SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Vortex Gen 1 1x4x24 PST.???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vortex Gen 1 1x4x24 PST.??? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
Any info on these would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are mixed reviews on Vortex, but I have found one of these that is a decent deal?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2484 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Pretty solid optics. They were a popular 3 gun scope but the reticle is a little busy.

Depending on price the Steiner P4Xi may be a better choice, or the Burris RT6 or the Vortex PST GenII 1-6.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I would take one for $100, but they have poor illumination, meh reticle, and tall exposed turrets (not needed on most LPV optics IMO). Much more than a C-note and that money is better off on a more recent optic (Steiner or newer Vortex).

I have the PST GenII 1-6x and it's been great. The first batch of them had faulty illumination (of which I had one), but it was replace and it's a solid, daylight bright dot with a usable reticle and covered turrets, nice FOV and good glass for the price. And not as heavy and have the price of the Razor version.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Good point on the turrets.

Capped turrets are where it's at on LPV.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I just returned a 1-4x20 for reticle issues, for the second time.......... they refunded my money. I went Leupold.. You may have very good service from them.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
I just returned a 1-4x20 for reticle issues, for the second time.......... they refunded my money. I went Leupold.. You may have very good service from them.

Which model? The diamondbacks and crossfires are not equal to the pst.

Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I already have a Steiner P4Xi, this was going to be a trade deal, so maybe I will hold off.

Thanks for the info.

Archerman

Posts: 2484 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I already have a Steiner P4Xi, this was going to be a trade deal, so maybe I will hold off.

Thanks for the info.
Yeah, unless it's nearly free and you intend to use it as follow on trade fodder, I think you'll be disappointed already having a more recent LPV.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:

Thanks for the info.

Keep the Steiner.

The PST GenII is a good scope. Your Steiner is a better choice than the PST GenI 1-4.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I would take one for $100, but they have poor illumination, meh reticle, and tall exposed turrets (not needed on most LPV optics IMO). Much more than a C-note and that money is better off on a more recent optic (Steiner or newer Vortex).

I have the PST GenII 1-6x and it's been great. The first batch of them had faulty illumination (of which I had one), but it was replace and it's a solid, daylight bright dot with a usable reticle and covered turrets, nice FOV and good glass for the price. And not as heavy and have the price of the Razor version.

Target turrets make no sense to me on anything under 10x.

There are three versions of this scope, 1 MRAD and 2 MOA, one of the MOA versions has capped turrets.

Cabelas just had the MOA version with target turrets on sale for $277. At sub $300 these are not bad.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post