SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short action calibers in a long action?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short action calibers in a long action? Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
I have a Rem700 BDL left hand long action that has been gone over by Lester Bruno.
When it's time to change the barrel, could a short action round be chambered in this long action without adding problems? Just kicking around the idea.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would say yes. At one time Savage arms only made long actions, I have a 110 Varmint in .22-250 and it's one of those.

I never had a feeding problem with it, even working the action fast for a follow-up shot on a fox.

I have been thinking about swapping out the barrel to another caliber for long range target shooting as I'm more into target shooting that varmint hunting now. And the benefit of the Savage Arms action is it makes a easy switch barrel.

So yeah, I'm fairly certain that it will be no problem.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is already a 30.06 all it takes is a barrel swap. If it is chambered in most anything else you will need a different bolt face.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Actually hand-loading some short action calibers will benefit with the longer OAl of the long action. Such as a 260....

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Yes.

Actually hand-loading some short action calibers will benefit with the longer OAl of the long action. Such as a 260....

You see .284 Winchester (technically a short-action cartridge) put in long action rifles pretty often. Both the case and the bullets are a little longer than with the .260.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
The M24 SWS is a long action 700 chambered in .308

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I have a post-64 Win model 70 long action that was re-barreled to .308 and I've never had any issues with it. The shorter rounds feed just fine in it.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!

I love the '06, especially when you add about 4" of barrel and a Vais brake but the 6's and 6.5s have a strong pull in their direction.
Then I look at the PILE of bullets and brass I have....

Sure would suck to have another rifle built!
Now I just need a good lottery ticket or someone else's credit card. Who needs a kidney?

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many of the budget bolt rifles are long action even for the shorter 308 based rounds. Making all the models the same saves them a few dollars in manufacturing costs.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post