: 4488 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Why?

Consider the RDB's downward ejection at the butt of the rifle.

If you were sitting at a bench/table with your elbows propped on it, cases would be ejecting down onto the flat surface inside the pocket between your elbows and chest, where they I could easily see them potentially bouncing/rolling onto the exposed skin of your arm.

Posts: 23427 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arcwelder76
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
What's something like that run if you don't mind me asking?

I've only seen them in magazine ads and was starting to wonder if the really exist. It's lack of evil features theoretically should make it a big seller here, but I've yet to see one.

I'm in MA, so prices are a bit higher. The rifle, sight, and mags were almost $1400. The RDB-S lists at a higher price than the other models.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
quote:

Why?

Consider the RDB's downward ejection at the butt of the rifle.

If you were sitting at a bench/table with your elbows propped on it, cases would be ejecting down onto the flat surface inside the pocket between your elbows and chest, where they I could easily see them potentially bouncing/rolling onto the exposed skin of your arm.

Are you guys just guessing? This is a comment that should be coming from someone who has shot the rifle and actually experienced the issue. Maybe RichardC owns or has shot one, and has actual experience.. I hope so.

Additionally, it's not a machinegun. Beyond that, I also welded for many years. Some hot brass is a non-issue. This little rifle has a pencil barrel, I wager anything more than slow fire will produce bad accuracy. If I decide it is a real issue, I'll figure it out.

People, please don't make suggestions or give advice about something you have no experience with.

Please speak from experience when "helping."

A similar sentiment.

On so many topics, it is important that people speak with knowledge they actually possess. The pursuit of knowledge is why we do this, is it not? If bad information gets in because people are sitting at computers guessing, we are all the worse off for it.

I've posted this article before, and will continue to post it. Please give it a read because it defines quite well one problem with the internet, and an increasing dynamic of our society.

The Death of Expertise

Peoples inclination to be helpful is always welcome. We all need to be aware of what we don't know, and do our part to not muddy the water of someone elses pursuit of what is true. Learning and knowledge is something I really enjoy, and it is important that a place like this be a reliable source for us all.

I'm busy, but I hope to get this bad boy out to the range inside a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes, of course. My 5.56 is all loose mixed in .50cal ammo cans, so I'll be default putting a bunch of brands through it. All 55gr. The rifle is 1/7 so it would do heavier bullets. As I mentioned earlier, the rifle has a pencil barrel, so I expect some stringing if it heats up enough, just like the CAR-15 pictured.

Arc.

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun little gun!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 7939 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Odd. The Romeo 7 he had came with one.

Yeah, different RDS - I was referring to your Romeo 5, they only sell it with the fixed absolute cowitness (for an AR) height mount. But any Aimpoint Micro Pattern mount will work.

Posts: 43204 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post