SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    MCX caliber conversion
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MCX caliber conversion Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
So the other day I ordered a 9" .300blk conversion kit for the MCX.

As expected I got a new barrel.
However it also included a new bolt.
This confuses me.
Why do I need a new bolt?
Both the .223rem and the .300blk use the same bolt in every other gun I've heard of.

Anyone have any guesses why they sent me a new bolt too?

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably because of the recall that was associated with 300BLK which required sending in our BCGs for swap. So just to cover their bases, they’re probably shipping conversion kits with new bolts in case you never responded to the recall.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
but it was only a bolt - not the whole BCG

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that is weird.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new Virtus barrels require a bolt with rounded lugs. The original MCX 300BLK barrels could use the same bolt as the 5.56NATO. The change was made to improve reliability with short barrels and cans.

Bill

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: June 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post