SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    9MM Pistol to Eventually SBR?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9MM Pistol to Eventually SBR? Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
So I'm looking at starting a 9mm AR style Pistol.

Trying to stay around $1K-$1,200 +/- if I can. Will likely SBR it at some later time. Already have 4x stamps what's another? Smile This will be a range toy mainly. But who knows.. It could serves some home defense as well at some point. Have some fun money coming my way on 3/16. So would like to purchase / start putting things in shopping cart then.

My List:
Sig MPX : A little spendy by the time I put a brace on it. If I found a used one near my price point this might be the best option.

Scorpion EVO: Meets price point. BUT: Will end up spending money getting rid of sharp edges and selector.

AR Pistol Build:
I like the thought of FM Products Side Charging Upper in either 8.5" or 10.5". They are going to launch a billet lower any day now. Or could build a generic AR pattern 9mm AR.

Edit to Add :
B&T P26: No experience with the pistol. But looks like a fun gun in the price range.

Kriss Vector: As someone mentioned below. Definitely would want 9mm. Is the system a novelty? How is the gun to shoot with a brace? I haven't been behind one.

What are my other options? What else should I consider before I buy/build?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
For that price range either a scorpion or an ar from quarter circle. I'd lean scorpion though.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
For that price range either a scorpion or an ar from quarter circle. I'd lean scorpion though.

Scorpion I'd want to get rid of the pic rail & ambi safety right out the gate. Hated those things about it.

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Safety is easy and cheap. Did the same with mine. Next up is to do a 3 lug barrel and hbi handguard to work with it. Just have put it off since it hasnt been high on my list lately. Care more about the barrel than anything.

If I didnt get the deal I did on a scorpion then I would have saved more and gotten an mpx or apc9.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
What about Kriss Vector? with a brace it would run around what you want to spend.

Bonus is if you already have Glock mags, which everyone does pretty muchSmile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
What about Kriss Vector? with a brace it would run around what you want to spend.

Bonus is if you already have Glock mags, which everyone does pretty muchSmile

Added to the list. Never shot one so hadn't thought about it. I always thought they were a novelty gun that didn't fit any need of mine. Off to do research.

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Rethink your price point.... the APC9 is the best gun I’ve owned. Or for a little more than your price point try the GMH9.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
A CZ Scorpion Evo, even with additions/tweaks, will still be under $1k. (Not counting tax stamp.)

And they're a blast to shoot.

You may find, as I did, that with the right brace, you don't feel the need for a tax stamp.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colt LE6991? No, it's not a pistol but if you plan to SBR it down the road, why wait? Save the engraving headaches. These can be found at or under your price range. I bought one NIB last year for $1000. Still waiting for the stamp but should be any month now.

Posts: 58 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Having a couple from your list... the Scorpion is hard to beat! Built like a tank and eats any and all ammo thrown @ it and cheap mags to boot ! Got a little over 2k rounds all suppressed and haven't even cleaned it yet !!

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I went the 9mm AR route for my SBR. I came across a PSA Colt pattern mag block for cheap and I kind of like building ARs so I went that route.

To do over again I would have spent a little more and got a POF or Omega Mp5 clone.

My 9mm SBR will likely be redesignated to a different caliber as I purchased a dedicated Colt pattern lower and plan to use an SB tactical PDW brace.
I do like my 9mm SBR but having one as a pistol is much easier to travel with. No need to request permission for it to leave the state.
I’ll likely get a .300blk upper to redesignate the current SBR and sell the mag block.

I would like to shoot a B&T gun as I have been hearing lots of good things. Though mags look to be around $50 which is a big turn off to me as I like to have quite a few mags. Like a minimum of 10.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

I would like to shoot a B&T gun as I have been hearing lots of good things. Though mags look to be around $50 which is a big turn off to me as I like to have quite a few mags. Like a minimum of 10.

I'd love to get a APC9. They look fantastic. But at $2K they are just to far over my budget. Same with some of the MP5 clones out there. At least the really nice ones.

Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
A friend has both a .45 and 9mm Vector... I didn't mind it so much in the .45 but his 9mm is one HEAVY sumbitch... but there is 0 recoil with the 9.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I am not fully versed in the differences in B&T models but the GHM9 is in the $1300 range.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.c...detail.html?Itemid=0

POF and Omega Mp5s should be similar on the used market. So not too much higher than your budget.

————————————————

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not fully versed in the differences in B&T models but the GHM9 is in the $1300 range.

POF and Omega Mp5s should be similar on the used market. So not too much higher than your budget.

Good eye. Going to do some research. They look bomb proof.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Wait for Palmetto to offer one of their pistols on sale again; it is a common occurance, and a steal at $499 shipped. Lots of cash left over for BUIS, red dot, and mags.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Wait for Palmetto to offer one of their pistols on sale again; it is a common occurance, and a steal at $499 shipped. Lots of cash left over for BUIS, red dot, and mags.

That reminds me PSA is supposed to release a mp5 clone here this year no word of exact pricing but said cheaper than any other clone on the market.

————————————————

Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

That reminds me PSA is supposed to release a mp5 clone here this year no word of exact pricing but said cheaper than any other clone on the market.

I had thought about waiting for them and their clone. But I just don't think I'll be able to be that patient.

"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I use an ATI Milsport pistol in local steel matches. I decided against the paperwork and expense of an SBR. This little ATI has been reliable and I have shot 100% suppressed.
There is a side charging upper available with LRBHO.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I ordered a Zenith MP5 clone from Atlantic for a friend,
it is well north of the budget but overall a very nice 'pistol' with blade type brace,

he is very happy with it,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post