SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Barreled ARs (pistols or SBRs) Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a few ARs. Love the platform even though that wasn't always my preferred platform.
(I have 3 AKs (Norincos) & they were my obsession for a while.
Then the AWB expired & the shorter versions of ARs started showing up.
Getting out of the Corps I just couldn't my head around the use of a 20" 500yrd 5.56 in my life.
But you get that length down to pistol length and introduce concealed hand gun licenses and personal defense applications along with the 37 calibers the AR is chambered in and I've come around in my way of thinking.

While I like all configurations of ARs I've really come to love the ARs pistols.
I enjoy them more & more with each range trip.

Anyone else like / prefer the versatility of this set up?

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I too like the short barrel configuration. Very handy and easy to maneuver. However as a pistol it seems awkward and big. If it didn’t have the long tube out the back it would be my favorite, but since it doesn’t, I’ll stick with conventional guns for concealed carry.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
My issued duty rifle is a RRA SBR 10.5” heavybarrel. I absolutely LOVE it.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
Not one iron sight rifle in that bunch is blasphemy!

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
I have pistols in 300blk and 9mm.
I usually have my Octane 45HD on the 9mm (4" barrel). It is VERY handy on steel courses.
I want to build a 40SW pistol with an 8" barrel.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why are they all ganging up on the one in the middle?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Why are they all ganging up on the one in the middle?

Gang....??

labor
members
plank
sign
of four
bang
green

Dunno. It's a mystery.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
6.5 Grendel, new kids get ganged up on ! Wink

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I see why you can't afford Aimpoints or baller LPVs for each one. Wink

Nice pic.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yes, variety has its draw backs.
While I can not deny a rush to get myself to the place I wanted to be it did prohibit me from building 12 top tier (performance & name brand) ARs all at once from the get go.
I don't care much for logos / brands for ego sake.
Solid performing parts assembled correctly go a long way with me.
However, now that I possess them, have them in hand, in the configuration I desire, I can now spend the rest of my life accurizing & accessorizing each to my hearts desire !

I suppose I took LDDs post (Panic at the Gun Store) to heart, in that the time to buy / build is when items are in stock & available also finding items on sale is just icing on the cake.
Everyone of my ARs may not currently be to the level I dream or wish them to be but once in my posesssion ... the sky's the limit !

I am finding though, that I really do enjoy the AR pistols more than the carbines & rifles.
Though during an ammunition drought the sub-MOA rifles slow down the use of ammunition so I suppose I enjoy each on their own merits & in theirs own time.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
That is an awesome collection of fun looking guns. I also enjoy shooting pistol AR’s now that there are so many options to brace them. It’s much more fun at the range or shooting out in the country than using my larger rifles. Also my kids like shooting the pistol ARs and don’t care for the awkwardly heavy rifles. Good way to introduce them to shooting. And good excuse for me to buy more Smile

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
We just did an active shooter response class and one of the instructors kept asking why I was having trouble with the blue AR. I told him it's too long. All my home rifles are SBRs and my patrol rifle is also an SBR.

My latest SBR is a 12.5" 6.5 Grendel and it's amazing. I'm trying to get to an outdoor range to see how far I can shoot it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My 10.5" 5.56 is one of my favorite guns. It handles great, has tremendous firepower with soft point ammo, and I can ring steel without even trying at 200 yards if need be.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy my 11.5 pistol with silencer attached.

It is a damn shame that light, cheap, and somewhat disposable silencers aren't available because of NFA laws. A $100 can with a 5000 round service life that weighed less than half of an overbuilt lifetime service can would be nice.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put together an 8.5" .300 BLK pistol I haven't shot yet... Frown

My main AR is a 10.5" SBR, I love the shorties. My longest barrel AR is 16".

I'm with you IndianaBoy, if it weren't for the NFA hassle, I'd have a few cans for sure.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SBR’s (but not pistol AR’s) are my preference. All of my rifles / shotguns are stamped:

Noveske 12.5” bbl 6.8
Noveske 7.5” bbl 556
2x Aero 10.5” bbl 556
Aero / M2 8” bbl 556
AK 8” bbl 762x39
Saiga 12 sbs 8” bbl
Marlin 1894 13” bbl 44
Rem 870 mcs aow 10” bbl

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the new SB Tactical A3brace I have really been considering a 12.5" BCM pistol. The only two things holding me back is the 14.5 BCM carbine with a pinned extended A2 flash hider that I already have and the 16" C8 upper from BCM that I have been lusting over.

But yeah, pistol AR's are some handy tools.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
That's quite the collection there GB! I have just the one lol, a 10.5" in 300BLK - but very happy with it.

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I have had a CMMG 11.5" pistol since before anyone ever thought up the brace idea. It's pretty handy, and I am looking at making another more modern, and less over gassed, pistol.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post

CMMG MK4 300 Blackout pistol. Haven’t shot it yet. I originally planned for the FDE brave to be a 300BO identifier but I ended up with FDE on my main 5.56 AR. MagPul sights just to have something, probably end up with an Aimpoint.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post