SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs) Login/Join 
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
I too am a fan of AR pistols. I especially like the latest SB Tactical brace, the SBA3.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking to build a 300 Blackout pistol, 7.5 - 8.5" barrel, suppressed, with a SB Tactical brace... should be fun!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SBA3

Using a rifle buffer tube on a pistol AR?

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
SBA3

SB claims it’s legal, based on this old ATF letter that says a rifle tube is OK on a pistol.

https://johnpierceesq.com/whic...use-on-my-ar-pistol/

Also note that it says having a stock laying around that can fit on the tube may constitute having an illegal SBR, for what that’s worth.

Supposedly some other companies have had designs rejected that used a standard tube, but until someone makes a squawk or gets busted, it’s legal. The SBA3 has its hinge pin toward the back, so the LOP is below 13.5” even when fully extended. This seems to be some magic number that I’ve never seen written in an official ATF letter, but whatever.

Get it while it’s hot and legal, before the ATF changes their mind again.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also a big AR pistol fan. I have a 7.5 inch noveske diplomat barreled build. It's by far my most fun AR to shoot at the range. When I let club members or friends try it out, they always have a huge smile afterwards and always ask if they can try it again.
I ditched the sig brace a long while back when they ruled they were a no go to shoulder. Since they have changed their stance again I been thinking about trying out some of the lighter offerings from SB tactical.
I just cheek weld the foam pad on the buffer tube which works fine but the newer braces are appealing.

Posts: 62 | Registered: June 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Damn ,op I feel necked after your photo,only got two sbr's and six others.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Works to Farm
Picture of Kyjondeere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
SBA3

I’ve done plenty of research regarding the legalities of pistol braces, shouldering, not shouldering, BATF flipflopping, etc. I’m perfectly comfortable in my decision to use this brace at this point in time. Maybe, at some point, if conditions change, I’ll re-evaluate, but as of now, the paranoia has not set in.

Posts: 597 | Location: Western KY | Registered: November 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I've never sweated theirflip flopping.
A ban on all braces is the only thing that would matter at this point.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Really nice collection you have assembled. I too like the pistols and sbr'd rifles but mine are all 300 BO. I don't know how much I would like one in 5.56.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
The two FDE pistols are 300blk as well as the vertical FDE in the back

I suppose I'm weird, I like almost all configurations & calibers.
But my three safes are now full.
I have to loose one to add one.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yeah, i live the shorter AR’s. I just built this 556 with a 7.5” Barrel.

free image hosting

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have four SBR'd lowers that I like to swap uppers around with. I only have one lower built as a pistol which I stuck my son's 22 upper on since it can shoot with a folded stock.

I've had no issues with the following uppers:
10.5" 5.56 (PSA)
11.5" 5.56 (BCM)
12.5" 5.56 (BCM)
4.5" 9mm (PSA)
7.5" 300 (BCA)
8.25" 300 (HA)
9" 300 (AAC)
10.5" 300 (PSA)
12.5" 6.5G (Faxon)

Other than the AAC and BCMs, the rest were home built with mix-match parts.

I'm thinking of building a 7.5" 5.56 pistol just for fun but I have to see if my Specwar 556 is rated for that short. If not, then I won't bother. These days it's all about suppressed shooting for me.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
I have a 11 inch 7.62x39 from citizen arms. Favorite gun in my possession.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got an 11.5 blem upper and lower from PSA for real cheap during a sale. Didn't like shooting .223 very much with the short barrel so I put a CMMG 22lr kit in it. I shoot it a lot more now. Also have a brace on a Ruger Charger I just got. Had them both out today. Lots of fun.

I'll stick to 14.5 or 16 inch barrels for centerfire rifles.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
These days it's all about suppressed shooting for me

Agreed. Especially for shorties.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

BLASPHEMY!!

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My wife doesn't care for them, because they all look alike to her. She can't tell when I add one, no matter what it is. I just built a 450 Bushmaster and she doesn't even notice it sitting in the corner with the other ones.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Can you then just tighten it, after you add the new one?

Razz

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Sweet collection! I have 2 AR pistols now, I had another that I sold to a friend. I'm getting ready to build another. I have a few lowers but I picked up a Spikes Viking while passing through Apopka on Monday. A couple months ago, I picked up a 7.5 inch barrel on sale at WMD and a pistol build kit from PSA on sale. I have 1 Larue trigger left. All I need is a handguard and sights or optic and I have everything to do it. I was thinking about cerakoting it Artic camo.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
I'll stick to 14.5 or 16 inch barrels for centerfire rifles.

+1
I have an 11.3" barrel 300blk upper and an un-pinned 14.5" 223 upper, so I have two SBRs. I'm slowly spending more time behind the 11.3", but I keep coming back to my longer barrel ARs. The 14.5" actually doesn't give up too much in performance (drop, drift, and energy) to my 16", but when I compare it to the 18", 20", and 24" barrel ARs, there is a noticeable difference.

There's something to be said for using a barre long enough to exploit the physics of a bottle-necked rifle cartridge.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post