SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs) Login/Join 
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have both pistols and SBR's. The thing I really like about the pistols is there is no NFA BS...and I'm not talking about the waiting period and tax stamp.

What I like about the pistols is that I can travel across state lines with them without notifying the ATF and getting permission first.

Also, I can have a loaded mag and not worry about it. In some states it's illegal to have a loaded rifle mag in the car with your rifle. Worse yet, some states aren't clear if it's okay or not.

Thus traveling with an SBR is a PITA. The pistol is covered under my CCW so I'm good to go wherever there is reciprocity.

Pistols aren't as easy to shoot well, but given that it is for self defense while traveling (get home gun), I don't intend to be shooting out at any real distance. Both pistols have red dots on them.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I have four different AR Pistols in varying lengths and two SBR's in 10.5" and 12". Ever since buying the Maxim Defense PDW brace for my 7.5" pistol I rarely take the SBR's out of the safe.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After spending years without a personal AR I just built my first 10.5" pistol today. It may actually bring me back around on ARs. I have noticed that it is shorter than my ACR even with the stock folded. I dont think I'm that excited about going under 10.5 for 556 but I did get an 8.5 300 blk upper and I think thats a nice size for the caliber.

I was very close to getting a stamp for my ACR but the lack of hassle and paperwork plus freedom of travel swayed me and I'm glad I went this route.

For the people with KAK shockwaves, have you ever considered rounding the blade a bit towards the bottom?

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the heads up on the SBA3 brace. Mine just came today and I installed it. It replaced a Shockwave Blade.

Being able to adjust the length is really great for two reasons.

1) being able to shrink it travel is so nice.
2) not everyones’ forearms are the same length, so you can adjust where the brace patches on to different peoples’ arms.

I’m quite happy with mine and have already ordered a second one for my other pistol.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
Thank you guys for the heads up on the SBA3 brace. Mine just came today and I installed it. It replaced a Shockwave Blade.

Being able to adjust the length is really great for two reasons.

1) being able to shrink it travel is so nice.
2) not everyones’ forearms are the same length, so you can adjust where the brace patches on to different peoples’ arms.

I’m quite happy with mine and have already ordered a second one for my other pistol.

How did you find the comfort of the brace on your arm? I find the strap way too short.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Here's my HD set up. No regrats.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ryanp225,

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Yeah I agree the strap is a little short. I don’t even think the strap is necessary though. I don’t like it on there as the gun is then physically attached to me.

I can’t drop it if I needed to...say it was stuck on something. I guess I just don’t like not being able to separate from it in a hurry if I needed to.

I won’t take the strap off as I worry they’d say I modified it to be a stock, but find it plenty stable without the strap being tightened down.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
kimberkid,

Did you go with the same trigger on all of them?

I did for my ARs. 2-stage CMC flat triggers for me.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
kimberkid,

Did you go with the same trigger on all of them?

I did for my ARs. 2-stage CMC flat triggers for me.

Most of these are so old that the drop-in units and flat-bow triggers didn't exist when bought the parts ... most have the RRA 2 stage Match or Varmint trigger. The 12"Seekins has the RRA satin chrome Varmint trigger. One has the Ruger 2-stage, but I don't remember which.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
After spending years without a personal AR I just built my first 10.5" pistol today. It may actually bring me back around on ARs. I have noticed that it is shorter than my ACR even with the stock folded. I dont think I'm that excited about going under 10.5 for 556 but I did get an 8.5 300 blk upper and I think thats a nice size for the caliber.

I was very close to getting a stamp for my ACR but the lack of hassle and paperwork plus freedom of travel swayed me and I'm glad I went this route.

For the people with KAK shockwaves, have you ever considered rounding the blade a bit towards the bottom?
I'm leery of making any modifications, lest someone accuse me of "redesigning" the brace, and making the firearm into a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am really pleased with this 9mm Colt SBR with a 10" bbl.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N4JxXJ9gqMpqGtjE9
F

Posts: 2558 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My duty rifle is a 11.5” Colt Commando. Had it issued to me in 2005 and still going strong. The only time I have ever had any issues is when the gas rings went out at range day one time last year. This SBR/carbine has been a true and faithful friend. It has been hot,cold, dirty, wet, etc. and have has many thousands of rounds through her. It is so easy getting it in and out of a cruiser and great clearing buildings and rooms.

I have a PSA 10.5 inch upper on SBR paperwork and a suppressor host that so far very reliable and a hoot to shoot as well.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:

I'm leery of making any modifications, lest someone accuse me of "redesigning" the brace, and making the firearm into a weapon designed to be fired from the shoulder.

This. I wouldn’t make any mods to the existing brace. Chances are you’d never run into someone that would push the issue, but not worth taking the risk in the event you do.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
My .300blk pistol. That Maxim Defense brace is pretty cool.

And the .300blk SBR

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
My duty rifle is a 11.5” Colt Commando. Had it issued to me in 2005 and still going strong. The only time I have ever had any issues is when the gas rings went out at range day one time last year. This SBR/carbine has been a true and faithful friend. It has been hot,cold, dirty, wet, etc. and have has many thousands of rounds through her. It is so easy getting it in and out of a cruiser and great clearing buildings and rooms.

I have a PSA 10.5 inch upper on SBR paperwork and a suppressor host that so far very reliable and a hoot to shoot as well.

I have a commando upper and Colt lower, waiting on the stamp to mate them!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Just checking to see if PB is doing free hosting again ... BTW, its a 12" barrel so technically is also an SBR

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Balaam's Ass
Picture of Vero8
posted Hide Post
Just stuck my toe into the NFA pool. I found it looks and handles better with 20 round mags. Any sling ideas would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vero8,

God bless America...and no one else

Posts: 4396 | Location: Georgia | Registered: August 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I'm quite happy with my 7" AR9.

I did have a 10.5" PSA upper but PSA's 10.5 barrel was so heavy that it unbalanced the firearm.I got some really good velocities out of that barrel though. I sold both my 10.5 9mm uppers.

I rebuilt it with a Spinta Precision barrel and bolt and its actually more accurate than the PSA 10.5" upper.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

I have a commando upper and Colt lower, waiting on the stamp to mate them!

Very cool. You will like it. Please, post some pics when you get her all together.

Posts: 4024 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeme05
posted Hide Post
You need a 9mm Ar, PSA 10.5" heavy but a HOOT to Shoot!!!
$549 Shipped

Posts: 1375 | Location: West Texas | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post