SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rimfire Rifle Discussion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rimfire Rifle Discussion Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Next weekend I plan to introduce a 17-year-old to precision rifle shooting. His Dad is on my staff at the office. I intend to start him with my 22lr rifle, the move up to my 308 later in the day. So today I was scouting my range for the best shooting positions & targets, and trying to develop a plan of attack.

With that done, I had a little time to practice 22lr myself. I shot off a tripod, kneeling, with rear bag for support. Winds weren't fun -- 15 to 20 mph from my 3 o'clock -- enough to move me, while in an otherwise somewhat stable kneeling position.

200 yards on an 8" round plate was not child's play. For us Museum of Art (MOA) guys, wind holds were 10-14 MOA. For you Miley Cyrus (mil) guys, roughly 3-4 mils. One of these days, maybe, I'll learn to read wind while shooting a 22.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, I don't own anything like the 40X rifles shown here.

I have only two rimfire bolt action rifles. One of them is the Wifama kbks Wz. 78 (Polish Military training rifle). These rifles turned out to very accurate and consistent.

The other one is the Ruger American Rimfire Target. It's new enough that I haven't had a chance to shoot it past 25 yards yet. It does seem promising so far. The best part is that it uses the Ruger 10/22 magazines.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Got word of some "PRS" style rimfire matches starting up very close to me. Some odd rules but should still be fun. First match is in June. I think they'll draw a lot of people though. Best I can tell it will consist of:

Reactive steel ranging in size from 1.5"-8" and distances out to 210 yards.

Shooting positions that incorporate in part: prone, modified prone 90deg, rooftop simulation, various tabletop type barricades.

4 stages with 12 targets per stage varying points by difficulty. Several hostage type targets. Several at standing positions.

No rear bag! Period. On any stage and stock cannot touch rooftop -- this one's odd to me and certainly not thrilled about it but it's their rules. Can only use hand/fist for rear support at any time.

Once my gun gets back from testing I'll start practicing for this. I see a lot of dot drills in my future trying to get used to no rear bag. Any ideas or insight into how you practice rooftop? Especially considering these rules? I'm assuming it's the typical rooftop type setup like seen at most events. I've just always been able to use a larger bag to help with some support. I'm going to try to get more info on it if I can and may have to mock something up at home to play with it.

Getting past the odd no bag rule, I think the key to this is going to be as simple as having solid dope. Being new and them trying to draw in people I doubt the stuff will be hard by any stretch but guessing a lot of people will drop silly points not knowing dope. Hoping I can capitalize on that.

Jelrod, where is that match?

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Here's a Mossberg 144LSB, which I refinished and cleaned up a few years ago.
The scope was replaced with a Vortex. The rifle shoots very well and Federal Automatch & SK Lapua 40gr std plus are the loads that shoot tiny little groups Smile

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
Below is a 100 yard group shot with my Wifama kbks Wz. 78 rifle using Wolf MT.
It was shot, off bags, on a very rare day in So. Minnesota when there was no wind. The flyer was probably me.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a semi-custom AR22, just for training. I like being able to put many rounds downrange when shooting positional. I think shooting offhand or positional is most like a real self defense situation, so that is mostly what I do with the AR22.

This was shot at 100 yards on a swirly day, with a bipod and my fist for a rear support.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Barndog00, it's in the Newton/Conover area.

Finally started getting some results in from Lapua test facility. I've got to weed through all the info but batch #33 of Midas+ looks promising. These are outside to outside dimensions and are in millimeters. I've got to call them tomorrow to go over the data. They tested CenterX and Midas +. And data was captured at both 50 and 100 meters. Had to get this pic from my phone and I'll see how it posts. Will post more data once I get more of an understanding from them what I got.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
I'm just not sure about that data posted. I'll clarify tomorrow once I talk to them. They have written on it 100 meter but I'm just not sure. If true that's great but needs clarification when put with the rest of the data. After looking at all they sent me I think one lot of CenterX performed the best from the ammo tested.

Posts: 1771 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: March 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
Well, some of the results were mislabeled and some just didn't make sense. They are going to give the rifle a thorough cleaning and retest. Will post results once I get them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jelrod1:
Well, some of the results were mislabeled and some just didn't make sense.

Well that's frustrating. Batch #33 does look pretty good, however.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
GCE61, you did a beautiful job on that Mossberg.

Posts: 15847 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
This was shot at 100 yards on a swirly day...

Yep, 22lr + distance + winds isn't for the faint of heart.

Chasing Bugholes
Picture of jelrod1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Well that's frustrating. Batch #33 does look pretty good, however.

That lot along with 8 or so new lots that are showing up next week will be tested in the redo. This particular lot showed better results at 100 than 50 from the data as presented to me so just seems odd. I'll certainly take it if true but want to see further results before deciding.

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
GCE61, you did a beautiful job on that Mossberg.

Thank you sir.
It's a fine old rifle, took quite a bit of TLC Smile

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anybody here have a sako Finn fire?

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy these rim fire threads. I've got a few with a MP15-22 coming Monday.

Browning T-Bolt 1971
Henry Golden Boy
CZ 452 American

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. 200yds with a 22LR seems so far. Obviously I need to get out more.

Other than a mix of parts on a 10/22 with Weaver scope, I have a CZ455 in 17HMR that's made me want to pick up a CZ in 22LR to compliment it. I'll probably be in the painful spot of upgrading scopes before long.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8340 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

I have one with a Lilja barrel. The thing is a tack driver!

Posts: 251 | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by equivet:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:

I have one with a Lilja barrel. The thing is a tack driver!

Nice, I bet it is. They look like nice rifles.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took the 17-year-old son of one of my staff shooting today -- his first real precision shooting. Previously he plinked with a value-priced 22 rifle and shot a .30-06 hunting rifle. I held "class" for about 45 minutes before we shot, going over the fundamentals as I learned them from Rifles Only courses.

We started with my 22 bolt action at 50 yards. Some groups, some dot drills. When he drilled a 1/3" group with Eley Club ammo, I figured I better move on before he made me look like a beginner. I had small steel targets at 50, 75, 90, and 107 yards. More generous steel at 148 and 203 yards. He had never even shot his 30-06 beyond 125 yards, so ringing a 203 yard gong with a 22lr was like Christmas, Birthday, and Halloween celebrations all at once.

His ability to hold elevation is outstanding, although he tends to shoot about 3/4 MOA low. This could be the way he places his eye in the eyebox of scopes -- I'm still uncertain about this. Possible a parallax issue, doesn't seem to be breathing, doesn't appear to be rear bag.

Once I felt his skills were solid with the 22, we progressively pulled back to 400, 500, 600, even 800 yards with my suppressed 308. It might be a few days before his Dad can wipe the grin off his face.

I am completely confident that teaching someone to shoot with a 22lr is the best path.