Find
Notify
Tools

. Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old dino,

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you feel about stocks with pistol grips?

I love them but some people hate them.

If you like them, I suggest perhaps a Mesa Tactical adapter and the AR15 collapsing stock of your choice.

I had a factory 870 folder. It wasn't horrible to shoot but I would not recommend it and it was the best of the folders.

Posts: 242 | Location: IL | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Folding shotgun stocks are painful when used with high brass loads like buckshot and slugs. I much prefer a standard wood stock with a good pad.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go back a fair ways with the 870. Forget the folding stock. Get a Magpul SGA 870 Stock and you wont be disappointed..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think about Speedfeed, mine carries four extra rounds.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest the Magpul stock. It has adjustable LOP and comb.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had one with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock which I liked. It didn't fold but it did adjust and it seemed to tame the kick of a 12 gauge.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I've used both top folders and side folders on Remington 870's and personally never took a liking to either type.

Choate Machine & Tool makes top and side folders for the 870. They also make a conventional fixed stock with a pistol grip which I find very comfortable to shoot with.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I need a very long length of pull and just never liked folding stocks on my shotguns. In my department years ago other than the breaching gun we abandoned folding stocks and went back to full stocked configuration.

There are some good telescoping stocks and Mesa Tactical makes an outstanding pistol grip stock, although pricey.

I have several variations of stocks on my training guns but for my personal 870 I chose the Magpul like this one. I have fired as much as 800 rounds in a week long program and found the recoil to be comfortable with this stock.

https://www.bing.com/images/se...hotgun+stock+for+870

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
You can get a Sage 870 pistol grip with AR tube adapter, then put on one of those hydraulic recoil buffer tubes and a Magpul CTR stock.

Hydraulic AR telescoping stock...
http://www.nokick.com/KynShot_...fer_p/kyn-rb5100.htm

I'm overhauling my 870 Wingmaster right now and this is the direction I'm going.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Think about Speedfeed, mine carries four extra rounds.

Is speedfeed even still in business. I looked for one of their stocks a while back and couldn't find anything.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I had one with the Knoxx recoil reducing stock which I liked. It didn't fold but it did adjust and it seemed to tame the kick of a 12 gauge.

I'd agree.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I had the Knoxx stock on my 870 Police Model and now I don't. I am a bit recoil sensitive due to some C-spine disk issues but I felt no real difference in recoil to my shoulder with the Knoxx stock and/or the original plastic stock. Also it felt like I was getting punched in the jaw every time I shot.
I found a complete (fancy) stock set from an older Wing Master and installed it. I guess the heavier weight and positive cheek weld worked better for me.
Just my experience, yours may vary.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. My stock was a Blackhawk SpecOps Gen 2, not a Knoxx.
I believe they are similar in function.

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post

This is the best looking "tactical" 870 build that I have seen.
It is an Ergo stock on a Mesa Tactical adapter.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On my work 870 I have a Speedfeed fixed/pistol grip combination. On my other two 870's, I have factory folders (which are really cheap on Ebay right now). I have never had a problem using the factory folder, but I'm also not shooting a bunch of rounds (100+) in a class or such.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

I'd agree.

I'd agree as well. Very pleased with mine.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

I'd agree.

I'd agree as well. Very pleased with mine.

Same here. You get the benefit of adjustability and recoil reduction.

It is important to note there are two versions - one of them (the NRS version) does not have the components to reduce recoil. They look almost identical but engineered differently.

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll never have anything other than a Knoxx on mine. Makes the gun fun to shoot and I like being able to adjust the stock

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
Am going with the Knoxx to replace the youth stock on my 870 ... !

Thanks for all your thoughts in assisting me making my decision.

I bet you could sell that youth stock in the Classifieds...

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post