SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Gun storage evolution
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun storage evolution Login/Join 
Picture of creslin
posted
It's funny how quickly safes fill up.
After I bought my first long gun I purchased a crap little stack on cabinet:
http://www.stack-on.com/produc...un-security-cabinet/

I went this route because I lived 2nd floor in an apartment and they told me the floors were not strong enough to hold a full blown bigass safe.

In fairly short order I filled it up.
So I bought a 2nd one.
Then I filled it up.

I then happily moved out of the apartment and into a rental house. (yay house!)

Finally made the leap and bought an actual safe:
https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/super-titan

As I still rent, this brand made the most sense to me.
When the time comes to move out, I can simply disassemble it and load it on a truck without much fuss.
Within a couple months.... I filled it up.
Pulled one of the old stack-on cabinets out of the storage room and began using it in addition to the safe.

Finally last week I dropped a pile of cash on the big one:
https://www.snapsafe.com/modul...itan-xxl-double-door

It just arrived today and took me a couple hours to assemble by myself.
The directions say to put it all together while it's laying on its back - then stand it up and put the doors on.
This is feasible for the smaller ones... but damn impossible with this behemoth (for 1 person).
After trying unsuccessfully for an hour or so to find some way to stand this thing up without help I ended up unattaching the whole back panel and just stood the frame up - then stood up the back panel and attached it while upright.
After that it was pretty much easy work of sliding it into place and putting the doors on.
I know there will likely be some comments about "you need to bolt that thing down" - but remember... I rent. Landlord would likely frown on me cutting holes in the carpet and stuff.

Was wavering back and forth on whether I should sell the old one or not.
Decided to keep it around and use it for the extra tall/long rifles/shotguns (pulled the upper shelf out).

So I now finally have room to grow again! (yay!)

New safe nice and empty:

New safe with a pile of stuff in it:

Old safe with long guns (it has a pretty small door so you can't see them all):

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Your off to a good start! Big Grin

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I always say im going to sell the old safe when i get a new one but I end up keeping them. Never have a shortage of stuff I dont want stolen Smile

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
not a suppressor fan I see. Big Grin I love the idea of those safes, I may have to look into one.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice collection, NFA and otherwise!

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ero
posted Hide Post
How long before you invest in a larger model? Cool

Very nice, indeed. I am envious.

Dan

Posts: 1956 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
Very nice! You're going to need a "walk-in" safe if you keep going!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Those safes aren't even 1/5 full.

Get to work.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Those safes aren't even 1/5 full.

Get to work.

haha I fully plan to!

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have outgrown my one and only safe.

I wil not say what I am doing with what I consider my lesser guns. Frown

That safe is a neat idea, thanks for posting !

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What is this you're using for handgun storage?

And would it work for revolvers, too?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
http://www.libertysafe.com/acc...ers-ps-15-pg-61.html

Works for anything with a barrel.
There's like 4 different models to choose from.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Man that is a beast of a safe, and a very healthy collection, nice work!

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post