SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Oops, boy that barrel got hot
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops, boy that barrel got hot Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
A couple of weeks ago, I took oldest daughter to the range.
I gave her 500rds and an AR15 and said go for it.

Today, I decided to clean the AR15 and once I pulled the sack up wool sock off, there was about a 2 inch long blob of melted sock on the side of the barrel just forward of the front sight.

That melted wool was hard as a rock like melted nylon.

The only way I could get it off was to burn it off by placing the affected area above the burner flame on my gas range.

Yeah, I guess that barrel got hot, huh.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Ever so slightly warm. I'll bet she had a great time blasting!

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Apparently she stopped at 400rds of the 500.
So I am told.

A bruised shoulder you know.

I should have let her try 400rds of 7.62X51 through Big Green the AR10.
Just kidding.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I took my two youngest grandsons to the range for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I took a 10/22 with us. The older one (8) did just fine. The younger one (6) watched his brother, then took his turn. He empty that 10/22 in about 2 seconds! Amazingly, all on target! It took a lot of effort not to smile too big over that.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ammoholism can be a good thing.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I used my range bag as a rest for my AR10, and after a 25 round mag, i realized the strap was touching the suppressor. Nylon melted itself on good and hard. I put it over my stove and heated it up at home and it wiped right off. The bags strap is dead now though.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Leaned mine against a plastic picnic table after a 30 round course in a match. Well, the picnic table now has a nice deep barrel-rest groove in it.

They get amazingly hot.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20319 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I was shooting a suppressed AR in the rain.

It didn't take long before rain drops were sizzling off the silencer.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have a burn scar on my right hand from grabbing a hot barrel on a M16A2. Hurt like a son of a bitch too.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
2nd degree brn scar on the inside of my right forearm from AR-15 barrel contact. Have also had flames coming out of the forearm of my AK

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread Derail:
While returning to CSC from a -20 degree night on the SAC ramp, I grabbed the barrel of my M16 with a bare hand.
Took 20 minutes for the heat in my hand to warm the barrel enough for me to let go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Thread Derail:
While returning to CSC from a -20 degree night on the SAC ramp, I grabbed the barrel of my M16 with a bare hand.
Took 20 minutes for the heat in my hand to warm the barrel enough for me to let go.

Yowza.

Posts: 4581 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Me - "Don't touch the barrel. They get really hot after a few mag dumps. 250 or 300 degrees, or hotter."

Friend- "Bullshit. They dont get tha------ OOWWWWWW!!" followed by jumping around and screaming like a girl.

Me- "Told you not to touch the barrel.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I shot with a suppressor, my friend pulled out a welding glove as he was unpacking his gear. I asked him "what's that for?". He just said "you'll see". I later learned that he had learned the hard way that suppressors get really hot.

Posts: 728 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Me - "Don't touch the barrel. They get really hot after a few mag dumps. 250 or 300 degrees, or hotter."

Friend- "Bullshit. They dont get tha------ OOWWWWWW!!" followed by jumping around and screaming like a girl.

Sorry, "Friend," but thanks for the really good chuckle and LOL ! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I bet he will not do that again.

Posts: 4581 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I have a burn scar on my right hand from grabbing a hot barrel on a M16A2. Hurt like a son of a bitch too.

That happened to a squad mate in basic training 49 years ago, only difference is it was an M14.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I use a blue tarp to catch brass so I don't have to pick it out of the grass. One of my tarps has a long hole in it where an AR barrel melted right through. It also has a bunch of tiny holes where hot brass has welded themselves to the tarp when they land.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12766 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have fired a bolt action fast enough to cause a second degree burn when flesh contacted the barrel!

Posts: 3286 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Years ago, a buddy was at Knob Creek and saw an Aug that had been tortured fairly heavily get leaned against a plastic picnic table; he said it started cutting a channel the width of the barrel through it like a hot knife through butter before someone grabbed it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15557 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post