SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    The F-Class World championships have concluded (Now with pictures)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The F-Class World championships have concluded (Now with pictures) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaybird86:
I just have to say Good Luck Nikon User.

Also, that pointing discussion is fascinating to a non long range shooter like me. Glad you discovered the problem!

Thanks Jaybird86. I felt silly when I was faced with the reality of the situation. I thought I could skip pointing but when all else is eliminated, reality sets in. The thing of it is, I feel a little foolish talking about that lest some people just think it braggadocious of me to talk about seeing a 3/8 MOA difference at 1000 yards with such a small adjustment. It's just the way things are.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
One of these days I'm going to have to take a chrono and some pointed rounds with me to a match. Then I can sort it out in the practice range.

The big problem is I don't have local, regular access to anything over 840 yards, so figuring this stuff out isn't that easy. I sure would like to, though, because free bc is free bc.

The difference won't show up on the chrono unless you have it downrange. But if your goal is to get a solid MV, then by all means, chrono away.

It will be quite difficult to detect anything inside of say, 300 yards. But at 300+ you "should" be able to detect something. You might set up two targets, side by side and then fire one non-pointed round on the right target, then a pointed round on the left target, and then back to the right with a non-pointed and do on.

After 5 or 10 rounds of each, you should be able to see some kind of trend.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jbcummings:
Good luck Nikon!

I've worked at the old Nortel campus about a mile from there and didn't know that range even existed.

Thanks.

That's too funny. That range has been here for multiple decades. I used to shoot there in the early 80s.

BTW, I also did a stint at Northern Telecom in the mid to late 80s, but in North Carolina. That was before they changed their name to Nortel.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
Thanks for all the support here.

CQB60: Yes, it's a nice museum and it's located in Gatineau, QC. I hope to have the chance to visit it, again.

hrcjon: It's not as difficult as one would expect, especially with target rifles. From the Canadian side of things, you need to declare your rifle that is with you at customs and you get a form that describes the rifle and you pay some money for that license. The ammo that you bring in must be the one for your rifle, and you're allowed up to 5000 rounds. Once you have that form, you can travel around in Canada.

The FCWC management has stated you must present that completed form when you check in as a competitor.

Going back out, you need to return the form to the Canadian customs. I have to check what it takes to exit and return in to USA with a rifle. I will post all that as we go along.
First, I wish you the best in your shooting championship.

Second, you need to read the next couple of paragraphs beyond the allowed up to 5000 rounds without a permit. I learned this in 2009 when I drove from Texas to Alaska with 4990 rounds of ammo (my movers would move my firearms but not my ammo). I got a little surprise at the Canadian border when I learned that each adult in the vehicle got 200 rounds tax free, but I had to pay taxes for 4590 rounds of ammo for the "priviledge" of driving thru Canada for 4 days. Fortunately, I had an spreadsheet with me (it took a lot of selling to get down to 4990 rounds of ammo) and they let you chose the most expensive ammo to consider tax free. However, I had to haggle over the value, got lots of "do you really pay that little for ammo in Texas?", and it cost me an hour at the border.

In 2014, I moved to Canada, started the proccess to obtain a Canadian Permit & Acquisition License, and looooong 10 months later was the proud possessor of a PAL. The 5000 rounds total / 200 per adult tax free was still the case when I took the PAL class and test.

EDIT: Just looked it up and you get 1,500 rounds tax/duty free for a competition. It's 200 rounds for hunting or driving to Alaska.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
One of these days I'm going to have to take a chrono and some pointed rounds with me to a match. Then I can sort it out in the practice range.

The big problem is I don't have local, regular access to anything over 840 yards, so figuring this stuff out isn't that easy. I sure would like to, though, because free bc is free bc.

The difference won't show up on the chrono unless you have it downrange. But if your goal is to get a solid MV, then by all means, chrono away.

It will be quite difficult to detect anything inside of say, 300 yards. But at 300+ you "should" be able to detect something. You might set up two targets, side by side and then fire one non-pointed round on the right target, then a pointed round on the left target, and then back to the right with a non-pointed and do on.

The chrono is because I don't chrono now. I use the Litz custom drag curves, and then enter observed dope and let it calculate velocity and drop charts for me.

If I don't have the correct bc, I'll need the correct velocity. Wink

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

The chrono is because I don't chrono now. I use the Litz custom drag curves, and then enter observed dope and let it calculate velocity and drop charts for me.

If I don't have the correct bc, I'll need the correct velocity. Wink

I totally understand, especially in light of your needs. We just use LabRadars and Magnetoscopes. We only need to account for known distances at various venues, something we can plot ahead of time and the fine tune on site.

The difficulty in this event is that the distances are in meters 700, 800 and 900. That does not match up exactly with our 800, 900 and 1000 yard come-ups and in ICFRA "Palma" format, only two convertible sighters per match.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
First, I wish you the best in your shooting championship.

Second, you need to read the next couple of paragraphs beyond the allowed up to 5000 rounds without a permit. I learned this in 2009 when I drove from Texas to Alaska with 4990 rounds of ammo (my movers would move my firearms but not my ammo). I got a little surprise at the Canadian border when I learned that each adult in the vehicle got 200 rounds tax free, but I had to pay taxes for 4590 rounds of ammo for the "priviledge" of driving thru Canada for 4 days. Fortunately, I had an spreadsheet with me (it took a lot of selling to get down to 4990 rounds of ammo) and they let you chose the most expensive ammo to consider tax free. However, I had to haggle over the value, got lots of "do you really pay that little for ammo in Texas?", and it cost me an hour at the border.

In 2014, I moved to Canada, started the proccess to obtain a Canadian Permit & Acquisition License, and looooong 10 months later was the proud possessor of a PAL. The 5000 rounds total / 200 per adult tax free was still the case when I took the PAL class and test.

EDIT: Just looked it up and you get 1,500 rounds tax/duty free for a competition. It's 200 rounds for hunting or driving to Alaska.

I received all my paperwork from DCRA, invitation and so forth. I think I have everything set.

So, if you moved to Canada in 2014, did you not update your location? Where in Canada are you now?

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:

I received all my paperwork from DCRA, invitation and so forth. I think I have everything set.

So, if you moved to Canada in 2014, did you not update your location? Where in Canada are you now?
My location is correct as I moved to Texas in '16. I'm in oil & gas and have lived in most if the oil patches in North America.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

My location is correct as I moved to Texas in '16. I'm in oil & gas and have lived in most if the oil patches in North America.

Excellent. My guess is you were in Alberta. But it's just a guess. I'm just north of Houston myself.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Is there a web site where we can all follow the trials and tribulations of the team?

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Is there a web site where we can all follow the trials and tribulations of the team?

Good Luck,

RMD

LOL. No, not really. We are just a team formed with members of the same club.

The event we are going to is found here: www.2017fcwc.ca

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:

Good Luck,

RMD

LOL. No, not really. We are just a team formed with members of the same club.

The event we are going to is found here: www.2017fcwc.ca

Thanks. Will follow. Shoot straight !

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a weekend, my hands are sore. I had planned on processing my brass over the last few weeks, but what with graduations, swim team season, a bad cold and other crap including a car problem with my oldest daughter's car, I got delayed in my brass processing.

So over the weekend, I resized, polished, trimmed, chamfered and deburred and primed 400 cases All the boxes are setup for the final push starting in two weeks, measure powder and seat bullets.

I also pointed 440 bullets, only 60 more to go.

Working in batches, I got it down to a science.
20 minutes to resize 100 cases.
2.5 hours of tumbling.
7 minutes of fishing 100 cases from the media.
20 minutes to resize the next 100 cases.
Start the polishing.
5 minutes to trim, chamfer and deburr the 100 cleaned cases from earlier.
7 minutes to seat the new primers.

Wait until the batch is done in the polisher then continue.

The Giraud trimmer is quite powerful and turns very quickly. Since I trim every load, there is very little to do every time, but the torque accumulates in the thumb and so after trimming 400 cases yesterday...

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
but the torque accumulates in the thumb and so after trimming 400 cases yesterday...

All artists must suffer for their art . . .

Two words: Mechanix Gloves.

RMD Smile

posted Hide Post
Nah. It builds character.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NikonUser,

Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Hello NikonUser. I have been keeping up with your plans and preparations for the event. It sounds like a very big deal. The drive alone will be a big adventure.

The changes to the team members sounds a little worrisome but you seem unfazed by that that change.

Wanted to wish you and the team good luck in this endeavor.

Out of curiosity, what brand and model press do you use?

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personnel issues are always present when you have more than one person on a team. It's much worse when it's not work-related and you actually have to pay your own way. It's expected and we take it in stride.

Thank you for the nice wishes. It is a "very big deal."

My press is a Redding T-7 currently loaded with .308 small base F/L S-type sizer, competition seater die, a mandrel holder with a -.002 mandrel, a Whidden pointing die and a set of .45ACP dies.

posted Hide Post
Less than two weeks before I start my pilgrimage to the FCWC. We've had another person drop off, but we had just added one.

RWD: I bought a pair of Mechanix gloves on your recommendation. I should have done that long ago. Thanks for the recommendation.

The realoading marathon has started; all bullets are pointed and the brass is all prepped and primed. I have 100 rounds loaded already.

This weekend, as a diversion, I will be taking part in a 50yard Rimfire match with my (very) old but tricked out Ruger 10/22. I'm even thinking of replacing the 3-9X36 scope on it now with the Nightforce NXS 12-42X56 I have on hand. That would be insane.

I have RWS Target Rifle ammo and Norma TAC-22 ammo. I think I have some Eley left somewhere, but I can't find it. This should be fun.

posted Hide Post
Fun day at the rimfire match. I actually hit the target. I discovered that the scope (3-9X32) is junk and I need more magnification. The RWS ammo is good stuff and the 10/22 with the heavy barrel and the other stuff I did to it is very good.

Got back home and then got into the loading marathon. I charge powder for 100 cases in just about 62-65 minutes. The Autotrickler works very well and gets me spot on about 50% of the time, the rest is divided between one or two kernels over or one kernel short. Plastic tweezers to the rescue.

It takes me about 20 minutes to seat 100 bullets. So all told about 100 cartridges every 90 minutes. I did three boxes of 100 rounds this afternoon. All that remains now is a box of 100 rounds and that will be tomorrow night.