SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optics Comparison: Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 vs VX5HD 2-10x42
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics Comparison: Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50 vs VX5HD 2-10x42 Login/Join 
Picture of sjames
posted
I'm a Leupold fan and have both of these scopes but only need one.

Use is 308 bolt gun fun/target/rare hunting use.

Both are short on mag for a real target rifle.
Both are illuminated.
The MK4 has a higher top end magnification and parallax adjustment.
The VX5HD seems to have better glass.
The Mk4 has a larger (50mm) objective lens than the 42mm VX5HD
The Mk4 is heavier by 8oz
Same length, same tube diameter.

If you had to keep one, which one and why?

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Does the VX5HD track more positively and/or more accurately than the MK4? If it did, that would be a consideration for me for precision shooting at different distances. On the other hand, I have come to appreciate higher magnification for long distances and although 14× is a little low as you point out, it’s still significantly greater than 10×.

As far as optical quality is concerned, I had the same Mark 4 and sold it when I upgraded to a higher tier scope. But although there’s that pride of ownership thing that prevents any buyer’s remorse for the step up, I must agree with one reviewer who asked in effect, “If you can see the target well enough for your purpose, why do you need anything better in terms of optical quality?” There are situations and conditions that make the best or at least better glass advantageous, but we should ask if they are ones that we’re likely to encounter in the type of shooting we do. If you have to say the VX5 “seems” to have better glass, then the difference is evidently not great enough for it to be likely to be of significant value unless you’re really pushing things under difficult conditions.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47368 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your experienced reply.

I think you've nailed it for me, in regard to seeing the target well enough for my purposes.

The only REAL limitation would be the low-light hunting usage and that's something I need to compare at this time of year.

While it's not rifle season just yet, I can get out at dusk tonight with both scopes and see how they do, comparatively, in low light.

I have hunted with the VX5HD...a couple years ago...and remember wanting more magnification to pick out antlers but that may have been a desire for better clarity to see those antlers.

Regardless, your response has better framed my question and I'm grateful for it.

Thanks

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ultimately, the decision must be yours, based on your use. You seem to lean more towards target shooting in your first post, then emphasize hunting in your second post. Rarely is any rifle system optimal for both.

I had a Mark 4 scope, and it may have been almost the exact same scope as yours. It was OK for target use, but not nearly up to the task as well as my current Nightforce scopes. My Mark 4's elevation turret exhibited a little bit of lash -- meaning it was best for me to dial one click past my desired setting, then come back one click. I had trouble getting the reticle sharp and the target image in focus at the same time. The glass was pretty good edge to edge, although the colors were a little muted. Mine did not have a zero stop, which I now find indispensable for target shooting. My was FFP, but with mil reticle and MOA turrets -- something I now find unacceptable.

I've never seen a VX5HD up close. Definitely more of a hunting scope than a target scope. I expect the glass to be clearer and brighter than with a Mark 4, as the Mark 4 design is a little dated. I think the VX5HD is SFP and lacks parallax adjustment -- which eliminates it from my target use with a 308. Maybe target use with a shorter range .223 AR-15, however.

You must consider your rifle's primary use, then match the scope to that.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post