SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR lower marked "CAL MULTI"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR lower marked "CAL MULTI" Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Okay, I'm admittedly still something of an AR-n00b. My brother and I bought a pair of lower receivers from Palmetto State some time ago, and are finally getting around to building them up.

Tonight's football-and-beverages discussion brought the question, "can these be built for use with a .300 Blackout upper?"

My brother asked, "How do we find that out?"

My instant answer was, "Let's ask SigForum." So here I am. Smile

Thanks, all!

God bless America.

Posts: 13399 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes.

.300 Blackout uses a standard AR15 lower receiver.

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
The “multi” more than likely refers to .223/5.56/300blk.
I have a couple of 5.56 ARs and a couple in 300blk.
No difference in the lowers on any of them other than cosmetic stuff. Function is the same.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Ha! I told my brother, "we'll have an answer in less than ten minutes." And I was right! SF rocks!

Thank you, fellas. Now we've got more planning and shopping to do....

God bless America.

Posts: 13399 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
MULTI simply means it can be used for multiple calibers,

and there are lots and lots of choices

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10407 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Exactly! Another new caliber released this week: Federal .224 Valkyrie.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
I have an Andersen lower marked Multi cal with a 7.62x39 upper

Posts: 2299 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I'll drift my own thread here and ask: If we were looking for piston-driven uppers in .300 BLK, what would SF recommend?

And because I'm still newbie, can I tell by looking at an upper if it's piston or DI? If so, then how?

God bless America.

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
You can take a AR15 calibered in 223, 5.56 and just swap the barrel out with a 300 black out barrel and your rifle will be a 300 blackout.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

Yep like the big bores 458 socom,450 bushmaster,and .50 Beowulf

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1362 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I'll drift my own thread here and ask: If we were looking for piston-driven uppers in .300 BLK, what would SF recommend?

And because I'm still newbie, can I tell by looking at an upper if it's piston or DI? If so, then how?

I don't think anyone makes a piston .300 AAC Blackout upper.

Also, don't waste your time with a piston upper AR, they don't really offer anything over the DI system except maybe a little cleaner in the action, with the draw back of weight, extra cost and proprietary parts.

There are fans of piston AR 15's, that's fine with me if that's what you want to spend money on. Just, it's just not needed, extra cost, weight, parts, and complications with no return.

ARman

Posts: 3140 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:

The is the one I'd recommend:

https://primaryweapons.com/sto...mk116-mod-1-p-upper/

Look at the gas block.

A DI gas block/FSB, will be relatively simple looking and have a bright silver hollow tube going to it, ( look at were this gas tube stops inside the upper to see if it's hollow. ) Also, a gas tube will step up as it runs along the top of the barrel, just before it enters into the upper receiver.

A piston driven upper has a generally much more complex/busy gas block with knobs and such protruding from it, as well as being somewhat larger than a typical low profile gas block on a DI upper. In place of a hollow gas tube found on DI uppers, a piston upper will have a solid rod taking the place of a gas tube.

* Edit to add * I have a billet lower marked 'Multi' that I built up to primarily run 6.8 SPC.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think anyone makes a piston .300 AAC Blackout upper.

Isn't the MCX available in .300blk? And wouldn't that be a piston one.
I don't follow the .300blk world but I thought I could swap my MCK to .300blk and I wouldn't think that would also be a DI conversion.
I'm in the camp of why on the piston ones as well.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Always start with 5.56.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a whole list of calibers in this thread...
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5310068334

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
If you've got a Palmetto lower, I'd match it to a Palmetto upper. In the unlikely event you have problems Palmetto will be MUCH more helpful if both assemblies are theirs.

Plus, Palmetto is nearly giving away complete uppers right now.

I got a 5.56 upper first, then later added a .300 Blackout upper to use with a suppressor.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post