SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    True 1- 6 or 8x optics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True 1- 6 or 8x optics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
March has a couple of 1-8X24 optics.
https://www.marchoptics.com/sh...plane/1-8x24mm-scope

This one is a little pricey, but focuses won to 10yard and has an illuminated reticle.

This one is smaller and less pricey.
https://www.marchoptics.com/sh...-8x24mm-shorty-scope

I played with both at the 2018 SHOT show and they are impressive. I have not shot with either one.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over on SniperHide, the general consensus is the NX8, with it's tighter eyebox, is more appropriate / usable on lighter recoiling rifles (AR15s), while the ACTAR is more suited to 308 semi-autos.

I’ve shot the nx8 on a KAC ACC with MAMS and had no issues using it on 1x or 8x. My KAC APC wears a ATACR. A friend’s SCAR17 wears a ATACR.

At 1x the FOV is bigger on the nx8 than the ATACR. The illumination is brighter on the nx8. The eyebox on 8x is definitely tight, but not unusable. If you want a very very short capable 1-8, while understanding it’s minor downsides, the nx8 is great. If you want more generous eye box, the addition of wind holds in your reticle, better glass, and don’t mind the added length and weight, (and cost), the ATACR is your choice.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all the great advice. ATACR on order. We'll see how I like it...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
I’ve shot the nx8 on a KAC ACC with MAMS and had no issues using it on 1x or 8x. My KAC APC wears a ATACR. A friend’s SCAR17 wears a ATACR.

At 1x the FOV is bigger on the nx8 than the ATACR. The illumination is brighter on the nx8. The eyebox on 8x is definitely tight, but not unusable. If you want a very very short capable 1-8, while understanding it’s minor downsides, the nx8 is great. If you want more generous eye box, the addition of wind holds in your reticle, better glass, and don’t mind the added length and weight, (and cost), the ATACR is your choice.

Thanks. I'm about to buy a Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24 -E or a Nightforce NX8. I'd like to go ACTAR but just don't have the coin or real need for something that high end with the ranges I'm able to shoot regularly.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks JoshNC and everyone, I think the NX8 fits my needs base on your feedback. Much appreciated.

Posts: 256 | Registered: July 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a tough decision, but after selling another never used optic, I bought a Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24 E-model.

As my primary use is <200m here in tree-filled Florida, it made more sense than the NX8.

Going to try a new Daniel Defense 30MM scope mount (5.5 oz) as well - I'd try a Geissle but can't stomach full price on them after all the Black Friday sales they had. Wink

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have the non E version. I wish I would have held off for a while and got the E. It took me a bit to get the diopter right. There is a fine line it has to be for me to see the reticle hashes and full edge clarity. It is great glass with a really big FOV.

Do you have a viper 1-6? If so, give us a side by side rundown. I’m looking at maybe getting one to have on another rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought about dealing with the weight of the original Razor 1-6x, as I could get it for $900 as they are selling them off, but I sucked it up for the E right at $1200.

Yes, I have a Viper PST Gen 2 1-6x24 and really have no complaints with it - I was an early adopter and the first one had to go back for faulty electronics / illumination - Vortex replaced it with the next batch in, which had improved circuits and more subdued matte black paint. Its been on my BCM 16" midlength and its been great - far better than the Trijicon Accupower it replaced (and I thought that was a good scope too at the time).

I'll be keeping the Viper for sure as well, for $600 it's hard to beat IMO, even if it just ends up on a beater training rifle - but I'll be sure to post a comparison after I get the E.

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
I have the NF NX8 on one of my rifles.

A variable optic will never be a 100% replacement for a red dot. Even at 1x you still need to have proper eye relief.

That being said... the NX8 is pretty damn good at 1x. There is some very slight fish eye around the edges (very slight) - but it's little enough that it doesn't bother me any.
I had a chance to look through the ATACR 1-8 a few months back too. It's just "slightly" better than the NX8. The fish eye in the NX8 does not exist on the ATACR.

The trade off between the two of course is that the ATACR is larger/heavier.

With regards to the illuminated reticle.... that thing is BRIGHT.
It is easily viewable on a bright sunny day when you crank it up.

If you're in the Raleigh, NC area and would like to see my NX8 just let me know.

Are you certain about the proper eye relief on 1x? No distance problem for eye relief on any of my 1_4x.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
It was a tough decision, but after selling another never used optic, I bought a Vortex Razor Gen 2 1-6x24 E-model.

As my primary use is <200m here in tree-filled Florida, it made more sense than the NX8.

Going to try a new Daniel Defense 30MM scope mount (5.5 oz) as well - I'd try a Geissle but can't stomach full price on them after all the Black Friday sales they had. Wink

It’s an excellent optic. Glass is great, illumination is nuclear bright, and the 1x is better than the nx8 by a long stretch IMO. And the E is less piggy than the non-E gen II. You’ll be very happy with the E.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hk91308:
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
I have a Leupold VX-6 1-6 on mine and really like it.

I do too, I think it’s best bang for the buck for that weight and price point, cool...

I found the VX-6 HD 1-6 COR eight bills brand new. I dialinw the button press brightness adjustment. But other than than that, it's amazing. Glass is superior to most anything shy of the Kahles or Swarovski.

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:

Are you certain about the proper eye relief on 1x? No distance problem for eye relief on any of my 1_4x.

Here's some pics looking through the NX8:

Proper eye relief:

Eyeball about 4-6 inches further back:

For comparison, here's the same views through my Elcan Spectre DR (1-4)

Proper:

Back further:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1522 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’m getting a little jelly of Rhino with the E version. The regular one is great on a DMR/SPR type build. The E version is better on a carbine. I’m gonna do what I got to to get an E version.

I also like the VX6HD with the Firedot BDC although I wish they would have kept the small capped turrets. I got the VXR Hog instead of the Patrol because of the turrets.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, on the Leupold I don't like the pushbutton illum or uncapped turrets. I could deal with the exposed elevation on the NX8 because NF zerostop is a beast and their clicks are like a bank vault dial, otherwise on a 1-4/6/8 I don't like exposed turrets.

-E will be here tomorrow, I'm sure it'll live up to the hype and do what I want.

posted Hide Post
Vortex Razors are good scopes -- quality glass and solid feel. Razors have taken their licks in 3-gun and similar use, and come out just fine.

I got to shoot a couple of ARs with Razors after a 2-gun rifle/AR match. My squad had a couple of 3-gun competitors, and we swapped carbines for a few targets. I used a NF F1 3.5-15x in the match. My thoughts on the Razor:
- Glass quality is great.
- It has pretty forgiving eyebox at lower power.
- Transitioning between multiple targets was easy.
- I had no issues with the weight of the scope. Probably because my rifles weigh noticeably more than the carbines I borrowed.

The biggest downside I have with Razors is the reticle. The scope is intended for holdovers and it has elevation subtentions every 4 MOA below the crosshairs. For my eyes these subtensions are too narrow, and thus hard to reference on dark targets and on targets with clutter around them -- such as branches, fences, wood rails, rocks, trees. On a newly-painted white steel target, the holdover subtentions worked OK, but still could be better IMO.

The reticle's vertical line below the crosshairs is .5 MOA wide -- which is a reasonable width. The total width of the 4 MOA holdover subtension is only 1.5 MOA wide, which means it extends .5 MOA right and left of the vertical line. The 8 MOA holdover is a little better -- 3 MOA wide. Meaning it extends 1.25 MOA right and left of the vertical line.

If the reticle's subtensions were wider, I'm pretty certain I'd own at least two Razors.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Vortex Razors are good scopes -- quality glass and solid feel. Razors have taken their licks in 3-gun and similar use, and come out just fine.

I got to shoot a couple of ARs with Razors after a 2-gun rifle/AR match. My squad had a couple of 3-gun competitors, and we swapped carbines for a few targets. I used a NF F1 3.5-15x in the match. My thoughts on the Razor:
- Glass quality is great.
- It has pretty forgiving eyebox at lower power.
- Transitioning between multiple targets was easy.
- I had no issues with the weight of the scope. Probably because my rifles weigh noticeably more than the carbines I borrowed.

The biggest downside I have with Razors is the reticle. The scope is intended for holdovers and it has elevation subtentions every 4 MOA below the crosshairs. For my eyes these subtensions are too narrow, and thus hard to reference on dark targets and on targets with clutter around them -- such as branches, fences, wood rails, rocks, trees. On a newly-painted white steel target, the holdover subtentions worked OK, but still could be better IMO.

The reticle's vertical line below the crosshairs is .5 MOA wide -- which is a reasonable width. The total width of the 4 MOA holdover subtension is only 1.5 MOA wide, which means it extends .5 MOA right and left of the vertical line. The 8 MOA holdover is a little better -- 3 MOA wide. Meaning it extends 1.25 MOA right and left of the vertical line.

If the reticle's subtensions were wider, I'm pretty certain I'd own at least two Razors.

You might like the Razor with the JM-1 reticle:

They subtend 8.5 inches at the distances to which they are supposed to correspond. In my testing with a variety of ammunition, it is the most accurate BDC with regard to real external ballistics from a carbine that I have used.

Or you may prefer the Steiner T5Xi. The BDC is designed to subtend a torso sized target much like the ACOG reticles are. I think they subtend 18 inches at the distances to which they correspond, but I would have to check. Glass is similar to the Razor. Turrets are not nearly so good. It is lighter, 5x instead of 6x.

I own both. Both have their merits. I give a slight edge to the Razor.

Razor:

Steiner:

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Pics were taken with a cell phone held with one hand and rifle balanced in a sandbag in the other hand.

Don't read too much into clarity, it is hard to take a picture through an optic.

I left them full size just to give as much detail as possible to the resolution of targets (roughly 500 yards) and reticle on a greenish background.

Posts: 14112 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The JM-1 does have larger subtentions than the one I used. Not bad, not bad at all.

I went a different way and time will tell how it plays out. My two 16" ARs now wear 2-10x optics. One is a ffp Vortex and the other a sfp Nightforce. Over the spring I'll see which setup goes to carbine matches.

If I were to buy a 1x LPV scope right now it would almost certainly be the NF NX8. Although the ATACR 1-8x has better glass there are some things the NX8 does better for me:
- NX8 has a zero stop -- ATACR doesn't
- NX8 has nice tall elevation turrets for dialing elevation
- although the ATACR has one of the better "Christmas tree" holdover reticles, I'm still not fond of them. Give me simple and clear subtentions.

Posts: 7844 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have seen the NX8 criticized for a tight eyebox. Otherwise it looks awesome.

posted Hide Post
Gotta say I was unimpressed with my Razor-E version.

I thought the illumination bleed over was defective, sent it to Vortex but they said today it is 'working as it should'. I actually like the PST Gen 2 a lot better than the Razor after seeing them both. Razor is brighter (10 on the PST is about 7/8 on the Razor), but the top reticle line bleeds over bad if you look into low light areas.

Since it's NIB, I've requested a refund and will be purchasing an NX8 instead.