SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Man, I just went on an AR binge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man, I just went on an AR binge Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Haven't bought an AR or any AR related stuff for I can't remember when. But, with all the Memorial Day sales assaulting my Inbox, I finally caved.

From AIM: a Radical Firearms 16" FCR M-LOK complete rifle.

From PSA: their 10.5" nitride LW M-LOK slant 12" complete upper. And, their complete pistol lower (MOE EPT SBA3)

And, I still have a safe full of EBRs I haven't fired. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I purchased the same 10.5" upper from PSA last year...it has been flawless with over 2000 rounds down range...I like the feel of the slimmer handguard over my AERO handguards Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I purchased the same 10.5" upper from PSA last year...it has been flawless with over 2000 rounds down range...I like the feel of the slimmer handguard over my AERO handguards Smile

Yeah, that upper has been nagging at me since last year, actually. I just finally caved. It was even cheaper then, $339 iirc, before all these shootings started. Mad

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I've been trying to hold out, but I'm about to do the same and binge...many deals lately are just too good to pass up in my opinion.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
And, I still have a safe full of EBRs I haven't fired. Roll Eyes
Send em my way, I'll fix em up 'real nice'. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
AeroPrecision is running 15% off on everything right now. I have enough spare parts I could put a 10.3" AR pistol with brace together without much new stuff. Got me jonesing, too, but I also have a safe full I never shoot.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I just oredered a slew of AR parts last night from PSA! I have at least 5 stripped lowers and 4 stripped uppers that need building.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
I still have a safe full of EBRs I haven't fired.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I also have a safe full I never shoot.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommydog:
I have at least 5 stripped lowers and 4 stripped uppers that need building.

IMO an all-too-common issue with AR owners. As I was having my 16" AR rebarreled, I thought it might be nice to a have a lighter weight beater 16" upper for training. And for when my 16" was in for its next barrel replacement. Then reality set in:
- It took me a handful of years to burn out the throat of that barrel.
- I have a 14.5" barrel upper that has very similar feel, ballistics, and accuracy as the 16" upper.
- Over the winter I invested a bunch of money upgrading optics on both bolt actions and ARs.
Bottom line, ixnay another upper.

I regularly vacillate if my scores in precision AR matches might be improved by changing from a 223 that shoots really quite well with Hornady 73 ELD ammo. So many options -- 224 Valkyrie, 22 Nosler, 6.5 Grendel. Many even a 6 Creedmoor for the matches that aren't limited to 223 or AR-15 platforms. Uppers are so easy to buy. But then I have put an optic on the upper; add another $1000 to $2500 if I honestly want to be competitive in the distances and conditions of the intended competitions. Oh yeah, plus the time to find a new load, and to document its performance over the intended distances and Density Altitudes of the matches.

Or maybe a 6.8 SPC II upper -- something different. Except it won't do anything better than the uppers I already have. Plus the need for yet another optic, more magazines, more ammo testing.

Or maybe a 223 with a different barrel length. If something different is what I desire, I'd have to start buying barrels with lengths in odd numbers -- I have the even numbers pretty well covered.

Sure, I could easily fall into the trap of buying more uppers. And they'd spend most of their years in the safe. I probably would never wear out their barrels. It's doubtful the additional uppers would make me a better shooter. The fun of owning a new upper likely would fade in short order.

So for awhile now, I have resisted the urge to warm up my credit card. We'll see how that goes.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I've been laying low since buying my Palmetto 9mm pistol. The wife asked me the other day how many AR's I have...I mumbled "6 or 7" under my breath.

I did not mention the three full uppers in the closet and boxed PSA "blem" lowers and corresponding build kits in the closet waiting for a rainy day...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been holding out on a new AR in the hope that BCM would have a sale this weekend. I have been eyeballing their 16" C8 upper for the last few months but I haven’t been able to work up the motivation to pull the trigger. Plus, now that Beretta released the M9A3 in Bruntion I am quite torn between the two.

Another BCM or another Beretta?

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've built three in the past year, of my own (well, one for my son), and am working on a fourth. Yesterday after church I went over to a friend's house and helped him put one together for him. It's an addiction, I tell you.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I've built 2 within the past 2 months and went back to modify my original one with ambi sling attachment, trigger guard and trigger.

Looking for an FFL who is willing to do better price on a batch of transfers instead of $20 each when they come in together on a single 4473.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Y'all don't have to tell me about EBR addiction. At one time, I was up to 30 complete rifles, getting brainwashed by that stupid "CHART". Everyone here knows about "The Chart", right? Then, I realized, trying to keep up with all the new shit that keep coming out is just impossible. Now, I'm at just half of that (including these two new ones) and have no intention of adding any more EBRs. No more EBR addiction for me.

Q

addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's an addiction, I tell you.

Yes...yes it is. Big Grin

Five lowers in various states of completion. Six uppers along similar lines. Waiting on barrels to arrive.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 3 complete and 5 more in the works. My wife hates to see the big brown truck of joy arriving now. It’s a sickness.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
I'm keeping an eye on sales for the PSA 10.5" upper.

Hope it drops back down to $330 again.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
I'm keeping an eye on sales for the PSA 10.5" upper.

Hope it drops back down to $330 again.

$279 with free shipping on the front page of their website as of right now. Including BCG and CH.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

$279 with free shipping on the front page of their website as of right now. Including BCG and CH.

Yep...good deal...thru 6/1 Smile...I just sent the link to my brother.

http://palmettostatearmory.com...g-ch-5165448228.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PSA finally got an upper I’ve wanted for a while back in stock. CHF FN made 14.7 inch lightweight, pinned and welded flash hider, MLOK rail for $370.00

Had to have it. Got a premium BCG for $69.00 & Geissele Airborne CH for $89.00. Should make a pretty good upper for under $600.00.

I haven’t noticed the FN made barrels on there in a while.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OR,
My son got one of the radicals but in 7.62x39.
Works great, would love to get one for myself, AIM is the place to go.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post