SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How do I clean my new AR15 rifle?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do I clean my new AR15 rifle? Login/Join 
Picture of awa762
posted Hide Post
I have always enjoyed referring back to this article (below). I'm sure that you will find it helpful!!!

Pat Rogers Keep Your AR 15 Running

Join and Support the NRA

Posts: 180 | Location: Greater New Orleans Area... see us on the news??? | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of BucFan
posted Hide Post
What a great read. Downloaded and saved.

Thank you. Cool

Sig P229R 9mm - Sig P365 NRA
Sig P320C 9mm - Sig P320 FS .40

Posts: 1049 | Location: FL | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you hose it down with enough lube you don't ever need to clean an AR. Big Grin

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great that you got a new AR, the pic of your son-in-law with that "I just shot an AR for the first time smile" is priceless.

I got my son-in-law a stripped lower and lower parts kit when he graduated from Med school.
He had the same smile when he shot it for the first time.

When I went out to Gunsight Gun school last summer, the question came up about what oil to use to lube your weapons.

The head trainer of our class said he uses Mobile 1. Most ARs that did not function right in our group were because they were not oiled up.
My son and I both used Slip 2000 extreme and had zero issues. He used a BCM and I used my Daniel Defense.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great that you got a new AR, the pic of your son-in-law with that "I just shot an AR for the first time smile" is priceless.

Big Grin
I agree!

quote:
The head trainer of our class said he uses Mobile 1. Most ARs that did not function right in our group were because they were not oiled up.

Interesting... Mobile 1 is good stuff in my vehicles.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24066 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I recently saw an instagram post by Kyle Defoor and he uses oil right off his motorcycle dipstick into the two gas vent holes on his AR when he is "on the road" and they run all day.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The other mistake I see people make, is to WAY under lubricate this rifle. I have never seen a rifle that needed more lube than an AR15. You can literally drown an AR15 in lube, and it will work perfect. They choke when they run out of lube. So use lube. A lot of it. And a thicker viscosity lube when hot (Weaponshield, Slip 2000 30 etc). Pre Iraq/Afghanistan, the prevailing logic was to use just a little bit of lube. Now they recommend a shit ton of lube. A sandy gun WILL work if heavily lubricated. It will choke with light lube.

In my experience, that is true.

In 2016, I was the Officer in Charge of running the M4/M16 range for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who went through Ft. Bliss before heading overseas. We had 2 courses of fire set up:

-course one was with 120 rounds of ammunition on a reflex fire range
-course two was a movement to contact with 60 rounds of ammunition

If we had more ammunition, shooters were allowed to shoot. If we had a lot more ammunition, we even let guys have fun by going into burst.

Ft. Bliss is a desert. It's hot, dry and windy.

We sent 12,000 service members through those courses from January-October 2016.

The weapons that failed were the ones that were dry. We kept CLP on hand for a quick spray and the weapon would be up and running again.

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I recommend AeroKroil or Kroil for carbon removal from bolt and BCG. It comes off so easily....and no scraping.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fusternc,

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fusternc:
I rcommend AeroKroil or Kroil for carbon removal from bolt and BCG. It comes off so easily....and no scraping.

Kroil is good stuff for removing carbon. ALG Go Juice does an amazing job of carbon removal. I’ve been using it on my SF muzzle devices and inside the suppressor’s mount. It melts away the carbon.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post