SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger just announced a .40 Carbine !
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger just announced a .40 Carbine ! Login/Join 
posted
They now list a .40 cal version of the PC-9 carbine, along with a new free float hand guard.

Posts: 81 | Location: Springfield. USA | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And yet, still no fixed barrel version with a receiver-mounted peep sight. Frown

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
While I'm excited to see them developing this product out further (which is a large part of why I bought a PC carbine in the first place), I'm dissapointed that it's .40. I'd have preferred 10mm or .45 ACP. With the way .40 is faring in the overall market right now, it definitely seems like an odd choice of caliber for them to branch into with this platform. 10mm or .357 Sig I think would take more advantage of the carbine length barrel, and I'd be interested in a .45 just because I like .45. I've got no use for .40, and if you look at the market these days, I'm not the only one.

The free float barrel, while ugly as sin (and it's truly impressive that they found a way to make this gun uglier!), is an interesting concept, but I'm curious how it works with the takedown barrel. Does it lock into the receiver independently, or is the lockup the same as before, just now there's a shrouded handguard around the barrel? If the latter, what's the benefit? It seems that the main concern for accuracy on a takedown gun is where the barrel locks to the receiver, not contact points with the handguard.

IMO their time would have been better spent developing inserts for different types of mags, like Sig P320 or Beretta 92.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Does it lock into the receiver independently, or is the lockup the same as before, just now there's a shrouded handguard around the barrel?

Just a shroud around the takedown barrel.

quote:
If the latter, what's the benefit?

Some customers want to be able to hang additional accessories on their rifles. Currently, those customers are giving their money to aftermarket companies, like Parker Mountain, who already offer a replacement MLOK PC Carbine handguard. Now Ruger can recapture some of that market.

It also allows for different styles of grips with your support hand, and allows for your support hand to be further forward towards the muzzle. The standard PC Carbine has a shorter handguard, and an exposed barrel on top.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
So no real benefit to accuracy then...just a way to make the gun heavier and hang more junk on it? Not the end of the world, as mine is decently accurate for what it is, but I do have to keep an eye on the lock ring as it likes to work itself loose (as do all the allen screws that they used to put the thing together. I've slathered enough loctite on it now that it should be a while before I have to worry about it again, though). I'm with you...I'd really prefer a fixed-barrel version.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'll take a fixed 16" barrel version, with receiver-mounted rear peep sight (and corresponding smaller aperture), and a 15" full-length handguard.

Sort of like a 9mm Glock-compatible Ares SCR.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
40 S&W‽ Dam’! Didn’t they get the memo?

The recoil of that thing will blow someone’s shoulder clean off the first time they don’t hold it just right. Roll Eyes

I admit that does seem like an odd choice now that the 40 has been declared dead and all but buried by the gun priesthood.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Is .40 ball cheap these days?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Is .40 ball cheap these days?

Define "cheap." It's more expensive than 9mm, but much less than .45 ACP or 357 Sig.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And yet, still no fixed barrel version with a receiver-mounted peep sight. Frown

The original circa 2000 PC4 (.40) and PC9 were originally offered with mounts for proprietary Ruger rings, front sight post and an adjustable notch rear sight just forward of the ejection port. Later years of its limited run offered a second model in each caliber which added a ghost ring sight mounted on the rear of the receiver just above the tang.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Put a drum mag on that thing, and you have a modern day PPSh.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!! Razz

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
Put a drum mag on that thing, and you have a modern day PPSh.

FOR THE MOTHERLAND!!! Razz

Beat me to it comrade Big Grin

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
The original circa 2000 PC4 (.40) and PC9 were originally offered with mounts for proprietary Ruger rings, front sight post and an adjustable notch rear sight just forward of the ejection port. Later years of its limited run offered a second model in each caliber which added a ghost ring sight mounted on the rear of the receiver just above the tang.

I know. But those older Police Carbines are long out of production, don't have any manufacturer or aftermarket support, and don't take Glock magazines. Wink

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Hey Ruger- you want to impress me? Dump the takedown feature and make it in .357; hell, make it in .44 magnum. Make it a bottom loader like the carbine and people will line up to buy them.

I LOVE my .44 carbine and my Deerfield, but neither one has support anymore. My 54 year old carbine is handy, shoots my reloads like a dream, but I fear breaking something when I take it hunting.

Based on the Mini-14 model, the Deerfield is more robust but decidedly more chunky than the carbine. Not likely to break though.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Hey Ruger- you want to impress me? Dump the takedown feature and make it in .357; hell, make it in .44 magnum.

Rimmed revolver cartridges like .357 and .44 don't tend to play nice with traditional semiauto box magazines. Hence the tubular or low-capacity rotary magazines used on other .357/.44 carbines.

.357/.44 Magnum are also a bit much for a blowback operating system.

So while I agree that Ruger should reintroduce a semiauto .44 carbine, the blowback and box mag PC Carbine platform isn't the best base from which to start.

quote:
I LOVE my .44 carbine and my Deerfield, but neither one has support anymore. My 54 year old carbine is handy, shoots my reloads like a dream, but I fear breaking something when I take it hunting.

I know several guys whose go-to hog/deer hunting guns are old Ruger .44 carbines. Many of them are well-used and well-worn, but still kicking, although who knows for how much longer.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rimmed revolver cartridges like .357 and .44 don't tend to play nice with traditional semiauto box magazines. Hence the tubular or low-capacity rotary magazines used on other .357/.44 carbines.

Neither gun is a blowback; both utilize gas assistance, albeit different types. I can live with 4+1 if they’d make it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
While I'm excited to see them developing this product out further (which is a large part of why I bought a PC carbine in the first place), I'm dissapointed that it's .40. I'd have preferred 10mm or .45 ACP. With the way .40 is faring in the overall market right now, it definitely seems like an odd choice of caliber for them to branch into with this platform. 10mm or .357 Sig I think would take more advantage of the carbine length barrel, and I'd be interested in a .45 just because I like .45. I've got no use for .40, and if you look at the market these days, I'm not the only one.

I'd think they went with .40 because it was a easy conversion...about the same length as the 9mm...I'd think the .357SIG would be next.

Converting to either 10mm or .45ACP would require a larger revision of the magazine insert to accommodate the larger (front to rear) magazine

quote:
If the latter, what's the benefit? It seems that the main concern for accuracy on a takedown gun is where the barrel locks to the receiver, not contact points with the handguard.

I think a larger concern than improved accuracy (mine has been pretty accurate)is the ability to change between calibers by switching barrels and bolt heads...and magazine inserts

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Neither gun is a blowback; both utilize gas assistance, albeit different types.

The PC Carbine is a blowback design. It doesn't have a gas piston like Ruger's .44 carbines.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Neither gun is a blowback; both utilize gas assistance, albeit different types.

The PC Carbine is a blowback design.

They could revitalize the short stroke system of the Deerfield, and I'd live with the short box mag for a semi-auto .357. I recognize that it would push up costs, but they would sell like hot cakes.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
They could revitalize the short stroke system of the Deerfield

The early Deerstalker .44 carbines like yours used a short stroke tappet gas piston like the M1 Carbine. But the later Deerfield .44 carbines used a quasi-long stroke fixed piston system like the Mini-14.

The later Deerfield also used a rotary magazine like the 77/44 (basically a scaled-up 10/22 mag), whereas your earlier Deerstalker has an internal tubular magazine like a lever gun.

Deerstalker
Deerfield

So I think if Ruger were to ever reintroduce a .44 semiauto carbine, they'd be much more likely to use a system similar to the later Deerfield design, with 77/44-style rotary mag and Mini-14-style gas system, than one with the earlier Deerstalker design's M1 Carbine-style short stroke system and tubular mag. They already have more extensive knowledge on the design and production of that styles of gas system from the Mini-14 and that style of rotary magazine from the 10/22, 77/44, American rifles, etc.

Anyway, like I said, if you start with a PC Carbine, you'd have to toss out the blowback operating system and magazine, and redesign basically the whole thing to accommodate a gas system and tubular/rotary magazine. Big Grin So it'd make more sense to simply start with the Deerfield design and modernize it.