SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Are the captive "silent" buffer spring things worth it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the captive "silent" buffer spring things worth it? Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
Looking to start shopping for another build in the works, and I've always seen these as more expensive than they're worth - but is there some advantage to these captive buffer weight/spring things that makes them worth the 800% markup over a normal spring and weight?

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Personally for me, I say for everyday use it's overkill versus a standard buffer. Now if running suppressed and trying to take out all the noises and rattles... worth it !

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
Personally for me, I say for everyday use it's overkill versus a standard buffer. Now if running suppressed and trying to take out all the noises and rattles... worth it !

Yep, this is the reason I run several in my suppressed rifles. For everyday rifles it’s unnecessary.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not familiar with this product, but a Tubb’s flat wire spring and a tungsten buffer work great in my rifle and don’t really hear anything going on in the buffer tube when I shoot it. Wasn’t all that expensive either. If you’re looking to quiet down all the rattle and “sproing,” this is a way to get there.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I put the JP Silent Capture spring in all of my builds.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Honestly, some light lube on a quality buffer spring does a lot to eliminate the 'sproing'.

I used either Colt H2s & SpringCo Blue or VLTOR A5s & SpringCo Green Rifle springs (in A5 RE, of course). Also the Geissele triple wire spring and buffer works great at quieting it down.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I just put a Geissele buffer and spring in my rifle today. I put a light touch of grease on the coils and the buffer before installing. Buttery smooth, and no noise or scratching.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
use the JP Silent Capture in my patrol rifle as well. Maybe overkill but I like it and others who have shot my rifle seem to as well.

Posts: 305 | Location: Chicagoland  | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
easy way to get rid of the sproing is to grease the spring,

just a dab of axle grease and it is as quiet as can be

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yup, I ran a thin coat of white lithium grease down both sides of my flat wire spring to eliminate the scratching noise. It's about as silent as I would want.

Posts: 17120 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have one in my 3 gun and PRS gas gun rifles, both of which are also equipped with JP low mass carriers and adjustable gas blocks.

I do really like the way they change the recoil impulse. It is easier to feel than it is to describe. Best I can say is that it eliminates the sensation of being able to feel the rifle cycle when you shoot it. Shooting several of my rifles side by side I can feel the back and forth movement of the bolt carrier and buffer in my suppressed 16" rifle with H2 buffer and standard m16 carrier. In my low-mass and SCS equipped rifles, I can't feel the action cycling. I feel recoil, but it feels like I am shooting an AR with a completely closed gas system. Or like a bolt action, I suppose.

As far as any noise goes, as others mentioned a bit of grease on your buffer spring takes care of that.

Worth it? If you are seeking that last bit of refinement in tuning the recoil out of a competition rifle, perhaps.

I'm not going to get rid of mine, I like them in the rifles I use them in, but I'm not going to buy one for every rifle.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: IndianaBoy,

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
A common sentiment I get when I talk about tuning the recoil out of an AR-15 chambered in 223 is a joking assertion. "What a wimp, 223 doesn't even recoil."

I get it, an AR-15 is a soft shooting rifle. Especially compared to say, a bolt action 300 Win Mag.

But a lot of people don't appreciate how much of that recoil, and how the duration of that recoil impulse, has to do with the oscillation of the bolt carrier group and buffer.

A frequent reaction I get when someone who is reasonably familiar with ARs, shoots one of my tuned match rifles is: "Wow, how do you get it to feel like that?"

Necessity? Nope. But it is a nice refinement, as part of an overall system.

If you drop one into a standard AR without an adjustable gas block, you will probably be disappointed. That one part, in and of itself, won't change a whole lot.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find this a "non issue." I just grease up a regular spring and it is good to go.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post