SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Update page 2...So I Went Shooting (ELR)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update page 2...So I Went Shooting (ELR) Login/Join 
posted
I don't usually post much about my shooting as I'm not a "dig-me" kinda guy but this stay-in-place lockdown crap got the best of me so...I loaded up my rifle and went shooting the other day. To make the adventure complete, since I've got so little to do, I thought I share a few pictures of my escape.

I shoot ELR with large caliber "boomers" and go shooting 2-3 times a month. Also, with these big rifles, I never shoot less than a mile as I have other rifles that are cheaper and capable of shooting the lesser distances.

The rifle I took out was a .300 Norma Magnum shooting Hornady 225 ELD-Ms with a muzzle velocity of 2952 fps; temperature was 86 degrees with a DA of 5900 ft, the wind was moderate at 8-15 mph coming in at 4 o'clock

On this day, I started with a few rounds at distances of 1852 yards, going to 2235 yards and finishing up at 2373 yards. The pictures below are of the 2373 yard target:

First picture is looking through the rangefinder, without edit

Second picture is enlarged with an attempt at an arrow showing the target

The third picture is of the target at 2373 yards...5 hits out of 7 shots on the 36" (1-1/2 MOA) target

It was great to get away!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig Marine,

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Very nice..
Do you have a way to tell if you hit- like a camera set up at the target area..or use some other kind of feedback?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Nice!

At that distance, I couldn't see a Neon Green HEMTT.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Very nice..
Do you have a way to tell if you hit- like a camera set up at the target area..or use some other kind of feedback?

I've found that target cameras have their place but you quickly learn that spotting misses to make corrections in elevation and/or wind calls are critical. Cameras have a limited field of view so unless you have an impact within sight of the camera's view, they are of limited use.

As for knowing when I have an impact on target, I use the T1000 target flashers made by MagnetoSpeed that are impact activated and flash a LED light which is easily visible at long yardages. I use 1 on all targets past 1500 yards and put 2 on targets out past 2600 yards.

Here's a picture of the T1000 target indicator

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
My limited experience tells me thats a very impressive shot for a 30 cal. The Norma Mag must be a hammer. What is your rifle?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What rangefinder?
Ranging from the shooting position or from the target back at a vehicle...?

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Is the red Y-shaped thing an artifact of the optic? Rangefinder?

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of my smaller caliber rifles have been custom built using a variety of actions; Bighorns, Defiance and Remingtons and all of them shoot extremely well. When I started looking at the larger calibers for distances beyond 1500 yards, I found several of them capable but some seemed better than others. To be honest, I couldn't really make up my mind between the contenders so I opted for a rifle that allowed me to change barrels/calibers to fit my needs. To this end, I chose the Accuracy International AXMC which is a multi-caliber rifle that allows one to change bolts and barrels easily. The barrel is a 30" Bartlein with 1:9 twist with .215 FB chambered by Greg Young at Southern Precision Rifles (aka Bugholes). Let me also add that even with a good barrel, shooting at longer distances requires ammunition that is very consistent in muzzle velocity (low ES and SD) AND a bullet that will handle the transonic and subsonic transitions well; I've been very impressed with the Hornady 225 ELD-M bullets in this 300 NORMA.

The rangefinder I use is a Safran Vectronix Terrapin "X" which has worked well ranging from the firing line out to 2825 yards at 1 MOA and 1-1/2 MOA steel in low light conditions. When looking for target/impact area, I have ranged rocks out to 3465 yards. Ranging targets past 2825 or in bright sunlight can make reliable numbers "hit-or-miss" where we might get a reading only once or twice out of 10 attempts. It's been a great rangefinder but I'm shooting past its abilities so I will have to upgrade. Unfortunately the upgrade is expensive and will have to wait until the budget allows.

Thanks for the questions guys, it's always a pleasure to share...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Very cool. Is the red Y-shaped thing an artifact of the optic? Rangefinder?

Yes, my iPhone camera did not pick up the entire LRF reading of 2373 Y (Y for yards). One of these days I've got to learn to digiscope with a phone or camera. Some guys have by adapters for their spotting scopes but rangfinders have a smaller ocular objective and more difficult (at least for me) to capture the entire LED readout.

posted Hide Post
Just you, or do you have a spotter with you?

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because I can't begin to understand all of the factors that it must take to achieve multiple hits in a target of that size, at those distances. How many shots did you take ? ( the whole shooting visit) and how many times did you hit the intended target's ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you "upgrade" from an original terrapin to the X? I am wondering if you can compare the performance of the X to the original. I do not "ELR" and have found the original to be exception for my needs, but sometimes I wonder if the newer unit with the wireless would be worth the money over the original that that is built like a tank.
Thanks

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Just you, or do you have a spotter with you?

I don't shoot using the typical "shooter/spotter" routine where all the shooter does is run the gun while the spotter makes the calls and corrections. I spot my own shots and make my own corrections but we do use another set of eyes to spot just in case the shooter misses an impact. Spotting scopes generally have more power and a larger field of view than the scopes used on our rifles so it's helpful when another is watching downrange. Recoil management is important but, at these distances with this rifle, the time of bullet flight is about 2.5 seconds at 1 mile to over 4.5 seconds at 2400 yards. This gives the shooter plenty of time to get back on target to see his impact and make a correction for his next shot.

Bendable - Every trip and its successes or failures are different. I'd like to tell you the hit percentages are high but the simple truth is I honestly feel I've had a good day if my hits to shots fired ratio is 50/50. I've had better than 50/50 days but I've also had days where I couldn't buy a hit and I drive home in a daze wondering what just happened. Where I shoot, winds can be anywhere from 5 mph to over 60 mph. I won't shoot if the wind is over 35 mph at many yardages because I can't dial AND hold enough wind correction. I shot out to 1966 one day at a 30" round plate in 25 mph winds where my wind call was 7.3 MILS. A difference of 1 mph in wind would change the bullet's path 19.5 inches at the target. This was my first day shooting this rifle beyond 100 yards so I went 0 for my first 5 shots getting my elevation and wind dialed in; then I went 5 for 5. Not all days are like this; I've had 5 hits for 25 shot days also.

On the day last week this thread is about, I was 1 for 2 at 1850, 1 for 3 at 2236 and at 2373 I had 2 hits for the first 4 rounds and then 3 hits for my last three shots. Total for the day was of 7 for 12. It was a VERY good day.

Stlhead - The original Terrapins are better units than the "X" versions BUT, they are no longer supported by Vectronix. I had the opportunity to purchase one a while back but didn't want to take the risk knowing that should anything happen, I had an expensive paperweight. Some of the guys I know who shoot ELR are using the military grade Vectronix PLRF 25C which ranges beyond 6000 meters but at $9500 it's a big nut to crack. With the LRFs we have, when we set targets beyond a units capability, we'll set two targets and go somewhere between them and range both directions, and then, add up the numbers.

posted Hide Post
I have played with the 25c and they are nice, but honestly I am super happy with the performance of my terrapin and I got it before vectronix decided to drop support for it, I guess I will just wait and if it pukes see what is out there then. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time,

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pleasure guys, thank you for the questions. Before ELR I used to shoot PRS/NRL but my body can't take getting in and out of position on obstacles/barricades anymore.

I realize that ELR is not for everybody; locations that allow shooting at these distances can be hard to find and it does get expensive but...it scratches my shooting itch.

posted Hide Post
Scratches your shooting itch?
Talk about an understatement!

7 out of 12? WOW!!!!

Years ago, I thought I was cool because a few guys that I used to work with who liked to "hide in bushes and sneak around" taught me how to hit shit at a grand. Watching them work out further, 1200, 1500 was impressive as hell!

Anything beyond that blows my mind.
1800 damn!
2300? CRAZY!

Especially with someone just watching splashes, and YOU'RE the one reading the wind, temperatures, and everything else that's affecting that chunk-o-lead.

Ever think about the "King of the 2 mile"?

(As far as locations, I'm in Chicago- it's the worlds largest outdoor range. All I'd need to do is block traffic for a few blocks, but that wind would probably kill me! Big Grin )

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8336 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So that you know,
After reading your initial post , I was enthralled.

I read it again and had visions of you fast roping in to safe hot zone ( you were well out of mortar range )

your spotter was already down and setting up ,

three others on your team went to your Six to secure a perimeter.

four minutes later the prop wash was gone, dust had settled and your reign of terror would begin.

steel plates were now afraid , very afraid.

then , we find out that you are not , super human.

Smile

posted Hide Post
Big Grin
Thank you...I don't know about "super human" but I do get lucky at times.

As I mentioned above when you asked about hit ratio, I do have bad days but those days only make the good days that much sweeter. I think most shooters who have solid fundamentals will tell you, when they miss, it's WIND related. She's a strange mistress and sometimes unkind.

Sometimes the wind blows you off the target, sometimes the wind blows you in...always hope for the latter.

CPD SIG - Shooting distances have increased quickly. I think the advancements/improvements in cartridge case design, bullets with better ballistics, better scopes/reticles, electronics (rangefinders and weather meters) as well as ballistic programs have all helped the shooter extend his shooting capabilities. Don't get me wrong, we were shooting past 1000 yards when I was in the Marine Corps back in the 60's but it required a lot of information that could only be learned in the field in various shooting conditions and environments.

It's a good time to be a shooter.

Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Holy shite. I thought ringing the 300yd gong was an accomplishment.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post