SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Taking out a new shooter!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking out a new shooter! Login/Join 
Picture of kimberkid
posted
A good friend asked me if I would take his collage-age granddaughter out to the range and give her some firearm instruction. Jack doesn't own any guns but he's not anti-gun either. He said that she has been curious about firearms and wants her introduced in a safe inviroment.

I'm guessing she's already had an "introduction" but wants to know more. Jack has told me that his first experience was when he was 12, his dad handed him a 12ga which knocked him on his ass and everyone (except Jack) got a good laugh out of it.

Anyway, I printed off the safety rules and gave them to Jack and asked him to go over them with his granddaughter and since he's retired he should go with us.

We're going to start a 22LR pistol and rifle depending on what she wants to start with. Also taking a 9mm and an AR to move up to depending on her comfort level.

With a little luck, maybe Jack will get interested too.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That's the way to do it! .22 pistols and rifles for familiarity, then on to 9mm, and a bit of .223.

One thing I have found new shooters to really enjoy is a 9mm AR or similar pcc.

I also always haul out a .44 magnum with modest loads, shoot it for them, and ask if anyone wants to try. Usually they do, and usually they are really pleased to have shot the "Dirty Harry" gun and not had a hard time with it. I keep the loads to 1150 fps or so, however.

Good for you and I hope you have a great day with them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
I hope that it goes well. Please have her use ear plugs and ear muffs for double hearing protection.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya, 22LR first is the way to do it!

I’ve taken out new shooters. Generous steel targets, instant feed back. Doesn’t matter where they hit, they hit it!

22 bolt rifle suppressed
MP5 suppressed

I’ve taken friends out who want to shoot my bolt rifles. Some never shot past a 100yds. Work on some fundamentals, reticle understanding.. then go right to 1000yds! “I can’t shoot that far” Yes you can. Ding, big smile!

I have just as much fun as they do.

Have fun.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Earplugs with electronic muffs over top so she can still hear instructions are ideal. Have fun!

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suppressors are better. Take the bang out and people get more comfortable with the process at a faster pace. Plus why not suppress all 22's?

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Ya, 22LR first is the way to do it!

I’ve taken out new shooters. Generous steel targets, instant feed back. Doesn’t matter where they hit, they hit it!

22 bolt rifle suppressed
MP5 suppressed

This indeed, had my son's friend come by over the holidays and we did the 22LR bolt suppressed, 22LR pistol suppressed, and Scorpion and AR15 suppressed. Kid smiled for the rest of the day, shooting steel out to 300 yards (limits of the range) with the AR15.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I was planning on starting suppressed. The sound really bothered my daughter but I didnt have suppressors back then, just plugs and muffs(which she didn't like muffs either. Taking a Ruger 22/45 and a 10/22, both have threaded barrels.

After settling in and getting comfortable I want to take off the suppressor so she can see how loud it really is and same with the 9 and AR, but of course she'll have hearing protection on ... no sense in overloading her the first time out.

The range hasn't been busy it things are starting to relax ... figured if its busy we'd go to a friends farm and shoot balloons ... I've got an air compressor and air bubble that'll hold over 100 pounds so it shouldn't be too bad ... didnt get to go today, tomorrow is going to be rainy so probably Friday.

All in all, it just depends on her!

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's input! While I don't have electronic earmuffs but may pick up a pair as I have some grandkids "coming of age" in the next few years too.

Yesterday was in the low 60's but we had 20-30 mph wind so "grandpa" postponed, today is supposed to be the same, tomorrow (Mother's Day) is supposed to be nice but I doubt we'll go.

This has been a typical spring in Kansas, we've been having wind/rain every other or third day. I'm sure we'll have some nice days next week but if we don't go next week I'm not sure when we'll get the chance as I start back to work on the 18th and weekends are usually busy.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
The Howard leight impact sports electronic muffs are a great deal. You can get them on amazon for about $35 shipped during sales.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
The Howard leight impact sports electronic muffs are a great deal. You can get them on amazon for about $35 shipped during sales.

Just posting a neat translation of your byline in modern Irish, just in case you have a yen to have such a thing. Funny thing is, a lot of people like to have a 'family motto' derived from their ancestry - real or imagined.

Tá mo sciorrárthach líonta le eascanna.'

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:

Just posting a neat translation of your byline in modern Irish, just in case you have a yen to have such a thing. Funny thing is, a lot of people like to have a 'family motto' derived from their ancestry - real or imagined.

Tá mo sciorrárthach líonta le eascanna.'

Thank you! I love languages and wish I could speak Irish. I had to look at my profile to understand what you were talking about as I have all signatures and avatars hidden on my settings.

I hope that phrase in Irish comes in handy someday. LOL