SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mossberg 12 gauge receivers: all the same?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mossberg 12 gauge receivers: all the same? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have a 590 barrel and magazine tube that I want to use to build up another shotgun. I have seen Mossberg 500A receivers for sale. Is that the correct one for a 590. Is there a different receiver between 500 and 590 or is the only difference between 12, 20, and .410?

Thanks,

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Have them both. My take is this.

The 590A1 has a metal trigger and housing, while the 500 is plastic. The receivers are essentially the same, but the 590A1 takes a different magazine tube and barrel. The magazine tube on the 590A1 accommodates at least one more round for a count of 9 total on board (depending on your shell size). The magazine tube on the 590A1 is designed to open at the muzzle end, not the breech side like the 500 (at least most models). The barrel on the 590A1 is thicker than the 500.

I myself would not try to interchange the trigger housing and group, magazine tube, or barrel on these models.

Hope that gets you at least started in the right direction.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Yup, I'm well versed in the differences between the models as far as features. What I am pondering is if they start with the same stripped receiver or not.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Far as I know they are the same receiver. But don't take my word for it.

This guy says they are... but not sure how credible it is.

shootingmystery.com/differences-between-mossberg-500-and-590/

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3204 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
At least with 12 gauge, the 590A1 receiver is the same as the 500 with different markings of course. Everything interchanges. It's even the exact same receiver as the Shockwave.

Posts: 4343 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post