SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MP5 clone or scorpion with binary trigger?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MP5 clone or scorpion with binary trigger? Login/Join 
posted
Which would you do?? I want a sub gun, I really like the idea of an MP5 clone but for 1600 bucks I can get a scorpion plus a binary trigger and still have cash left over for accessories/mags.
It’s a hard decision honestly, both options are pretty bitchin in my book.
Other considerations are a ps90 or a vector but I think I want to stick with 9mm and i never see vectors in stores these days

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
I'd lean scorpion with your choice of sbr or a good brace, and skip the trigger. Drop the money on a micro or mro instead. Scorpion has it beat in cost of mags and parts and plenty of aftermarket support.

I do like the vectors I've shot and have shot a few ps90s as well. If I had to rank in some order, it'd be scorpion, mp5, and then vector. The ps90 I don't throw in that mix as it's way different then the rest. One of those ones you buy after already having a pistol subgun.

Another option to throw in would be the mpx. I'd go that for similar cost over the mp5.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
If I didn't have either I'd go with the Scorpion first ... however I already had both and went with the MP5 first ... it dropped in and was worked perfectly.

I plan on getting one for my Scorpion but have to free up some cash as I've taken on another project that I need to figure out what I'm going to do with it first.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I get anything but the scorpion I won’t do the binary trigger. I’d only do that because the scorpion is 735 bucks

posted Hide Post
I also vote to get the Scorpion and pass on the trigger. I have a pretty early production Scorpion and two MKE MP5 clones. The MP5s are cooler, there's no doubt, but the Scorpion is 90% of the gun at 70% of the price. It also has a thriving aftermarket.

Also look at the PTR MP5 clones. They're a little cheaper than a POF or MKE (way cheaper than HK), but still well made and reliable.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
I also vote to get the Scorpion and pass on the trigger. I have a pretty early production Scorpion and two MKE MP5 clones. The MP5s are cooler, there's no doubt, but the Scorpion is 90% of the gun at 70% of the price. It also has a thriving aftermarket.

Also look at the PTR MP5 clones. They're a little cheaper than a POF or MKE (way cheaper than HK), but still well made and reliable.

The PTR is the MP5 I’m looking at, was thinking about holding out for the psa version if it ever happens or is any good. But I’m not that patient. 800 bucks or not.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Scorpion w/ trigger

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I have a 9MM AR SBR and a Scorpion.

I'd love a legit MP5 but costs being what they are, the Scorpion is great. If it had been out 5 years earlier I doubt I would have built the 9MM AR SBR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got to handle a scorpion at the store yesterday and now I see why they’re so cheap. Even the controls were plastic. I think I might just save up for an MP5 or vector maybe

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Omega Arms line that Atlantic carries, I've been thoroughly impressed with both of mine, and they've got great customer support.

I had ordered the barreled receiver, which included everything except the trigger pack, grip frame & mags ... but I've been an HK owner for a long time and had all that stuff, but it saved me a couple hundred dollars

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
I got to handle a scorpion at the store yesterday and now I see why they’re so cheap. Even the controls were plastic. I think I might just save up for an MP5 or vector maybe

I thought the same think initially. Changed out the safety and charging handle and that made a big difference. The scorpion really is a sweet shooter.

Does anyone make a 3 position trigger housing like the mp5? I would like one to put the bfsiii into.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I will be in the minority, but skip the Scorpion. I have bought two, and sold both because it didn't do it for me at all. The ergos are terrible, and you will have to spend additional money making it useable. You will need to add a brace, and will want to change the pistol grip, trigger spring and safety immediately. The charging handle and trigger will also likely be things you want to change. Additionally, while the Scorpions I had were reliable, they weren't all that much fun to shoot. They have a very heavy bolt and operate on a simple blowback system. You might come out ahead buying a Scorpion, but you will likely be happier with an MP5

You named all the reasons I grabbed a MPX instead. It brings a grin to everyone’s face that shoots it. Throw it in the mix to.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The first couple of times I handled the Scorpion convinced me that I NEEDED to go with the MPX. Admittedly back then (less than a couple of years ago) it was an easier decision to make because SIG has since decided that their lil' baby should be considerable more of a painful hit to the wallet than it used to be. The pistol Evo3 price has remained around $700-800 while the MPX pistol has gone from $1350 to the low $1800s and higher.

While polymer usually isn't a turn-off to me, the manner in which the Scorpion pistol is slathered with the stuff was and still is. Along with its ray gun aesthetics it just felt too cheesy and cheap compared to the SIG and the Zenith that I was also considering at the time. I know that they are very capable guns but the CZ just didn't ooze the right kind of "subgun" aura/charm/personality/whatever; it personifies too much 'Super Soaker' than anything more "serious". And that is its ultimate downfall to me.

I've since shot a former coworker's moderately modded Evo3 and have kind of softened my op/ed about the gun. It still looks too toyish to my eye but it does shoot very well even in stock form (though that off-side safety switch frickin' sucks). The replaced controls and grip on the modified example made more of a difference to me but it still doesn't inspire any yearning nor does it have the 'IT' factor of a MP5 or any of its offshoots and clones. Sometimes the looks and feel count. Sometimes a lot.

I've brought in a number of SP5Ks into our shop and while people can and will gripe about its price and about the differences between it and the MP5/SP89, it's STILL an HK and carries the actual DNA of the ancestor. Same reason many folks still love and buy Colt 1911s and LE6920s. The clones are next on the ancestral tree and do feel very much like The Real Deal even if they missing the actual brand name and moniker. If it weren't for the fact that the MPX operated like an AR-15 I would've chosen a clone without a doubt over the Scorpion even though they're twice the price. It feels like and has the look of a proper subgun.

All that said, I do kind of like the Scorpion's aesthetics better in carbine form. With the stock it looks better proportioned and balanced in its polymer clothes, less like a chopped up hodgepodge of plastic shapes and angles like the blob of a pistol does. Plus I always thought it would be neat to own a prop from Star Trek. Wink But the fake SilencerCo can on one version is a bit much. Frown

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m really not interested in the MPX in the slightest bit. Sig can kiss my ass with those $60 mags and the price of the gun itself. Plus they just look and operate too much like an AR, and I can build a 9mm ar sub gun for cheap. I think I’m leaning towards an MP5 clone. Question is which one? I really like the classic MP5 navy and would most likely just put a brace and maybe a red dot and leave it at that

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Kimberkid has a lot of experience with different brands and I'd defer to his experience over mine as it is more varied.

I have a few Zenith Z-5 braced pistols and they have been flawless. All of mine are unmodified semi-autos. I have a low profile mount on a Z-5RS with an Aimpoint that is fast and fun to shoot. The shorter barreled pistol, a Z-5P, I left stock. It is equally fun to shoot. The SB Tactiacl brace has really enhanced the enjoyment of shooting and owning these pistols.

Good luck with some fun choices...

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
I will be in the minority, but skip the Scorpion. I have bought two, and sold both because it didn't do it for me at all. The ergos are terrible, and you will have to spend additional money making it useable. You will need to add a brace, and will want to change the pistol grip, trigger spring and safety immediately. The charging handle and trigger will also likely be things you want to change. Additionally, while the Scorpions I had were reliable, they weren't all that much fun to shoot. They have a very heavy bolt and operate on a simple blowback system. You might come out ahead buying a Scorpion, but you will likely be happier with an MP5

I agree one hundred percent with this. I want to like the scorpion. It’s cool and there’s tons of accessories for it but one rental at the range turned me off on it. I’ve had two MP5 clones and have an MPX now and those soft shooting pussycats will ruin blowback for you.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:

Cheap polymer (plastic) like GLOCK, Walther, HK, SIG? I’ve shot full auto MP5s and own a SBR Scorpion. The MP5 is more refined but the Scorpion is not cheap as in poorly made.

Posts: 12435 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Maybe my Scorpion is an oddball (I guess it is reading these posts) but it's trigger really isn't bad. It was one of the first ones in the country when they were initially released though and still used more parts from it's SMG counterpart so maybe that has something to do with it? I wish I had a trigger pull gauge, it feels very similar to my MP5 albeit slightly heavier. Awesome little SBR.

Scorpions are rock solid. Even with the money you might spend to get it how you want it I'd still say you're coming out on top value wise.

If y'all want to talk about a shit trigger, come give my UZI a try Big Grin

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can the the PTR 9CT feed hollow points?

Posts: 929 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-qV4xTRn0

After watching this video about 20 times I ordered the BFSiii for the Scorpion. Time will tell if I am able to run it that smooth.

Posts: 153 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post