SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG Romeo 5
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG Romeo 5 Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
My second Romeo 5 arrived.
I'm swapping around some optics on a few of my ARs.
Really like these sights. Bang for the buck is high & the videos of their durability is more than any abuse I'll ever give it.
Anyone else using these?

**** The fact that they're made in China doesn't bother me.
So much of the things in my home originated from one of their factories I've come to accept it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm currently rocking a Romeo 4H on my ACR and I like it just fine. I would have gone for a 5 but spent a bit more and grabbed the 4 as I liked the reticle instead. If I had the need for a cheap red dot I wouldn't have a problem picking a 5 up.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a Romeo 5 on my CZ Scorpion pistol with an SBT Evo "brace". That little sight makes that little gun shoot like a big one. Everyone wants a turn with it. I have a Trijicon MRO and I like that little Romeo just as much.

Yeah, I used to have a couple of guns.

Posts: 434 | Location: North Central Ohio | Registered: February 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I habe a 5 and a 4m. The mounting screw on the 4m broke. Just sheered off halfway down the screw. I need to call sig about it. It came with two mounts i swapped mounts, but i can't get the broken screw out of the mount now and liked it better.

Other than that, i dont have any issues with the Romeo optics. Expect i looked through my friends Trijicon MRO and fell in love with it the other day.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have a 4m I got for a rifle since sold. I like the 65MOA reticle. The naming convention is still confusing to me and with so many options, Sig should have done a better job with explaining them. That said, I love the features and form factory. Approaching a price where I'd just get an Aimpoint PRO on sale, however.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
IMO Sig accessories are overpriced Chinese garbage.

You can get similar optics for less. Sig just slaps their name on them and jacks the price up.

At $150 the Romeo 5 actually seems like some nice features for the money. What worries me is Sig’s accessories are always overpriced, so I just stay away in general, but I can’t say the Romeo 5 has any issues. TBH, if I didn’t say Sig on the side I’d probably buy the Romeo 5. For cheap optics I buy Vortex for the quality and warranty.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
To bad Vortex can't get their battery life up to 40,000-50,000 hours like the Sig, Holosun & Primary Arms family.

***Edit, I actually really like the Lucid HD7.
But like so many other companies out there they also have not increased their battery life to be competitive with Aimpoint like the Holosun, Romeo & PA RDS.

I like the abuse they can take.
https://youtu.be/Fuq_N129SAI

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the 5 with my M400 Elite and apart from the fact that I have astigmatism I really like it.

Luckily I picked up a tip from YT video to use rear Iron together with the dot and it helps a lot.

Posts: 25 | Location: Sunny Flats. | Registered: October 02, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, Vortex is as low as I'll go.

Although the Chinese factory that makes SIG / HoloSun / Primary Arms Red Dots seems to do a decent job on all of them.

But I have far more confidence in Vortex as an optics company than any of those companies. SIG could easily drop out of optics at any point, like they have done with some other things in the past.

For optics I like a dedicated optics provider.

YMMV>

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
To bad Vortex can't get their battery life up to 40,000-50,000 hours like the Sig, Holosun & Primary Arms family.

***Edit, I actually really like the Lucid HD7.
But like so many other companies out there they also have not increased their battery life to be competitive with Aimpoint like the Holosun, Romeo & PA RDS.

I like the abuse they can take.
https://youtu.be/Fuq_N129SAI

In my view, it is inexcusable to have short battery lives on modern red dot optics. It is a stinkin LED. Use a joule thief if it is so hard.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Kinda the way I feel.
If this so called "Chinese junk" can get tens of thousands of hours out of a CR2032 why not the others?

I have three Aimpoints on what I suppose would be referred to as "Go to Guns".
Their nice, but I have astigmatism and no dot is perfect viewed thru my eyes.
There is no up side for me to drop $400+ on an Aimpoint Pro or $800-$1,000 for a T-1 or Trijicon on all 11 ARs I have.
Most, if I'm lucky, will never see anything more than hunting & range duty.
So at least for this simple Jarhead , I'm glad these companies have stepped up.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
IMO Sig accessories are overpriced Chinese garbage.

You can get similar optics for less. Sig just slaps their name on them and jacks the price up.

At $150 the Romeo 5 actually seems like some nice features for the money. What worries me is Sig’s accessories are always overpriced, so I just stay away in general, but I can’t say the Romeo 5 has any issues. TBH, if I didn’t say Sig on the side I’d probably buy the Romeo 5. For cheap optics I buy Vortex for the quality and warranty.

This was true of the old NC Star type optics.

This new stuff is competitive, and some of them have been available heavily discounted making them better values than even Vortex. Mostly the dots and traditional riflescopes... but if they start aggressively discounting the tactical ones I'll definitely buy a few of them.

It's not junk anymore but the MSRP's are still much too high. No reason to avoid them if the right price shows up and you are already OK with buying Vortex or similar.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
How a bout this for a deal ?!?!

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
My agency issues these on our M400's. I was "skeptical" at first. Surprisingly, in the two hundred fifty we've rolled out so far, we've only had one issue-the reticle came up instead of the dot and we are unable to swap it back. While our time with them is limited (5 months, no more than 1000 rounds in a gun), I haven't seen anything that would tell me not to buy one.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of }BuLL
posted Hide Post
quote:

<snip>
Thanks! One is on the way.

Posts: 131 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
While not the "5" , I'd be interested to hear from the FBI how the Romeo 4 has done.
It's been a full year since they were authorized for use by the agency.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016...n-for-red-dot-sight/

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. Just ordered one. Couldn't pass it up.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two Romeo 5's arrived today. I threw one on an AR pistol and the other on an MPX. I took several boys to the range and tbey took turns with their AR's, the AR pistols, and some 320's. My boy, home from his first USMC deployment, got a Beretta 92FS and we took that to the range, too. They had a great time, the red dots worked fine, albeit insufficient time to sight anything in. We shot until dark. The red dot was fine in all lighting.

We'll see how it's doing a few years from now.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for costing me some money GrumpyBiker.

Turns out not only is the Romeo 5 on sale at Brownells, but the Kilo 850 is too for the best price I've seen yet. So I had to get that too. Was hoping to get it for Christmas but couldn't pass it up at $134.

I've not used one before but have been keeping an eye on them as the whole kilo line gets rave reviews for targeting time.

Here's the link. Maybe I can lure someone else in. SF product recommendations are like a disease they just spread Big Grin

https://www.brownells.com/opti...39-87933-190075.aspx

This is a review of the kilo 2000, but from what else I've read they are all great, fast acquisition rangefinders.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/s...-rangefinder-review/

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
While not the "5" , I'd be interested to hear from the FBI how the Romeo 4 has done.
It's been a full year since they were authorized for use by the agency.

http://soldiersystems.net/2016...n-for-red-dot-sight/

I have a 4 and a 5 and, aside from the reticles, cant really tell a difference between them. The 4 was the one that broke the mount, though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post