SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ramline 870 stock (Rit dye it?)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramline 870 stock (Rit dye it?) Login/Join 
Questions = Harassment
posted
I picked up a set of brand new Ramline 870 furniture, it is orange, they stoped making these a long time ago. I have no need to ID guns as less lethal, so it wouldn't bother me to use it as is. I do like orange, but am thinking of dying it. I bought the set because I like the handguard shape.
Anyone have any input? Should I give it a go? Leave it alone? What color dye if I am going for something darker? I have done HK forearms from OD to black. I'm undecided.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sell it and buy what you want?

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Hunter safety orange. Big Grin

Or have the rest of the gun painted to match. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I like it, I would keep as is.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Leave it orange. It will grow on you. Kind of cool. Any finish you put on it will scratch, rub off, peel or whatever. The orange won't.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Any finish you put on it will scratch, rub off, peel or whatever. The orange won't.

Unlike paint or another colored coating, Rit Dye doesn't scratch, rub, or peel. It's not just a colored layer applied over top. It literally dyes/stains the plastic a different color, fairly deep down into the plastic. Depending on how deep the dye actually penetrates, a really deep gouge could potentially reveal some of the original orange color, but normal scratches and scuffs will not.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the orange just to be different. If you aren't into it to far $ wise, I see nothing wrong with dyeing it for a project either. I think some lighter colors may be tough to get correct, but a black, OD or dark Plum (russian AK) color would likely cover well and look pretty good.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Any finish you put on it will scratch, rub off, peel or whatever. The orange won't.

Unlike paint or another colored coating, Rit Dye doesn't scratch, rub, or peel. It's not just a colored layer applied over top. It literally dyes/stains the plastic a different color, fairly deep down into the plastic. Depending on how deep the dye actually penetrates, a really deep gouge could potentially reveal some of the original orange color, but normal scratches and scuffs will not.

I've Cerakoted (never was a Duracoat guy) PMAGs on low 185 degree temp.
They came out great and durable in color.
This way you aren't limited in color as much.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't paint - ceracoat it.
Talk to one of your local police departments, hopefully someone on the range, see if they are going with "less lethal" options, and trade them.

Some department near you has got to have a half of a box of brand new black / wood stocks and fore grips...

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Didn't Arcwelder buy one of these last year?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Didn't Arcwelder buy one of these last year?

Kinda. He bought a police trade-in Mossberg 500 that had a set of orange furniture on it. But it wasn't the same Ramline set.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6940099534/p/1

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Dye it if you want to change the color. That dye goes deep into the pores of the plastic.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mine is still somewhere between flesh and cheeto colored, and sitting near me loaded with 00 Buck.

Guys, it doesn't matter what color your shotgun stock is, if you aren't the police. If you are the police, it's so _you_ know what it's loaded with, not everyone else.

My advice would be to not by orange furniture, if you don't want orange furniture.

RIT dye will work, but you'll probably end up with a weird brown, not a black.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Questions = Harassment
posted Hide Post
Your right Arc, I bought it because I like the hand guard and don't mind orange. I think I will leave it as is.
Thanks everyone for the input and helping me decide.
I'll toss up a pic once installed.

Posts: 370 | Location: VA | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
add some black tiger stripes. Smile

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Brownell's Aluma-Hyde works great and is very durable.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post