SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Clone building anyone?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clone building anyone? Login/Join 
posted
Anyone else build clone rifles? Just started my first block 2 rifle and so far has been a pain hunting down the parts.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I had a Block I type. KAC RAS, M203 cut barrel, MaTech rear, Comp M2, everything else GI style. I ended up dumping most of the parts for other stuff, still have just the basic carbine kicking around for a cheap rifle. I wouldn't mind it to be a Block II with the DD rail

My other clone is a Marine A4. KAC M5, KAC 600m rear, TA31F ACOG, M16A4 marked lower (Aero clone), BCM 20" upper, A1 grip, A2 stock, GI web sling, one of those massive Surefire rail lights. I like it, but I'm probably dropping to a standard set of A2 handguards next time I get into my AR builds.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I may do an early A1 M16 clone at some point, duckbill, triangular handguard etc. Nodak is the place to start for such. I've had an SP1 CAR-15 that has satiated the urge. I may SBR that rifle to make it as close to the real thing as possible. I have an M14 XM25 clone with all the right parts that I've enjoyed for years.

About the only clone I'd consider doing up any time soon, isn't exactly a clone, because I'd be putting a Colt DOE upper on one of my Colt 9mm rifles. After I SBR it.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah that's the stuff.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Very nice job, IndianaBoy.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
I'm working on a Mk12 Mod 1 build currently and have a M16A4 on deck.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Yeah that's the stuff.

I should have bought 3 or 4 of these kits back when they were available and cheap.

I actually bought a crushed/demilled M16A1 lower and got very lucky to get an intact rollmark. Someday when I have money burning a hole in my pocket I will have someone with talent weld that into a Nodak lower with the correct profile and then have the whole thing reanodized grey.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
and have a M16A4 on deck.

A M16A4 clone was one of the first ARs I built, back ~10 years ago. A word of warning: the KAC RAS M5 is pretty heavy. It throws the balance way off, making it very front-heavy. I ended up trading that rifle off several years ago. I'm not a fan of that configuration.

If you want a 20" M16 clone for shits 'n giggles, the A1 or A2 configuration is the way to go, IMO. I'm partial to the lighter A1 style with the pencil barrel.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
and have a M16A4 on deck.

A M16A4 clone was one of the first ARs I built, back ~10 years ago. A word of warning: the KAC RAS M5 is pretty heavy. It throws the balance way off, making it very front-heavy. I ended up trading that rifle off several years ago. I'm not a fan of that configuration.

If you want a 20" M16 clone for shits 'n giggles, the A1 or A2 configuration is the way to go, IMO. I'm partial to the lighter A1 style with the pencil barrel.

Appreciate the advice, I have a few other KAC rails but have never seen a M5 Ras in person.

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

I'm feeling too lazy to look up the #s, but I am pretty sure that an A1 with the 20 inch barrel is actually lighter than an M4 with the 14.5.

Very pleasant to carry and shoot.