SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I want a .308 "battle" rifle.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a .308 "battle" rifle. Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
I want to put a meaner bullet launcher into my safe, and I want it to be all of the things I consider my AR-15 carbine to be: utterly reliable, durable, and reasonably accurate. I'm more concerned with reliability and durability than shooting clover-leaf groups at 1,000 yards.

Some requirements: easy magazine availability, 18" or less barrel length, and a good likelihood of the platform remaining in production or spare parts remaining available for at least the next ten years.

As for price restrictions, while I'm not wanting to throw money out the window for no meaningful return, I'll put whatever is necessary into the weapon to meet my requirements. Buy once, cry once!

So, what say you all? Scar-17? An AR-10? A piston AR pattern rifle? M-1A?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What's your price range?

A SCAR-17 is great, but pricey, with expensive mags too.

M1As and some of the fancier .308 ARs are a bit cheaper at $1500-$2k.

Things like FAL-style, HK91/G3-style, or AR-10-style rifles can be more affordable, with different models available around $1k and under.

A few years ago, the big draw for FALs and was the dirt cheap surplus magazines, but that's not really the case any longer. Now you're back to paying ~$20 per mag, just like a .308 AR or M1A. But HK91/G3 rifles still have cheap surplus mags available at $5-$10 each.

Spare parts are readily available for FALs, HK91s, and M1As. Some SCAR spare parts can be tough to get. .308 AR parts are plentiful, but there's no standard pattern .308 AR, so you have to ensure you're getting parts for that specific style of .308 AR, since many parts are not interchangeable between the various models from different companies.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
What's your price range?

My price range is whatever it takes to get the job done, but it will take some real convincing to go beyond $4,000.

I don't mind $20 magazines. I'd rather not pay $40-$50 per magazine, but I will if I have to.

The AR-10 pattern would have been an easy choice if there was standardization. If there's a pattern within the AR-10 field that has wide enough acceptance to be a quasi standard, that might do.

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
I'd rather not pay $40-$50 per magazine

Then that's Strike 1 against the SCAR. Wink

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
I'd rather not pay $40-$50 per magazine

Then that's Strike 1 against the SCAR. Wink

Sort of - I'd rather not but I will if that's what it takes.

-ShneaSIG

Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
The SCAR17 would be my 1st choice, in fact it was. Others that I considered at the time were LMT, JP Enterprises, LaRue, and GA Precision. When you get into the .308 realm, weight becomes an issue. The SCAR was the lightest and checked all the boxes for a "battle rifle".

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Cry once...

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FAL

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through this 10 years ago. Bought a PTR-91 and shot it about 5 trips to the range then sold it.

If i did it again I would buy something like this.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...ponry-src-308-rifle/

I don't know about you - but i have a lot of experience with ARs it doesn't make much practical sense to go with another platform.

If you just WANT another rifle then that's another thing altogether. On the one hand variety is cool. On the other hand standardization is nice too in terms of how the rifle operates, maintenance procedures, etc.

Good luck -

----------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I went through this 10 years ago. Bought a PTR-91 and shot it about 5 trips to the range then sold it.

If i did it again I would buy something like this.

https://www.americanrifleman.o...ponry-src-308-rifle/

I don't know about you - but i have a lot of experience with ARs it doesn't make much practical sense to go with another platform.

If you just WANT another rifle then that's another thing altogether. On the one hand variety is cool. On the other hand standardization is nice too in terms of how the rifle operates, maintenance procedures, etc.

Good luck -

----------------------------------------------

I like ARs. I just want to be able to keep the gun running if I have a failed part in 10 years from now or whatever. The more standardized the platform, the happier I'll be. If an AR-10 pattern gun will fit my requirements, I'll snap it up and be very happy! My hesitation is that it seems like there is precious little interchangibility between AR-10s, and I perceive that as a detriment for long term parts availability.

-ShneaSIG

posted Hide Post
quote:
My hesitation is that it seems like there is precious little interchangibility between AR-10s, and I perceive that as a detriment for long term parts availability.

That is a legitimate concern I agree. Buy an extra bolt up front maybe??

---------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Just get the SCAR.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the SCAR 17, magazines can be had now for about $32-36 per... buy a stack of them now, and not worry about it down the road! Besides the weight savings over almost everything else, it's accurate out of the box. Get it, throw a good optic on it and you'll be ringing steel at 5-600 yds in no time.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna g down the M1A road.

Mags are plentiful...

The design is battle tested and are almost indestructible

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Scar 17

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
If money was not a problem I would go SCAR 17 hands down.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first thoughts based on your OP are SCAR-17 or LMT MWS as both literally are combat proven "battle rifles."

I'd probably go LMT, but I already own an LMT MRP AR15 and I like the system. Being able to have a 16" carbine battle rifle barrel and swap in a 20" 6.5 Creedmore to really reach out and touch something would be a cool option to have.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
My first thoughts based on your OP are SCAR-17 or LMT MWS as both literally are combat proven "battle rifles."

Add the SR-25 to that list.

The SCAR is going to be the lightest of the three, but if you are well versed in the AR manual of arms, it may be worth it to stick to the MWS/SR-25 controls.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
I really like my Daniel Defense DDV5. It is accurate, reliable, and balanced well.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a real AR-10 some years back, from ArmaLite.

At the same time, I bought their spare parts pack, with springs and some of the small parts like the mag release and so on. I also bought several MacFarland ring assemblies for the bolt, and a spare bolt.

I know how to keep an AR-15 running over a long period and lots of rounds; doing the same with an AR-10 is easy. Also, a lot of the springs are interchangeable between the platforms.

The beauty of the AR platform is that it is very easy to work on, and you can do just about everything with just a couple of tools, like an action wrench.

As for the magazines, the ArmaLite Gen II mags are made of steel and will last one day past forever.

However, for you, I would suggest you get the model that have mags from Magpul as the AR-10B has been discontinued and they only make the A model now. Get the spare parts for a few dollars and have fun.

I will also say an AR in .308 is a heavy proposition. Just the nature of the beast.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post