SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Loctite on scope ring screws, yea or nay?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loctite on scope ring screws, yea or nay? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
A torque wrench will be used for proper tightness, but is it wise to use Loctite on the screws that hold the scope rings together?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
I am far from an expert. I've only mounted a few scopes, but I always use a tiny bit of Loctite.

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Low-strength loctite, like the purple.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would use a light strength locktite as well. I've had scope screws loosen up over time without it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It won't hurt anything (if you use the correct product), but it's not necessary if using good quality rings.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8766 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
In the "No" camp... never have had anything come loose when torqued to spec.

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I always put a small dab of blue Loctite on scope screws, but only after I'm satisfied with the eye relief and reticle alignment. Then, I'll remove one screw, add the Loctite, and replace it (firm but not gorilla firm) then move on to the next screw.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
...(firm but not gorilla firm)...

In the case of small screws as used on scope rings, the proper torq (12-14 "#) is almost akin to "gorilla firm".

Using Blue and tightening to "firm" may result in under torq'd rings, and the Locktite isn't going to solve for that (except you'll have loose rings with tight screws).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JRC,

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DamageInc
posted Hide Post
Yes, blue.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: June 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I use a little drop of blue. And proper tightening with a torque wrench.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
A drop of blue never hurt anyone. I use a torque wrench and without lock tite I've had things loosen up on me.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
It wasn't until I got an inch pound torque wrench that I realized I had overtightened EVERY screw in both rings and mounts my whole life. Using too much force and loctite they never came loose.

Now I use the wrench and loctite.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A small amount of blue loctite and proper torque works well for me.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I use Vibra-Tite VC-3. This is a rubbery thread locker, not the concrete-like Loctite. You can remove and re-seat screws several times with one application of VC-3. This stuff is great.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Para turned me onto VC-3. Its the best solution that I've tried for stuff like this. I used to use green Loctite (and still do on some things) but this is better. Due to the issues I was having on RMR screws I bought a very accurate inch pound torque wrench and its trivial to put too much torque.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
I use a little drop of blue. And proper tightening with a torque wrench.

Same here. I've seen rings loosen when they were only torqued.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Vibra-Tite is good stuff. I think a better choice here than the lightweight loctite.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Not sure about normal rings but my Romeo 5 came loose on my 10/22 this morning. I guess it requires Locktite. Probably regular blue.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few of my buddies even use a very small amount of blue loctite to sort of bed the bases t the receiver to keep water out because they hunt in constantly wet conditions. I’d never heard of that until I picked up a used rifle and saw it.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post