SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a .308 "battle" rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a .308 "battle" rifle. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE] Accuracy with the 5.56 Tavors wasn't great: < comparably priced ARs. If the point of the getting a .308 is to throw a bigger round, fine, but if the point is to reach at more accurately and farther than a 5.56 can go, then the Tavor might leave you wanting.[/QUOTE]

OP has said that clover leaf accuracy is not his primary goal. I agree that a Tavor isn't going to be able to run with LaRue, LWRC, etc. but I think their reputation for "not being accurate" is exaggerated. Last time I was at the range with a buddy he was shooting his Tavor and consistently hitting a 10x14 steel plate at 300 yards sitting cross-legged and resting the rifle on his knee - i.e. traditional sitting position. If I bench the rifle I can hit a 10" circle from this distance pretty consistently. And that's with a 3x scope shooting XM193. I realize that's approx. 3MOA, which is nothing to write home about, but certainly acceptable "practical" accuracy. And I do feel that the bullpup design enables me to get hits shooting offhand that I would not get with another rifle, even if the rifle itself is objectively more accurate.

So, for the OP, it really comes down to what he wants to do with the rifle. If he'll be benching it and shooting out to 600-800 yards, the Tavor is definitely not the way to go. If he's looking for something that's very reliable, compact yet with a 16" barrel, maneuverable, and easy to do positional shooting with, it's tough to beat a Tavor.

Posts: 541 | Location: Gunnison, CO | Registered: March 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post