SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a .308 "battle" rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a .308 "battle" rifle. Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
When I get around to it, This is the optic I will probably go with:

Nightforce 2.5x-10x 24mm.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...inated-reticle-matte

It seems like a good match for the 17s.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
When I get around to it, This is the optic I will probably go with:
Nightforce 2.5x-10x 24mm.

NF Compact scopes are good, assuming the application is right for the rifle in question. IMO this is a good application.

I'm not sold on the 24mm objective Compacts. For $40-ish more, one gets a 40mm objective and adjustable side focus -- both of which are noticeably superior for such a scope.

Posts: 7866 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a ton of shooting with the various NXS Compacts and I recommend the 2.5-10x42 version. period.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It seems a shame to limit your options to just a red dot on a rifle that'll go so much further than 0-200 but we want what we want. I've gone Aimpoint T-1 and Trijicon MRO and finally just went MRO on all but my Scar17 which sports an Acog 33R9.

Posts: 6008 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I think that the NF 2.5-10x42 (in the hog picture that I posted on page 2) is the ideal optic fit for what the SCAR 17S can do. But if you were looking for more of a close range optic I would go with the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x24.

The Razor 1-6x has amazing glass but it's a beefcake at 26oz. That's 6oz heaver than my NF 2.5-10x42!

I have an Aimpoint Pro on my SBR 16S which is great for an SBR but I think too limiting with what a 17S can do. I have the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 (RS24-C) on my 16" 16S and it's my favorite low power variable scope.

I used it in a 3-day carbine class this summer that included CQB, a shoot house, unknown distance steel out to ~200 yards, and a run-n-gun from 300 yards back in to 10 yards, etc. The Triji was a perfect fit and much more capable than when I have taken the same class in the past with a red dot. It only weighs 16oz and the Aero mount shown below is only 3oz. A magnified optic also helps with target ID at longer distances.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
308 Tavor

Knowing how very rear heavy the 5.56 Tavor SAR is, I’m wondering how this is going to handle.

It's true that the Tavor is heavy in general and the weight is definitely biased towards the rear. However, I find this actually helps the rifle to handle better, particularly if you are shooting offhand. Your shoulder somehow takes most of the weight, making the front of the rifle very easy and pleasant to support. Plus, even though it has a 16" barrel, being a bullpup the overall length is very short.

Honestly my chief concern about a .308 is the trigger, which will probably suck. However, it's a snap to swap out for an aftermarket trigger. You just have to factor the cost (really expensive) into the budget.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, everyone.

Why will the rifle be set up for such close range? Those are the ranges at which I do 99.95% of my shooting. There are no ranges available to me which offer to longer distance.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
It seems a shame to limit your options to just a red dot on a rifle that'll go so much further than 0-200 but we want what we want.

Interesting you bring that up.

I've been following this thread but haven't commented as I'm reading the various opinions to learn. I've been thinking about the PSA AR10 and one thing I want to do different from my AR15 is not going to the red dot. Kind of shortens the potential of the .308 to me.

I'm not even sure what I want the AR10 for. Big Grin

Posts: 13086 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
This is easy - forget the red-dot; get the Kahles K16i 1-6x24

Here is an excellent review that details why this scope is so good:

http://www.westernshooter.com/...6x24-sm1-review.html

Cheers,
i8mtm

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by i8mtm:
This is easy - forget the red-dot; get the Kahles K16i 1-6x24

Here is an excellent review that details why this scope is so good:

http://www.westernshooter.com/...6x24-sm1-review.html

Cheers,
i8mtm

This. 6 oz lighter than the Vortex, great glass quality. Daylight visible red dot. Built in cat tail for adjusting magnification. Pair it with an Aero mount, and it is the lightest option.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have an Aimpoint T1 on my 16 but the 17 screams for magnification, at least 1-4x or 1-6x.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3639 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I also wanted to add, get the Bobro dual-lever mount for the Kahles/Scar combo.

Bobro makes a mount specifically for the Scar. You can choose levers on the left or levers on the right.

I prefer levers on the left because I run my charge handle on the right, but it is up to you.

The Bobro mounts are the *Best* in my humble opinion.

Here is a link

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/38/

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
I have the following

1. 12" AR10

2. M1A Socom

3. M1A National Match

4. Springfield SAR8

The best option IMO is the M1A, very accurate and trigger is replaceable. Good overall features I would recommended switching out the stock for a EBR.

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have the SCAR-17, Geissele trigger, ACOG TA33-8 and it is perfect from 10-100 meters.

(Have not had a chance to shoot further)

I was lucky enough to score a dozen black mags for about $20 each, when FED was all the rage.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Hmm, it appears there are some companies making lowers for the SCAR-17 out of aluminum which allow the use of Magpul AR-10 magazines. Interesting!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Hmm, it appears there are some companies making lowers for the SCAR-17 out of aluminum which allow the use of Magpul AR-10 magazines. Interesting!

Yup. That's the route I took. Very happy so far.

Stock lower...

Aftermarket lower (with Geissele trigger)...

Reminds me that I need to swap out the grip to a lighter one to get back to stock weight.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.lmtstore.com/compl...s-firearms-guns.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
I looked hard at the 1-6 Kahles. Great optic at a premium price point I couldn’t justify. I went with a Leupold VX-6 1-6 and love it.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Houndog:
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:
Originally posted by walker77:
308 Tavor

Knowing how very rear heavy the 5.56 Tavor SAR is, I’m wondering how this is going to handle.

It's true that the Tavor is heavy in general and the weight is definitely biased towards the rear. However, I find this actually helps the rifle to handle better, particularly if you are shooting offhand. Your shoulder somehow takes most of the weight, making the front of the rifle very easy and pleasant to support. Plus, even though it has a 16" barrel, being a bullpup the overall length is very short.

Honestly my chief concern about a .308 is the trigger, which will probably suck. However, it's a snap to swap out for an aftermarket trigger. You just have to factor the cost (really expensive) into the budget.

Accuracy with the 5.56 Tavors wasn't great: < comparably priced ARs.

If the point of the getting a .308 is to throw a bigger round, fine, but if the point is to reach at more accurately and farther than a 5.56 can go, then the Tavor might leave you wanting.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
another good option for a 308 is the LWRC REPR, I absolutely loved mine and wouldn't have sold it if I'd had somewhere farther than an indoor range to shoot it at the time.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post