SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lever gun love
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever gun love Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
In a world full of plastic fantastic, I still love guns made of good old wood and steel. I came across this Winchester 94 in 30-30 a few years back when I had read about the pre-64’s and their following. I was able to find a 1954 variant, which is a special year to me as my dad was born in ‘54 and he passed on a few years back much too young.

For the age it looks pretty good and has little wear compared to many I’ve seen even newer. I have put maybe a couple hundred rounds though it and it has never skipped a beat. Cycles everything and is an absolute blast (literally) to shoot! And to top it off I can drill clays at a hundred yards open sights with no problem so the barrel is still accurate that’s for sure!

Recently I had a slight issue with a detent spring and plunger that ended up being a simple fix and now that it’s all cleaned up and put back together I wanted to take some time to admire it. The fit and feel of these old west guns is great and if you have never held or worked one, you should try it sometime. It is such a slick, streamlined design and you can really tell that there was significant care when these things went together years ago. Some great fitting making for a solid feeling piece. I appreciate it more and more as time goes on and I am happy that I have it in the stable to keep my Glocks in line in the safe.

Feel free to share and post your lever guns of yesteryear or present I’d love to see them!

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice lever guns. Don't have any photos so I a pologize. My first lever gun was a Marlin 39A growing up. Wish I still had that one.

Fast forward four decades and my lever guns consist of a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357/.38, a Norinco 1887 12ga., and just recently a new in box Winchester 1895 take down model in 30.06.

Wouldn't might a few more such as a Savage 99 and a Marlin 336.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I love my lever guns.

I shoot a Uberti 1873 in .357 almost every weekend.
This weekend I shot my Uberti 1873 in .45 ACP (yes, that isn't a typo) and my Chiappa 1887 12 gauge.
Video: https://flic.kr/p/YaeyQy

Rolan Rifle by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Here is an older photo of my IAC 1887 which I "Steampunked"
DSCN1213 by Dave Steier, on Flickr

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Nice pics guys! CAS that 1952 looks like new! And thanks again Rolan for the info despite me finding someone local last second, I will keep the contact information for possible future needs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LincolnSixEcho,

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
1895 Winchester/Browning 30-06
1873 Winchester/Uberti 45 Colt
Marlin 30-30
Browning BL-22 22LR

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
CAS that 1952 looks like new!

That's the "glamor shot", it's not photo shopped, but it doesn't look that good in person. lol

Posts: 21039 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
This is the Winchester 94 Trails End in .45 Colt that I bought over 21 years ago before I started shooting Cowboy Action...not the fastest or the easiest for the sport...but it's what I started with and used it until I replaced it with a Rossi 92 clone that I worked over with springs and polishing about two years ago (it's a joy to use)...

One thing I will say about the Winchester...it only had one part fail in the many thousands of rounds through it over the years (one side of the link that the rear locking lug rides in broke off and I bought the last link for the .45 Colt that Numrich Arms had in stock)...they are tough rifles...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10579 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
more here https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/4180001934

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54480 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never underestimate the lever gun. It was the AR of its day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15987 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1856 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
1956 Marlin in .35 Remington.

With a somewhat more modern sight...

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
There's just something wrong about putting that sight on a beautiful old rifle like that.

I'd love to have one of those though. I killed my first deer with a .35 Remington.

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
HAHA. Not with my eyes, brother, and it was already drilled and tapped.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I have WAY too levers to try and post and see if my photobucket link is still active or not, so I will drop my most recent here- Marlin Mountie .22; if it stays without the photo hostage bs from the bucket, I’ll post more.
The short list includes:
Marlin rifles:
1894S Limited 16” Talo .44
1894 SS 16” .44
1894 pre CBS 16” .44
1894S 20” .44
1894CP 16” ported .357
1894C pre CBS .357
1895 chopped and ported 45-70
336 pre CBS Texan SRC 30-30
336 chopped 16” 30-30
336 1948 unmolested waffle top 30-30
336 1971 30-30
336 1972 30-30
39A Golden 1954 .22
Browning BLR .308
Browning B92 .44
2 Browning BL-22’s

I’m not positive, but I think that’s all of them

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked my Win 9422 M. Had it many years, wife bought it new for me.

The sight was always just a little off for many years. One day I tapped it over and it is now right on.
Since then I bought my wife a Henry Golden Boy, which everybody who shoots it loves.
Then she got me a Henry Big Boy.
Love to shoot em.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Hey gearhounds, will you show pics of the chopped 30-30? And, who did the work?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post