SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    My Savage 110 overhaul is done!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Savage 110 overhaul is done! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
Well, it's finally done! I received my Benchmark 22" 5R barrel today. I came home over lunch and installed it, lickety-split! There may be minor rubbing on the right side, so I'll have to re-bed it soon with the new barrel.

The barrel has a 1:11" twist rate. It's bedded into a McMillan HTG stock that I bought last year.

This is a mid-80's Savage flat-back long action that started life as a 270. I threw on a 30-06 barrel many years ago and it's now finished off as a 308. The only parts that are original are the receiver and the trigger mechanism. Everything else is new.

Here's how it started before the overhaul...

Here it is now.

Quite a transformation! Now I just need a bipod and some range time!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done! Mongo like.

Ya know, if ya get tired of that lead launcher, put me first on your karma list. Big Grin

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, love that camo pattern on stocks.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3642 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Let us know how it shoots!

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'll let you know! I may try it out before I re-bed it. I can pass a sheet of paper between the barrel and stock from front to back but it just starts to feel resistance at the very end of the forearm on the right side. It will still pass through, but the gap is smaller than a sheet of paper is thick.

Tony.

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Very nice work! Looks gorgeous.

I have a Savage 1981 110-S in 308 that is pretty much original condition. It has a Weaver T-16 scope that does need to go back for reconditioning. It's on my list to do...

Let us know how it goes, please-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I forgot to add one thing...

I started this overhaul in 2011, so 6 years to think about and build what I really wanted.

Now I need to get a scope that's more suited for the build. The one that's on there now will do for a while, but next year I'll drop some serious coin for some quality glass.

Also by next year, I hope to have a quality suppressor to throw on there as well.

Tony.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I've also been following.

Very neat rifle. - Kind of M40A1 esque

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome job! What camo pattern is that?

Posts: 405 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Nice boom stick. Excellent choice on the scope. Cool

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper1323:
Awesome job! What camo pattern is that?

It's the McMillan camo pattern.

jjkroll32- Thanks for the comments. McMillan lists the HTG as the original M40A1 stock pattern. That's the look I was shooting for (pun intended) and I opted for the adjustable cheek riser since I know the scope I have will do for a while, but I'll eventually change it up. I like the versatility.

Sgt Gold, thanks for the comment! I was thinking eventually, I'd like a nicer FFP scope in the 4-14x power range with a 30mm tube. The Conquest is a great all-around scope and I've shot some really great groups with it on multiple rifles over the years.

I'm hoping to do some nice 600yd to 1000yd work with it this year. I've got a nice Leupold MKIV ER/T but it's already on another rifle and I simply need to get another scope soon. I don't want anything excessively powerful. The 14x magnification is plenty for me.

Some of you may be wondering why invested so much money into an older Savage when I just could have bought a Remington 700 5R or a Savage 10FCP McMillan and probably could have got there cheaper. I guess I just like to tinker with my rifles and make them personal for me. I get a deeper sense of ownership.

This rifle was given to me for my high school graduation back in 1991. It was my late step-father's rifle. I'm a sentimental kind of guy and I have a hard time of letting go of anything that is given to me.

I really enjoyed building this one.

Tony.

posted Hide Post
If I may ask, what barrel profile is that and length? You inspired me to try something similar.
Great job!

Posts: 405 | Location: St.Louis, MO | Registered: December 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper1323:
If I may ask, what barrel profile is that and length? You inspired me to try something similar.
Great job!

Here's the exact specs that were on my invoice...
• 308 Stainless Steel
• 1:11" twist 5-groove rifling
• Finish length: 22"
• Small Shank Savage
• 1.060" Straight Taper to .900" @ 22"
• Chamber 308 win w/ Gold Medal Match Reamer
• Thread Muzzle 5/8-24 for Surefire SFMB-762-5/8-24 w/ Cap

Before you call Benchmark and place your order, I'll give you a warning...

This barrel cost around $700 and it was a 4 month lead time. I originally wanted it fluted, but I could not see myself paying another $150 or whatever it was that they were going to charge me for it.

The barrel threading alone was an additional $125 and they still sent along a new stainless steel barrel nut. I already had a new barrel nut and recoil lug from Northland Shooter's Supply, but leaving the barrel nut off the order was not an option.

I chose the 22" because I already have two M14's with 22" stainless 5R barrels. I like the 5R due to the velocity gains that the 5R's are known for; in my case, a 35FPS gain in velocity compared to a 4-groove of the same length. I've documented this with my own rifles and chronograph.

I figure that this rifle should take me easily out to 1,000 yards, maybe even 1,200 if I'm lucky. Any farther than that, I'll get a 6.5 or a 300WM barrel and change it out if I desire.

I also like the 308 due to barrel longevity. I figure I should get at least 5,000 rounds of match grade accuracy out of it and up to 10,000 rounds of useful accuracy.

I hear that those 6.5's and 300WM's are barrel eaters.

Tony.