SIGforum
Thoughts on Remington 783 rifles.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1750060034

September 07, 2017, 08:03 PM
KevinCW
Thoughts on Remington 783 rifles.
Discuss. Decent inexpensive bolt gun? Or dont waste my time.

Not looking for anything fancy.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
September 08, 2017, 06:15 AM
SgtGold
Other than some complaints about feeding issues it appears to be a fairly inexpensive entry level gun. Parts do not interchange with the 700 series, but barrels are available from numerous aftermarket sources.

September 08, 2017, 12:08 PM
Texas Bob C.
On the Academy Sports website Remington 783s are rated five stars and a few fours stars by buyers. Nothing lower. Comes in 245, 270, 308 and 30-06. I bought a Mossberg Patriot in 308 that I like real well.
September 08, 2017, 01:47 PM
JRC
Much better "entry level" bolt action rifle options out there than Remington.

Remington of today is not the Remington of the past. I would steer clear.

Good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JRC,
September 08, 2017, 03:02 PM
KevinCW
Any specific issues you have seen?

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
September 08, 2017, 08:03 PM
wrightd
From all the reviews I've read about entry level bolt guns, I believe Remington would be the last on my list. I'd consider Savage and Ruger first before considering a Remington. On the other hand, I've not shot any of them, but that's my impression of the relative quality in the current market. I've not formed an opinion on Marlin, because when I think of Marlin I think of lever guns vice bolt guns. But there's no reason otherwise why Marlin couldn't build a bolt gun. On the other hand isn't Marlin owned by Remington now ? So there's that too. Ugh. But don't listen to me, I'm a fine rifle snob, though I can't afford one, funny I know.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
September 08, 2017, 08:22 PM
KevinCW
What else, or specific models, at this price point would you suggest?

September 08, 2017, 08:47 PM
arfmel
I prefer the Ruger American, personally, if you're set on buying a new rifle. But I would much prefer a used Remington 700 or 788 if I had to have a Remington.
September 09, 2017, 01:57 AM
KevinCW
I have heard complaints about the Rugby plastic mags, any idea how they compare to the steel Remington mags"

September 09, 2017, 03:33 AM
Texas Bob C.
Most of these entry level bolt guns built now have looks that only a mother could love.
September 09, 2017, 04:14 AM
CD228
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

I'd hit the used rack and look for an older 700. I picked up a 1960s 700 ADL for $400. It had Iron sights and the old school Remington quality.

Looking at the 783 it looks very similar to a Savage in the way the barrel is attached. that's new from Remington. That said I'd look to see what you can get a Savage 111 combo for and compare the two rifles.

I'm actually a Remington Fan, I own 2 700s and I even visited the Factory in Illion,NY. But, I have to say that their reputation has taken a hit in the last few years. I hope they are on the rebound as they have the ability to make great rifles and I am particularly partial to US made firearms.
September 09, 2017, 10:28 AM
Bigmnt
I have a 783 built up as for long range work and have been very pleased with the results. The caliber is 7 remington magnum. I am shooting a 162 grain Hornady match with .25 MOA groups at 200 yards with a factory stock, barrel and gun.

The 788 action in my opinion was the most stable action that remington ever produced,(very rigid.) The 783 takes the same rigid action and marries it with a full length aluminum bedding block and accu-trigger. The only down side to the removable magazine is that it limits overall case lengths of the cartridge. I have not found this magazine to be a problem. I have glass bed the recoil lug only, added a aftermarket check rest and filled the hollow butt stock with low expanding foam. topped it off with a 6x20 50mm Vortex. I am very pleased... Big
September 09, 2017, 10:43 AM
old rugged cross
i would just buy a 788 and call it good. They are old (good imho) and fantastic shooting, extremely light and handy rifles. I have them in .243 and .308 win. I can find no fault with them and they all shoot fantastically. Only issue is finding mags for them now.

There is a reason the 788 is held in high esteem amongst hunters and outdoorsmen.

They are getting harder to find and you pay in the neighborhood of $5-600, but still a great buy at that price.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
September 10, 2017, 09:52 AM
wrightd
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

If I were in the market for a nice rifle w/out paying high dollar for what they call "semi custom", I'd be looking for a used Remmy 700, used Savage 110, or any used Win with a CRF. I wouldn't bother with a Win with push feed, those were the dark years. You could get a nicer rifle for similar money that the new entry level tupperware rifles, aka, "that only a mother could live", as Texas Bob put it.

There's nothing wrong with those guns per se, so you could still buy one without guilt, but the stocks and "bedding' are so cheaply made, that it gives me the heebe jeebes. But I'm old school when it comes to stocks and bedding. But like I said, I'm a rifle snob, which is my admitted and open bias here. For example, I have a modern manufacture Win 70 CRF in 375 holland, and I paid used price, but it is much more gun than any of the current new budget rifles. So you can take the money of a new budget rifle, and use it instead for a used rifle that shoots straight, or add a few more bucks, and get a used gun that's much better quality like I did with the Mod 70 CRF. In any case you may benefit by looking into that regardless of which you ultimately decide on.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster