SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Build or buy 22lr AR upper?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Build or buy 22lr AR upper? Login/Join 
posted
I have one of the original CMMG 22lr BCG conversions like this:

Would you all buy the collar to modify my current 22 BCG and build an upper or buy the whole thing pre-built?

Thanks

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I say just buy a complete 22LR rifle, I got a Walther/Colt for $300 last year from CDNN, PSA has had them for $249. Mine has been flawless after 100rds during several sessions.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...walther-5760300.html

I bought the CMMG conversion kit, it was a jammomatic in an AR, can't remember if it was RRA or Armalite. Brownells gave me a refund no questions asked.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have handled and shot both the Colt and the S&W 22 dedicated rifles,

I bought the S&W, and love it,

I did swap out the trigger, cause I felt like it (takes an AR trigger)

runs fine, 1000 rnds of so thru it,

I have a M261, which seems similar to the CMMG and have used it thru several AR's with 0 issues

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Walther Colt and it was junk. I've since used several CMMG .22lr complete uppers with very good results. I know several with the S&W and they seem very happy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I bought a complete Nordic Components 8.25” upper and have been very happy with it.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I bought the S&W M&P 15-22 because, at least at the time, it was the only AR15 clone that operated identically to a real AR15. The Colt/Walther did not. Mine has been flawless. I would go that route and not look back. It’s easier to have a dedicated gun that generally is not much more than an upper.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Went through a similar dilema a few months back.
Ended up with a S&W 15-22 with no regrets other than it uses proprietary mags.
I have a bunch of AR style mags for my 522 which I would have liked to use.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a 10.5" PDW CMMG 22LR upper which other than cost is great upper, but I was looking for something to use with my M16, I can't recall ever having an issue with it in semi-auto except with the Black Dog 50(?)rnd drum, but that was a mag issue. Their standard mags are fine, I just wish the follower had a button to pull the follower down to make loading easier like the S&W 22LR mags … and maybe they do now, I haven't looked at them foe 4-5 years.

I've also got a military M261 22 conversion which was a jam-o-matic and CMMG 22 conversion which runs fine.

Of the 2 types, the CMMG complete upper is by far more accurate which I can only attribute to the barrel as an AR15 barrel wasn't designed for a 22LR … but of course the the issue could be with the conversion insert … the CMMG conversion does fit tighter, but still doesn't measure up to the purpose built upper.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post