SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help identifying a muzzle device
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help identifying a muzzle device Login/Join 
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted
This brake came on my rifle and the guy that I bought it from doesn't remember the manufacturer. It literally reduces recoil to less than a 223, but is nearly as concussive as a 50... like it hits you in the chest standing next to it. So I'd like to order another one but can't figure out what it is!

Any help would be much appreciated.

------------------------------------

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
JP (GoGun) Supercomp XL

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lude4life:
JP (GoGun) Supercomp XL

of course the first post could identify it haha. Thank you. do you have experience with it? It really blew my mind.

├┼┼╕
246R

Posts: 3901 | Location: SE PA | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Just a coincidence I was just looking at comp reviews and happened to see that one in it Big Grin

No experience myself, but here is the article (with video as well) of a bunch of comps being tested, including that one.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.c...zle-device-shootout/

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Supercomp XL appears to be an effective brake, with a 55% recoil reduction. It will take the 17-18 foot pounds of an unbraked 308 down to the 9-10 foot pound range, which is two to three times the recoil of a 223.

The most effective brakes generally reduce recoil by 65-70%. And such brakes increase both blast and noise. From what I've seen in steel matches, the APA brakes are among the more popular. They're noisy, too. RO's don't care much for them. I have two APA FB2 brakes, and they just flat out work.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cat Whisperer
Picture of cmr076
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
The Supercomp XL appears to be an effective brake, with a 55% recoil reduction. It will take the 17-18 foot pounds of an unbraked 308 down to the 9-10 foot pound range, which is two to three times the recoil of a 223.

The most effective brakes generally reduce recoil by 65-70%. And such brakes increase both blast and noise. From what I've seen in steel matches, the APA brakes are among the more popular. They're noisy, too. RO's don't care much for them. I have two APA FB2 brakes, and they just flat out work.

this is the first real brake I have ever owned, and I was shooting on a bipod with a bag under the stock, so that may have helped reduced the felt recoil? I'll take a look at the one you suggested, I'm not opposed to swapping this to a 308 ar

├┼┼╕
246R