SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a .308 "battle" rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a .308 "battle" rifle. Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Lots of SCAR love, I see.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through the same dilemma... decided on the SCAR 17S. No regrets.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Is anyone making decent magazines for the SCAR-17, or is the factory magazine pretty much it?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
The factory mags are the best game in town.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
For fun and... more fun, Jerry Miculeck shoots the FN/FAL..

https://youtu.be/Dt3qEbwYoRI

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SCAR's are nice. Everyone I know that owns one loves them.

A good AR-10 is hard to beat! Parts are easy to find. (I like LMT's, fwiw.

https://www.lmtstore.com/compl...uns/lm308comp16.html

You want longer or shorter barrel? just buy another barrel and toss it in, no need to get a whole new upper.)

FN-FAL? Another great gun. DS Arms makes a nice one. Parts are readily available too.

Then again, it's hard to beat a good old M-1A!
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/7950038134

http://buladefense.com/#PRODUCTS
http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I'll add another vote for the SCAR 17s. I think they have a lot to offer in terms of performance, longevity and weight. With the holidays approaching, you may be able to find mags on sale and maybe even the rifle at a discount if you're lucky.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
A previous poster had mentioned the GA Precision GAP-10 and a bunch of folks have suggested the SCAR17. Here are both for comparison. The GAP-10 is absolutely the most accurate rifle I own but is very heavy; not a rifle to tote thru the woods. The SCAR17 is a hoot to shoot; lightweight with tame recoil.

[/IMG]

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love my M1A SOCOM 16. It is essentially an M14 with a shorter barrel. It is solid, reliable, and accurate.

Posts: 702 | Location: Gatesville, TX | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'm pinching my pennies for an SR-25. But I'm kind of a KAC whore

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
JLD PTR-91 cheap magazines, dings up brass, and has a healthy kick but I like it.

This is the model I have.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/tum...JA1r9khx4o1_1280.jpg

I have this in an HK91A. I want a SCAR 17S. It would be my second FN rifle. After the first, I consider the cost worth it.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
The idea, I suppose, is that this rifle be a viable option to deploy in a defensive role. At present, my AR-15 carbine is my go-to home defense weapon. I want this rifle to be viable for this role. It sounds like any of the platforms are more than accurate enough. I'm quite unlikely to ever shoot it at targets beyond 100 yards, so extreme accuracy is not a requirement. And, besides, distance shooting is not really a skill set that I possess. I'm more interested in a rifle that is lighter weight, maneuverable, and fires well from a standing and unsupported position than from a bench.

The SCAR-17 sounds like the hands-down favorite. Smile

-ShneaSIG

Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a SCAR, especially if you like to use optics. I have a SCAR 17 and a very nice FAL. I prefer to shoot the FAL, it just feels more comfortable to me. I use iron sights on both. Neither is a "go to" rifle for me as I prefer 5.56. I'm currently looking at getting a PTR91 as they finally have the configuration I want (regular profile barrel, steel lower, and paddle mag release). I bought 20 brand new mags after the ban for a little over 20 bucks (10 steel, 10 aluminum) so I figure it's time to get the rifle. Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Away:
I really like my Daniel Defense DDV5. It is accurate, reliable, and balanced well.

I impulse-bought a DD5V1 - Daniel Defense's 16" AR10. I know a lot of AR10 manufacturers specify to only use their parts, as AR10's weren't ever really spec'd across the board for standardization. But Daniel Defense isn't going anywhere, and I know they have the parts I might need. I really love it, except I sometimes wonder if I'd have liked a V2 - the 18" version better. But I'm really happy with mine the way it is.

The benefit of the AR10 is that magpul mags are cheap, manual of arms is the same, accessories are plentiful and inexpensive. any upgrades to mine are mostly AR15 parts like grips and stocks and rail-mounted accessories. biggest downside is weight. with the scope, suppressor, a full 25-round mag, bipod, etc. it's pretty hefty compared to my AR15s.

The SCAR is unique, but having never fired one, I can't comment too much on it. I'd love to try a SCAR someday and maybe buy one.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I weighed it out and went Scar 17 a few years back. I've had mine for a while now and haven't regretted it. It depends on your usage of course but the Scar checks most of the boxes except being a historic design you want an M14/M1A.

Even with the stock trigger I find accuracy to be excellent. Its a nice compact package that folds so it doesn't eat my safe. Its light weight and well balanced so it feels like a 556 carbine. Its fed and fired everything I've fed it and seems to have a good accuracy node to the point where I sometimes question trying to find a load for it. The kick is light for a 308 for quick follow ups and it leaves me with reloadable brass. If you like irons I find the stock sights to be very nice. It has a reputation for eating optics and I cant confirm it personally but I run a Burris XTR 1.5-8 in an ADM delta on it and it has been fine. The mags aren't cheap but they are consistently found around $33 which isn't terrible and they seem durable. It is currently in service so its proven in combat if that matters to you. It works great normal or suppressed and doesn't smoke you out with a can. Depending on your property I think its not what I'd run in my house but I'd run it for exterior problems without a second thought.

If I didn't go with the Scar I'd have likely gone with an LMT MWS or OBR. The only thing that's changed on the market is the MDR which I like in theory but is too new to say anything about as I have no personal experience besides being interested in it.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
As a fan of the AR platform I ocassionaly look at the 308 offerings. What keeps me away is the lack of standardization. I'm just afraid I'll get something and a few years down the road it will not be supported as the industry changed.

The two I have given serious thought to are the LMT MWS (big LMT fan) and the piston driven PWS. I have a 5.56 PWS upper and it's sweet. As far as the MWS I really want one with the .243 barrel. I think that would be the cats pajamas.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
I also chose the Daniel Defense DD5V1.

I own a few DD rifles and have never had an issue with any of them.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
So many good choices and reasons listed above.

The SCAR 17S is a neat weapon. Very light weight somewhat innovative with a selectable gas system for suppressed use and more than reasonably accurate.

The LMT MWS can be purchased with stainless steel barrels for greater accuracy or chrome lined for better corrosion resistance and longer life. Both are accurate for what they do and as mentioned earlier, barrel swaps are as easy as removing and re torquing two bolts. There is no adjustable gas on any model 308 MWS. This could be a problem for suppressor users.

The LaRue PredatOBR/OBR are both great choices for accuracy, parts availability and does comes with selectable gas. The chamber is cut using a proprietary technology called Xtraxn (like extraction) that is very tough on brass if you are a hand loader.

There are some very inexpensive AR pattern rifles in .308 from Palmetto State Armory. I don’t own one but have friends who do. They shoot fine and are standard enough to swap barrels, gas blocks, triggers and most any other AR furniture you’d like. This might be a good entry into the AR-308 world.

If you want a trophy weapon that is accurate and envy-worthy look at Knights Armament SR25 series, H&K’s MR762A1 (very accurate) or the GAP-10 G2 (extremely accurate). Also, take a look at the LWRCI R.E.P.R.

There are other modern choices out there too like the Sig 716 and Colt 901. They are both a bit heavy.

I am leaving tons of great rifles out but it is easier today to assemble an AR-308/AR-15 than every before. If so inclined that might be fun to put together exactly what you want.

If you are really think your max range is 100 yards and you think you would put a lightweight optic on it then I don’t know anything that is not made out of semi-exotic materials, Christensen Arms comes to mind, that is lighter than the SCAR 17S and manages recoil so effortlessly. I learned the hard way that slinging a heavy rifle around for a couple of days is torture.

There are no bad choices here. Most gun ranges have a few AR-308s to try out and almost all have a SCAR. Try to shoot some.

You’ve got a fun decision to make.

Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Amurr
posted Hide Post
These are the only one I would consider from cheapest to most expensive. The LMT is a good gun also but it's a pig for weight:

1) DD V5
2) PWS
3) SCAR 17
4) Wilson
5) Larue
6) KAC

Posts: 2628 | Location: On the shore of Lake Lanier | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
I have all of the .308 Battle rifles (and some nice examples of each).

LRB Forged M14 type

Springfield Armory M1A with all USGI parts

DSA FAL's (standard & para) from back when LMT made their receiver's and most of the parts were original Steyr.

Licensed Greek HK 91 & PTR Clones

They all are good, they all have a certain appeal to me, but NONE of them are what I would grab in a SHTF scenario....

For that it would be my Scar 17! Light, Accurate, Reliable, Works well suppressed, easy to maintain, easy to mount optics and accessories, and now you can add things like the Kinetic Defense M-Lok Extended rail and get fantastic "modern" ergonomics.

Get the SCAR 17 and be done with it. You will never regret it.

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post