SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    True 1- 6 or 8x optics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

True 1- 6 or 8x optics Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As originally posted I now have an ATACR on my SCAR. But I can't see any possible issues with using an NX8 instead. As I think was said above the eyebox is a bit more constrained and the the glass is a bit less (as you would expect for the price difference). But you get the reticle you want and a few advantages as well (see fritz note). Get a bobro right side mount and be happy...
Edited to add, you get the benefit of a weight savings as well as you mentioned that...
Unless there is some other issue???

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Eotech Vudu?

LINK

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Eurooptics has the NX8 demos on sale for $1449. Think I will try it out on the SCar17. If I’m not satisfied I’ll just move it over to a 556 or 300BO and get the ATACr.

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If you quality for Mil / LE / Retired, sign up for Eurooptics program - you can get a new NX8 for not much more than that.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Not retired mil/le.

Rhinow, you got an NX8. Impressions so far?

Posts: 397 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D4Heavy:
Not retired mil/le.

EXTREMELY pleased with the NX8, I bought mine from Brownells with 10% off awhile back instead of Eurooptic, to ensure I could return it easily if it didn't work out (Brownells 'Forever Warranty').

I have mine on my BCM 16" in a Geissele mount (normal 1.5-ish height), have done 3 range trips for a total of oh 300+ rounds - so far it has been everything I was looking for - lighter than the Vortex PST G2 1-6x24 or Razor -E, better illum than the PST G2 (but that does have visible illum), and the magnification range / general Nightforce quality is great.

Coming from a Vortex PST G2 1-6, the NX8 eyebox is a bit tighter - but lets be honest the PST / Razor eyebox is the best there is, you can be uber sloppy with rifle / head positioning and still get the dot with one of those. The NX8 is forgiving and easy to get behind, but not as good as the Vortex PST/Razor 1-6s.

Probably the only 'odd' thing with the NX8 is on 1x, if you are on a dimmer illum settings and decide to really stare at the 'dot' and not the target, you can actually make out that it is 4 little dots very close together which make up the illuminated reticle. You don't see it when shooting and if you have brightness turned up to where you typically would for 1x RDS type shooting, it's all one dot. Just an observation and the nature of a FFP reticle working at 1x.

Moving up to 4x - 8x, it is not at all hard to get and stay behind on a 5.56 rifle, even standing shooting at steel at 100 yds. It is tight at 8x, as you'd expect from a uber small 1-8x24 scope but it's not hard - the eye relief is pretty much constant, but you lose some of the forward / back & lateral slop you have at lower power settings WRT eye placement.

I initially put forward and rear scope caps on it, but I found that I only like having a front cap on it (same as I do with the other 1-4/6 optics I have used).

Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Not retired mil/le.

EXTREMELY pleased with the NX8, I bought mine from Brownells with 10% off awhile back instead of Eurooptic, to ensure I could return it easily if it didn't work out (Brownells 'Forever Warranty').

I have mine on my BCM 16" in a Geissele mount (normal 1.5-ish height), have done 3 range trips for a total of oh 300+ rounds - so far it has been everything I was looking for - lighter than the Vortex PST G2 1-6x24 or Razor -E, better illum than the PST G2 (but that does have visible illum), and the magnification range / general Nightforce quality is great.

Coming from a Vortex PST G2 1-6, the NX8 eyebox is a bit tighter - but lets be honest the PST / Razor eyebox is the best there is, you can be uber sloppy with rifle / head positioning and still get the dot with one of those. The NX8 is forgiving and easy to get behind, but not as good as the Vortex PST/Razor 1-6s.

Probably the only 'odd' thing with the NX8 is on 1x, if you are on a dimmer illum settings and decide to really stare at the 'dot' and not the target, you can actually make out that it is 4 little dots very close together which make up the illuminated reticle. You don't see it when shooting and if you have brightness turned up to where you typically would for 1x RDS type shooting, it's all one dot. Just an observation and the nature of a FFP reticle working at 1x.

Moving up to 4x - 8x, it is not at all hard to get and stay behind on a 5.56 rifle, even standing shooting at steel at 100 yds. It is tight at 8x, as you'd expect from a uber small 1-8x24 scope but it's not hard - the eye relief is pretty much constant, but you lose some of the forward / back & lateral slop you have at lower power settings WRT eye placement.

I initially put forward and rear scope caps on it, but I found that I only like having a front cap on it (same as I do with the other 1-4/6 optics I have used).

Thanks Rhino. Mine should be in later next week. Think it will stand up to the SCAR 17? I’ve not used Nightforce CS but I suspect it’s pretty good. I had a blast banging steel out to 200 yards with irons but, I’m looking forward to mounting a scope on it. I shot about 150 rds and at 45 my eyes are really starting to suck!

posted Hide Post
I have no doubts that an NX8 can stand up to a SCAR 17.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Mine should be in later next week. Think it will stand up to the SCAR 17? I’ve not used Nightforce CS but I suspect it’s pretty good.

The NX8 should have no issues holding up to the SCAR's recoil. Make certain you attach the scope via a quality one-piece mount -- I'd be more concerned about the SCAR's upper receiver flex than its recoil.

NF scopes are tough. I've seen just about every scope brand but NF experience failures to track and hold zero in steel matches.

A few years ago I dropped an 17-ish pound rifle about two feet onto concrete. The rifle landed squarely on the left turret of the NF NSX F1 3.5-15x. The turret cover shattered and parts beneath it went flying. After collecting both the parts and my composure, I pressed the parts back in place. Illumination and parallax still worked.

I sent the scope back to NF for repairs. NF CS stated that the left turret cover was toast and the tube's edge for the left turret was scraped up but still OK. But the electronics were good, the glass was still fine, tracking was unaffected. A week later and a $125-ish repair bill, the scope was back in service. This scope still runs like a top. It's currently mounted on a 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10. It took the swan dive on a bolt action 308.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Mine should be in later next week. Think it will stand up to the SCAR 17? I’ve not used Nightforce CS but I suspect it’s pretty good.

The NX8 should have no issues holding up to the SCAR's recoil. Make certain you attach the scope via a quality one-piece mount -- I'd be more concerned about the SCAR's upper receiver flex than its recoil.

NF scopes are tough. I've seen just about every scope brand but NF experience failures to track and hold zero in steel matches.

A few years ago I dropped an 17-ish pound rifle about two feet onto concrete. The rifle landed squarely on the left turret of the NF NSX F1 3.5-15x. The turret cover shattered and parts beneath it went flying. After collecting both the parts and my composure, I pressed the parts back in place. Illumination and parallax still worked.

I sent the scope back to NF for repairs. NF CS stated that the left turret cover was toast and the tube's edge for the left turret was scraped up but still OK. But the electronics were good, the glass was still fine, tracking was unaffected. A week later and a $125-ish repair bill, the scope was back in service. This scope still runs like a top. It's currently mounted on a 6.5 Creedmoor AR-10. It took the swan dive on a bolt action 308.

That’s a great example Fritz. Thanks for sharing. I plan on putting mine in a LT111. Your right about the recoil. It’s pretty soft on the SCAR but, the receiver flex I keep reading about concerned me. I’m convinced now though.

posted Hide Post
Had the NX8 out again today, it's still on my 16" Midlength BCM AR-15. Shot 140rds of M193, around 1/2 at 10 yards working short range and reload drills - there were too many ppl around shooting to get consistent reading from my shot timer, so I gave up but feel is that I'm not giving much / anything up from my Vortex 1-6x Gen 2 PST.

The rest was shooting 2 steel plates and a full size IPSC Silhouette at 125 yards. None of them are hard to hit on 1-8x, but it was more time just to get used to the FFP optic and figure out what works in terms of illum when shooting at various magnification settings. I had a couple of misses, usually getting brave while trying to time the steel while it was swinging or just fonging it away.

Still loving this scope on the BCM AR15, it pairs very nicely IMO.

Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Got my NX8 1-8 in Friday along with the LaRue LT111 mount. Got it all mounted up and ready to go but didn’t get a chance to take it to the range. I think I got the diopter dialed in. 1x well, looks 1x to me. The glass on the NF does not disappoint. Now if I could just find a 0 oz. suppressor, life would be good.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Got my NX8 1-8 in Friday along with the LaRue LT111 mount. Got it all mounted up and ready to go but didn’t get a chance to take it to the range. I think I got the diopter dialed in. 1x well, looks 1x to me. The glass on the NF does not disappoint. Now if I could just find a 0 oz. suppressor, life would be good.

Yeah, that is the hard part with the 17, it's nice and light but it's easy to make it a piggy. But even then, it's far lighter than an MWS, etc.

NF turrets are awesome too - like dials on a bank vault, no hesitation or slop, just click-click-click.

Once you get used to it, very hard to access something less - granted you don't notice it much on a capped turret optic, but if you dial at all, it's so annoying to have mushy, indistinct turrets.