SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M14/M1A SOCOM-16 accuracy tweaks and load development thread
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M14/M1A SOCOM-16 accuracy tweaks and load development thread Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I reinstalled Frank into my carbon/graphite/kevlar stock, nicknamed "The Rash," and tried a fineer tuned load test with 168's and 4064. It looks like the 41.4 to 41.6 grain window is right in line with the previous test I did with 41.5 grains. I like the fact that the patterns are rounder with little horizontal dispersion. I can attribute the vertical dispersion to draw pressure.

I'll eventually bed the action into the stock properly and give it some serious draw pressure.

It was interesting to note that in both cases, the 41.0 grain load had a large horizontal displacement.

I might also have to revise the 40.5 through 40.8 grain window as those seemed to be nicer groups as well.

If I can keep loads in the 2" range at 100 yards, I guess I should be happy. I'll eventually tune the gas plug and maybe try a different muzzle device to see if it's opening up the groups as well, or just try it without any muzzle device at all.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
surprised you used 3031 powder,

have you tried Varget, RE15 or 4895?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I used 3031 for the short barrel with lighter bullets. I've never loaded for short barreled 308's. I figured I'd need a fast burning powder for a 16" tube.

I'm open to suggestions.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
My buddy and I found H4895, I4064 and RL15 to be good ones for his Socom. We settled on 168's for both his M1A's. 155 gr match bullets were showing real potential when pushed close to max. In the end though, 2 MOA or less only happened with match prepped loads and good technique.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post