SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rimfire Rifle Discussion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
As a follow up, I got the final results back from Lapua for my Midas+ testing. They ran approx 700-750 rounds through my gun. There were three lots that stood out. Some were terrible. Crazy to see the differences in the lots through the same gun. Worst ten shot group was near 31mm outside to outside and best was 13.5mm outside at 50 meters. Worst 100mm was in the 60s outside and best was 25mm.

I chose this lot below that shot a combined 50 meters in the 15s outside to outside (just over 3/8" center to center) for 20 shots and had a 10 shot group at 100 meters of 25.7 outside (just over 3/4" center to center)

I learned a lot from this test and am glad I did it. I purchased a partial case 4700 rounds of my chosen lot. It still amazes me to see how bad some lots did. Can't wait to shoot this lot against my current lot of centerX in the real world. I now know I had the option to send some of that and be tested as a control. I do wish I had done that.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1957 marlin lever , 4 x weaver scope

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Got word of some "PRS" style rimfire matches starting up very close to me. Some odd rules but should still be fun. First match is in June. I think they'll draw a lot of people though. Best I can tell it will consist of:

Reactive steel ranging in size from 1.5"-8" and distances out to 210 yards.

Shooting positions that incorporate in part: prone, modified prone 90deg, rooftop simulation, various tabletop type barricades.

4 stages with 12 targets per stage varying points by difficulty. Several hostage type targets. Several at standing positions.

No rear bag! Period. On any stage and stock cannot touch rooftop -- this one's odd to me and certainly not thrilled about it but it's their rules. Can only use hand/fist for rear support at any time.

Once my gun gets back from testing I'll start practicing for this. I see a lot of dot drills in my future trying to get used to no rear bag. Any ideas or insight into how you practice rooftop? Especially considering these rules? I'm assuming it's the typical rooftop type setup like seen at most events. I've just always been able to use a larger bag to help with some support. I'm going to try to get more info on it if I can and may have to mock something up at home to play with it.

Getting past the odd no bag rule, I think the key to this is going to be as simple as having solid dope. Being new and them trying to draw in people I doubt the stuff will be hard by any stretch but guessing a lot of people will drop silly points not knowing dope. Hoping I can capitalize on that.

Jelrod, where is that match?

Jelrod, I'm in Morganton. What is the name of the range this is going on at? I may just go shoot in it if I'm off.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What software program are you using?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I think that's Meyton Ballistic Manager they are using. It's not mine. That's data from lot testing on my rifle Lapua sent me from their test tunnel in Mesa AZ.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Todd,

Catawba Valley Rifle and Pistol.

I'll check it out, thanks! Also, Bullseye down in Vale has occasional long range matches, rim fire and center fire both. They have a HUGE Groundhog shoot in the spring, I think this year was 270 shooters.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Loving this rimfire discussion, would love to see US trainers with globe sights woven in this discussion.

This work? May 1943 vintage WWII trainer: Remington 513-T MatchMaster, original stock, headspace shim installed on the bolt, 27" heavy target barrel and target stock with military sling swivels, parkerized "Military" finish, Redfield 75RT match globe rear sight with extra Williams 7/8 x 0.050 peep, Williams Globe front target sight & interchangeable apertures (clone of Lyman 17A), 6x and 10x magazines.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Finally got the rifle and ammo back from Lapua and got it back together today. I got a really good deal on a gen2XR S&B and mounted it. I got to go to the range and try it all out after work. This lot of Midas is really good. I'm a firm believer in lot testing now. Had a couple hiccups along the way but am very pleased with the results. Below is a five shot group on middle left and a ten shot group on middle right after getting zero'd at 50 yards. I shot some at 100 to get the drop difference to hopefully calculate some ballistics. Trying to decide if I'm going to tweak velocity or BC. Was 1.7 mils from 50 to 100. Wish I could do more testing but going to wing it.

posted Hide Post
nicely done.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Made it to the rimfire match today. Wasn't very well prepared but had fun. I found out bags were able to be used on some stages. Two guys stood out from everybody else and had the game changer bag. There were five stages.

Stage one was a barricade with three port holes. Had to shoot at small steel targets at 57 yards and use all three holes. Half the targets were hostage type. No bags, tripods of any kind. I drew unlucky number one so was first on everything. I did pretty badly on this stage.

Stage two was a large spool turned on its side. Again twelve shots and were at 112 yards. I didn't bring anything for support for that stage and was allowed. The two guys with game changer bags nearly cleaned it. I did ok with no support.

Stage three was prone on a tilted platform. Twelve shots like all stages and was at 165 yards. Bipod positioning was key and I did well on this one. Nearly cleaned it.

Stage four was a rooftop simulation with support. Targets were at 208. I did decent with nearly no support. The guys with the game changer did very well.

Stage five was 90 degree prone and could use a rear bag. Distance was 289. I did ok but could have been a lot better. Wind was a big factor.

Overall I learned what I really need to practice. The gun did well and I was decently successful at winging the dope. Second place was another guy shooting a 40x that I converted. He's a really good positional shooter. I figured out toward the end that I should have ran the targets differently. Once on I should have ran the hostage targets and would have had more points before running out of rounds. The series is best two out of three. Another match is in August and one in October. Best two are added together for final score. I ended up pulling out a 5th or 6th (not sure) here out of 20 some. I feel I could have done a lot better. I have a lot to ponder and practice.

posted Hide Post
I began the process of building a Remington 40X trainer rifle, which will be be close in size and feel to my competition centerfire rifles. Blame it on Alpine and offgrid for letting me shoot their 40X rifles. Blame it on jelrod1 for doing such a good job of putting their rifles together.

Essentially I bought a CMP Remington for the action and the trigger. Jelrod will install a new barrel, and make it into a repeater. The Manners stock that I was planning to use for a 223 bolt action will now to to the 22lr rifle. Need to consider optics sooner or later. And a 22lr can.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
Loving this rimfire discussion, would love to see US trainers with globe sights woven in this discussion.

This work? May 1943 vintage WWII trainer: Remington 513-T MatchMaster, original stock, headspace shim installed on the bolt, 27" heavy target barrel and target stock with military sling swivels, parkerized "Military" finish, Redfield 75RT match globe rear sight with extra Williams 7/8 x 0.050 peep, Williams Globe front target sight & interchangeable apertures (clone of Lyman 17A), 6x and 10x magazines.

nice rifle,

hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like the stock was not cut,
some were cut, or shaved, or rasped, along the comb to lower it, mostly ex school guns from what I have heard,

my 513T, redfield rear, globe front (I modified a redfield base to fit the screw holes for the front blade sight) is a damn good shooter,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took delivery of the Remington 40-XB last night. The action is amazingly smooth. The bolt still has much of its original bluing, so I think it hasn't been shot very much. Maybe only a few hundred rounds. Certainly less than a couple thousand rounds. Evidently the rifle was never shot after the owner bought it from the CMP.

The trigger is a stunning -- fairly light single-stage pull, a crisp break, no over travel. I think it's better than the tuned Remington triggers in my precision bolt action rifles.

The factory 28" barrel is....heavy. The gun is not balanced very well. A shorter barrel and a heavier stock should do wonders.

I think jelrod is going to make this thing into a fine repeating rifle.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Some 40x repeater fun today at the range.