SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rock River National Match Trigger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock River National Match Trigger Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I was looking for a trigger for my 6.5 Grendel .
I have the RR National Match in my Predator Pursuit and found them on sale.
Had to get two at this price.
What’s y’alls opinion of this trigger?

FYI - they’re on sale for $80

Gun.deals

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I have several, and really liked them until I put a Geissele SSA-E into my main AR (after a Mike Pannone class, where he extolled the virtues).

RRA NM is still a damm good trigger, and a damm great trigger at that price.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I like mine in my midlength. But was going to get the SSA-E from palmetto as they have it on sale for 180 for a 224 valkyrie build!!!

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had one RR NM trigger for a number of years -- put maybe 1500 rounds through that rifle. It's a decent trigger, definitely better than stock AR triggers. I always felt the 2-stage was a little mushy, but then I prefer 1-stage triggers.

I replaced the RR NM with a Wilson Combat 2-stage. IMO the Wilson is a noticeably better trigger. Much more positive in take up, break, and reset. Later I switched the Wilson 2-stage for a Wilson 1-stage. I like the 1-stage much better, and now all my ARs have the same trigger. Sure, a little heavier break than a 2-stage, but crisper and without any creep.

Geissele definitely makes a nice 2-stage trigger, although it's not cheap.

I'm blanking right now on the name of the company that has triggers very similar to Geissele (I think the owners are/were related?), but at a substantially lower price.

LaRue's triggers are good, and they can be found on sale with a little patience.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I've had a RRA match trigger in my AR ever since I got it about 10 years ago. It started as a pretty nice trigger and, in its current well broken in state, I'd call it an excellent trigger. It breaks cleanly and crisply at about 4 pounds, and the reset is reasonably short. I'm a big fan!

The Geissele in my SCAR is a touch better, but not enough to justify the price difference between the two.

For $80, I'd call it a steal!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I used one for about 10 years and for $80 it's worth every penny. Run it wet and don't stone or file it. It's only surface hardened and all the stories you hear about it not holding adjustment usually come from someone who filed down into the softer sub surface metal in a WESCOG monent.

Edited for spelling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good trigger. Excellent value.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I'm blanking right now on the name of the company that has triggers very similar to Geissele (I think the owners are/were related?), but at a substantially lower price.

ALG? Though I wouldn't say that ALG's triggers are comparable to Geissele's. ALG is named after Amy Lynn Geiessele, Bill's wife (so there's the "related" part). But ALG's product line was specifically aimed at a market segment that is down-market from Geissele's.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great value for sure. The Timney triggers I've tried I thought were better than the Geissele's. At least the versions I had access to.

Someone thinking of CMC triggers?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

ALG? Though I wouldn't say that ALG's triggers are comparable to Geissele's. ALG is named after Amy Lynn Geiessele, Bill's wife (so there's the "related" part). But ALG's product line was specifically aimed at a market segment that is down-market from Geissele's.

Yes, I was thinking of ALG. I've never handled a rifle with an ALG trigger, so it was just my guess that ALG triggers are similar to those from Geissele. Evidently a bad assumption, that was based solely on what I've read on da webz.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I was thinking of ALG. I've never handled a rifle with an ALG trigger, so it was just my guess that ALG triggers are similar to those from Geissele. Evidently a bad assumption, that was based solely on what I've read on da webz.

I talked to Bill the first year that ALG debuted on the market.

Bill saw a market for a line of "basic" products that could be manufactured faster and more economically than what Geissele products usually ran for. And he was right, at the time there was a significant gap in market suppliers for triggers that were better than stock, but less than $180. At the time your choices for triggers were stock, RRA @ $180 and Geissele/Timney/Wilson etc at $200+. The only sub-$100 upgrade trigger was the Mega MTT. I don't think the MTT is even made anymore now that Zev bought Mega. I still have an never-installed MTT, not sure what to do with it now.

Someone as discriminating and experienced as yourself is definitely going to be able to feel the difference between an ALG-ACT (their single stage nickel-born & nickel teflon coated trigger group) and a stock trigger. As a bona fide connoisseur of fine match rifles, and I mean that with the utmost respect, you probably won't be satisfied with an ALG-ACT, or the even less-expensive QMS (polished military single stage). But there's definitely a market for a sub $100 trigger upgrade, and ALG-ACTs are $55-65?

The QMS and the ACT are both still single stage triggers with the same gross geometry as stock AR triggers. The QMS is polished, and the ACT is coated.

Somewhere out there, there's a guy who can't afford a $230 trigger, but wants something better than the creepy, gritty, 5 stage trigger that came with his AR. And he's got all of $70 burning a hole in his pocket to solve his problem Big Grin

The QMS is a half-step up from a stock trigger, and the ALG is another half-step up from the QMS. Won't be mistaken for a Geissele SSP on any day of the week though.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LDD -- thanks for the background and explanation. I'll try to file that information away for the next time the subject arises. And if I get the opportunity to shoot a rifle with an ALG trigger.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I agree, better than most stock AR triggers. I’d think part depends on intended use. For more precise target or prairie dogging I’d rather have my Jewel or Timney AR trigger than my NM trigger.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had one awhile back. It was a nice trigger.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
What trigger on the market would you compare this to?
It’s a two stage so two stage to - two stage.
Dollar to dollar.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I put it in every rifle i build.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
I have it in my AR10 and an AR15, cannot complain at all. Great bang for the buck.

I also have the ALG Defense in another AR and I think the RRA is better.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Can anyone speak to the comparison between it and LaRue Tactical MBT-2S ?!?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Can anyone speak to the comparison between it and LaRue Tactical MBT-2S ?!?

I have both. In my case I (feel) like the RRA is a little crisper than the MBT but I wouldn’t go to the effort of swapping one out for the other.

I also happen to like the feel of the trigger shoe of the MBT over the RRA.

They are both fine choices for the money.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Fair enough, I got a notification from LaRue Tactical about this trigger.
So I ordered one of these as well.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%