SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Oops, boy that barrel got hot
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops, boy that barrel got hot Login/Join 
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted
A couple of weeks ago, I took oldest daughter to the range.
I gave her 500rds and an AR15 and said go for it.

Today, I decided to clean the AR15 and once I pulled the sack up wool sock off, there was about a 2 inch long blob of melted sock on the side of the barrel just forward of the front sight.

That melted wool was hard as a rock like melted nylon.

The only way I could get it off was to burn it off by placing the affected area above the burner flame on my gas range.

Yeah, I guess that barrel got hot, huh.

Me about this thread:
There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 30410 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Ever so slightly warm. I'll bet she had a great time blasting!

The only difference between a wise man and a fool is that one knows it. Unknown

Posts: 1284 | Location: Missouri | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Apparently she stopped at 400rds of the 500.
So I am told.

A bruised shoulder you know.

I should have let her try 400rds of 7.62X51 through Big Green the AR10.
Just kidding.

Me about this thread:

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I took my two youngest grandsons to the range for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I took a 10/22 with us. The older one (8) did just fine. The younger one (6) watched his brother, then took his turn. He empty that 10/22 in about 2 seconds! Amazingly, all on target! It took a lot of effort not to smile too big over that.

Posts: 3315 | Location: N. Texas | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ammoholism can be a good thing.

Me about this thread:

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I used my range bag as a rest for my AR10, and after a 25 round mag, i realized the strap was touching the suppressor. Nylon melted itself on good and hard. I put it over my stove and heated it up at home and it wiped right off. The bags strap is dead now though.

☣Biohazard☣

Posts: 6400 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Leaned mine against a plastic picnic table after a 30 round course in a match. Well, the picnic table now has a nice deep barrel-rest groove in it.

They get amazingly hot.

RMD

Some men are morally opposed to violence; they are protected by men who are not.

Posts: 18336 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I was shooting a suppressed AR in the rain.

It didn't take long before rain drops were sizzling off the silencer.

Posts: 12687 | Location: The Edge of the Ozarks | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have a burn scar on my right hand from grabbing a hot barrel on a M16A2. Hurt like a son of a bitch too.

Posts: 1030 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
2nd degree brn scar on the inside of my right forearm from AR-15 barrel contact. Have also had flames coming out of the forearm of my AK

Posts: 6420 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread Derail:
While returning to CSC from a -20 degree night on the SAC ramp, I grabbed the barrel of my M16 with a bare hand.
Took 20 minutes for the heat in my hand to warm the barrel enough for me to let go.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 5152 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Thread Derail:
While returning to CSC from a -20 degree night on the SAC ramp, I grabbed the barrel of my M16 with a bare hand.
Took 20 minutes for the heat in my hand to warm the barrel enough for me to let go.

Yowza.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Me - "Don't touch the barrel. They get really hot after a few mag dumps. 250 or 300 degrees, or hotter."

Friend- "Bullshit. They dont get tha------ OOWWWWWW!!" followed by jumping around and screaming like a girl.

Me- "Told you not to touch the barrel.

Posts: 3769 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first time I shot with a suppressor, my friend pulled out a welding glove as he was unpacking his gear. I asked him "what's that for?". He just said "you'll see". I later learned that he had learned the hard way that suppressors get really hot.

Posts: 221 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Me - "Don't touch the barrel. They get really hot after a few mag dumps. 250 or 300 degrees, or hotter."

Friend- "Bullshit. They dont get tha------ OOWWWWWW!!" followed by jumping around and screaming like a girl.

Sorry, "Friend," but thanks for the really good chuckle and LOL ! Big Grin

Frank

Dogs are gifts from God, full of love. Save a life, adopt!

…and God made dogs, and it was very good, and God said: “I’m gonna have to have all of these back.” Genesis 1, gospel according to Mr. Monkey ✡

NRA Patron Life Member (Feb. 2017) Big Grin

私のホバークラフトは鰻でいっぱいです!

Posts: 2513 | Location: too near debt-riot, mitch-e-gan | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I bet he will not do that again.

Posts: 3509 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I have a burn scar on my right hand from grabbing a hot barrel on a M16A2. Hurt like a son of a bitch too.

That happened to a squad mate in basic training 49 years ago, only difference is it was an M14.

Posts: 12081 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I use a blue tarp to catch brass so I don't have to pick it out of the grass. One of my tarps has a long hole in it where an AR barrel melted right through. It also has a bunch of tiny holes where hot brass has welded themselves to the tarp when they land.

We may consent to be governed, but we will not be ruled. - Kevin D. Williamson, 2012

Posts: 8252 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post