SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Uzi owners: what did you buy and why?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uzi owners: what did you buy and why? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have always wanted an Uzi. It will have to be a semi-auto but I plan on it being a shooter.
What should I be looking for? My knee-jerk reaction is to buy an original IMI model A or B.
Any other options? Buy a parts kit and send it to a reputable builder? Is there a shop that does them right?
Is there another brand that deserves a look?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my IMI Model B that I bought in the 80s, but it’s sitting in the back of my safe unshot for many years. Obviously there is the history, but it’s not that much fun to shoot. It’s heavy, has mediocre sights and really isn’t set up for any optic mounts, the grip magwell doesn’t lend itself to quick mag changes, it tends to jump around a bit due to the heavy bolt rocking back and forth, and the unfolded stock isn’t particularly comfortable. Thought about SBRing it, but probably still wouldn’t shoot it much. Much prefer shooting my MP5 clone.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
^What he said^

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a vector full-size SMG. As a semiauto, I would pass. Maybe a sbr just to satisfy the need to ha e an UZI, but it would never be shot because there are far better semiauto PCC options as shooters. My fullauto Uzi barely sees use because I have an MP5K-N and MP5-N that are constant range companions. If you don’t already own any PCCs, I would suggest a B&T APC9 Pro, B&T GHM9, or CZ Scorpion Evo instead.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Vector Uzi Sub gun. I love it. I bought it when they first came out.I took off the folding stock and replaced it with the quick detachable wooden stock. It was an excellent investment. I have fired a bunch of sub guns. A friend has an H&K MP5 with some kind of red dot sight. It is definitely easier to hit smaller targets with than the UZI. But sub guns are not intended to compete with target pistols. Firing short bursts, it is no problem to hit clay pigeons on the ground at 25 yards. Whenever I take it to the range and let someone shoot it that has not shot a sub gun before, they love it. But I have never shot one of the semis with the long barrel.

Posts: 617 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a model B. Nice nostalgia piece, but pretty much the bottom of the totem pole on a usable 9mm rifle. Sights suck, stock sucks, optics mounting sucks, etc. But if you want one an IMI is what I would buy. A or B really doesn't matter.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Vector a long ways back, it was a reliable and inexpensive alternative to a Model A or Model B. I experienced no problems with it.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may consider an UZI Pistol,also sold by Action Arms in the 80s. I owned one for years before I purchased my first UZI SMG. It is fun to shoot and not much more to purchase than a full size semi auto UZI.

Posts: 1 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Basenji
posted Hide Post
I have a Vector Uzi sub gun. I love mine. For semi, for semi trouble free shooting fun, a IMI Uzi. They are expensive now, but if you really want one, that is the way I would go. I would get an IMI wood stock (that's what I did with my sub gun). For a semi, I would strongly suggest doing a SBR. They are really easy to convert back to Class 1 and easier to resell that way if you so desire.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Basenji,

Posts: 919 | Location: Tidewater VIRGINIA | Registered: April 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have a model B. Nice nostalgia piece, but pretty much the bottom of the totem pole on a usable 9mm rifle. Sights suck, stock sucks, optics mounting sucks, etc. But if you want one an IMI is what I would buy. A or B really doesn't matter.

I think I may go with the Model A or B, for that nostalgia, as you say.
There may be some nostalgia for a former Israeli girlfriend Smile

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Buy an Uzi because you want an Uzi Wink

If you just want a 9mm "subgun" there are better options

I went with a Vector that I've sbr'd. They are a lot of fun

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like my UZI Model B in 45, fun gun to shoot, accurate and totally reliable. If you want one buy one, there are better PCC available these days but in my opinion the UZI is an iconic firearm and no collection is complete without one. I'm OK with iron sights on the UZI and from my perspective magazine changes aren't any more difficult than mag changes on any other gun.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Dang, I got to the party too late ... You've already got all the good info!

What I can tell you is that I've had the "hots" for an UZI a few times ... My first one was a Chineese with the wooden stock, which I've found to be much more comfortable than the folder but lacks the cool factor.

I thought they were just bullet hoses and was pleasantly suprised to discover they are fairly accurate ... After a brief period, the newness wore off and it took up residence in the safe until I needed trading fodder for the next shiney thing, which I don't remember what that was.

10 or so years later I got the hots for a model A ... A buddy had told me that if you tape 6-7 quarters together and put them behind the trigger it was like shooting a subgun ... this was before bump-shooting was a thing, but that's exactly what it was, the quarters kept the trigger in the sweet-spot and the heavy bolt ensured the rocking action ... It sorta worked, but again, after a brief period, the newness wore off and it was traded or sold.

Then about 15 years ago, the UZI fever hit me again, this time a Model B in the hard case ... because it would fit perfectly on the top shelf of the safe, again I found one, I think I might have shot it once, put it on the top shelf,it got pushed to the back and forgotten about until a few years ago when I had some serious health issues and decided to buy guns regretted passing on, like a Valmet tube-folder or re-buy ones I'd sold, like my Stoner SR-25 Match ...

Fortunately, I don't have many regrets ... Most are fairly expensive now; I've slowed down, because there are a few other things on my bucket list, and I don't have many left and they aren't that high on the list but I still want a nice P210 Target and a Beretta AR70, both shooters as I don't want to shoot an unfired collectable!

I found the only cure to UZI fever is to buy one, if you find a good deal, they can be a good investment ... they are fun, but I'd rather shoot one of my HK MP5 variants, Steyr SPP, 9mm AR, CZ Scorpion EVO ... I still haven't shot an MPX or any of the many BT offerings ... But I ain't dead yet Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pre-68 IMI import in 1992 for the princely sum of 1500 dollars. Was an interarms import.

Posts: 363 | Location: North Coast | Registered: October 31, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
Pre-68 IMI import in 1992 for the princely sum of 1500 dollars. Was an interarms import.

Uh, you win. That’s amazing.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd say that's a pretty durn good price!
I sold my IMI model B for $1800 4-5 years ago. It was the common 9mm without conversions. It was in the factory hard case with everything including the short dummy barrel, the only thing it didn't have is the warranty card.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a vintage Mini Uzi, came with all the items from the factory, looks to be brand new, but will call it used. I got it because I bought a UZI model A years ago in its blue UZI box glory with all the items from the factory.

Why, because they are cool to me no other reason.

I say go for it, it will only get more expensive with time.

Yes I have been looking at the IWI pistol with folding brace now.... why so I can have the full S M L offering. We will see.

HK Ag

Posts: 3496 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Model A years ago and it was an amazing carbine, although a bit heavy. Clones are out there and some are not bad but can be hit or miss. I owned a Vector Uzi as well, at the time, and it ran fine. I thought about buying one of the newer mini-Uzi pistols but I hear accuracy is not that great but I have no actual experience with them.

I also had a Steyr SPP, as I thought it would be like the Uzi I owned but I was way wrong. The trigger was very mushy/spongy and there are no accessories to be had for it.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

I'd say that's a pretty durn good price!
I sold my IMI model B for $1800 4-5 years ago. It was the common 9mm without conversions. It was in the factory hard case with everything including the short dummy barrel, the only thing it didn't have is the warranty card.

You realize he’s talking about a pre-68 import SMG? A factory made transferable IMI Uzi SMG.