SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    NXS compared to SHV
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NXS compared to SHV Login/Join 
Picture of henryrifle
posted
Has anyone had an opportunity to compare a comparable Nightforce NXS to an SHV scope? If so, what did you conclude? I want to move a scope from one rifle to another but I would want to replace it. The price of the 5-20X56 SHV makes it tempting if it is comparable to the 5.5-22X50/56 scope. I realize there is a 20 MOA difference in elevation capability but that is okay for my purpose.

Thanks,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I looked at them all @ SHOT2017 and they seem of similar quality - I think the biggest difference is some of the stress testing on the SHV being less than the NSX. They have to make cuts somewhere. The SHV is made in Japan and the NSX here in the USA.

But the SHV reticles were nice, glass seemed fine, turrets were good; they didn't feel cheap or significantly different than the NSX.

I'm considering a 4-14x50 SHV for my Tikka T3 CTR.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I really like the SHV line and think it was a great move by Nightforce. I would certainly consider it over the Vortex PST line which is only marginally cheaper.

I have the following:

NXS 3.5-15x50
NXS 2.5-10x42
SHV 4-14x50 F1

My hunting buddy has:

SHV 3-10x42 (which I have used quite a bit).

The NXS 2.5-10x42 has the nicest glass and the most refined/distinct clicks on the turrets of all 4 scopes. The SHV 3-10x42 glass is very close to the 2.5-10x42 but it has the squishiest/least refined turrets. That SHV also does not have illumination of course. Otherwise it's a very nice scope. Very wide field of view, excellent clarity, the reticle is very sharp and easy to focus.

The NXS 3.5-15x50 and SHV 4-14x50 F1 are very close in terms of turrets and glass quality. I think the SHV F1 is easier to focus the reticle but at max power the eye relief is shorter and the eye box is more sensitive to head position. Both track dead on.

If you planned to dial for elevation frequently I would recommend the F1 model of the SHV due to the better quality target turrets.

I have not looked at the SHV 5-20x50. But when shooting a buddies NXS 5.5-22 I actually preferred the 3.5-15x50 model instead. I frequently found 22x to be too high of a power to use since the eye box was quite small and sensitive at max zoom, and being second focal plane the reticle was only accurate at max power. So dialing down to say 15X didn't work for wind holds. If you are looking in that mag range I would prefer a first focal plane scope so that if you needed to dial back to improve your sight picture and/or field of view your reticle would still be accurate.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Thank you, RHINOWSO and Brett B. There are some similar reviews on the Internet but you never know if you are reading an actual review or advertising.

I am still paralyzed to make a decision. I keep checking our local firearms and accessories classifieds in hopes of finding an NXS for sale. A longshot to be sure.

Thank you again,
Henryrifle

Posts: 491 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: November 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
My local Cabela's carries both the NXS and SHV lines. I would go check them out in person to get a feel for the differences.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the following NF optics, in order of when I purchased them:
NXS 5.5-22x
NXS F1 3.5-15x
NXS Compact 2.5-10x
SHV F1 4-14x
ATACR F1 5-25x

My SHV has quite good glass, especially for its cost. NF saved some production costs in the SHV by using the ZeroSet instead of the Zero Stop. The Zeroset works, but I don't think it's as refined as the Zero Stop. Turret controls feel decent -- close to NXS, but clicks are not quite as crisp. The elevation turret has only 10 MOA per rotation, and I think 15 or 20 MOA per rotation would be better. SHV parallax adjustment is good -- better than on my 5.5-22x.

The SHV glass is "warmer" than that of my 5.5-22x, meaning that the older NXS models have a slight blue-ish look to them. I don't see the blue-ish cast in my F1 3.5-15x scopes.

Sport Optics has ongoing sales on demo optics. I purchased my SHV scope, a pair of LRF binos, and one of my F1 3.5-15x scopes this way. I highly recommend looking there. You will get a virtually new optic, full warranty, and a 10-20% discount.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
I own the NXS 5.5x22, a Precision Bench rest 8x32 and a SHV 5x20. Biggest difference I see between the NXS and SHV is ruggedness of construction and them cutting a few corner on the SHV of which has already been mentioned. Use all mine in PD fields and the SHV has not disappointed me. If you don't need the rugged constructed NXS I think the SHV will perform just as well at a considerable cost savings.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
fritz and low8option-thank you. I am most interested in the SHV 5X20. I did check Sport Optics--thank you for the source, fritz. They actually have a NXS 5.5-22X56 at a great price. Tempting but bad timing.

I called Optics Planet and they will sell the 5-20 SHV for $1194.99 which is $104 off their advertised price. That will help some toward a scope mount. I have placed the order with them.

Thank you all again,
Henryrifle

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

I frequently found 22x to be too high of a power to use since the eye box was quite small and sensitive at max zoom, and being second focal plane the reticle was only accurate at max power. So dialing down to say 15X didn't work for wind holds. If you are looking in that mag range I would prefer a first focal plane scope so that if you needed to dial back to improve your sight picture and/or field of view your reticle would still be accurate.

Just an FYI the owners manual I received with my NF scopes gave values for the minimum and mid range as well. I believe for a NPR2 which is 2MOA at max magnification and 8MOA at minimum magnification and 4MOA at mid range magnification.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:

I frequently found 22x to be too high of a power to use since the eye box was quite small and sensitive at max zoom, and being second focal plane the reticle was only accurate at max power. So dialing down to say 15X didn't work for wind holds. If you are looking in that mag range I would prefer a first focal plane scope so that if you needed to dial back to improve your sight picture and/or field of view your reticle would still be accurate.

Just an FYI the owners manual I received with my NF scopes gave values for the minimum and mid range as well. I believe for a NPR2 which is 2MOA at max magnification and 8MOA at minimum magnification and 4MOA at mid range magnification.

That is not remotely useful.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkyk:

I have a 5.5-22x SFP NF. I used this scope as you describe above in a steel-match training day, figuring I'd set the magnification at about 11x and doubling the reticle mark values. It didn't go well.

Steel/tactical matches generally require shooters to dial up and down in magnification to acquire, then shoot at targets. Every target, every transition between targets, every stage is different. Trying to keep the magnification levels matched up with reticle wind values doesn't work so well when the clock is running. SFP is really, really bad for steel/tactical matches.

Now for a square range, fixed target distances, lots of time to shoot, targets all lined up and purdy -- SFP and the various reticle values could work.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
I did not perform a one-to-one comparison but I did mount and sight in the 5-20X56 SHV this afternoon. It was a perfectly clear day in GA so any scope would have looked good today.

You can definitely feel the difference in the clickers between the SHV and NXS but as others have said, it doesn't feel cheap nor does it cause you to turn further than you intended. It is just less precise feeling.

So far, very happy with the purchase. Will do comparison soon.

Happy Easter all.

Henryrifle

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the two most obvious differences are in the turrets, and the zero stop. The NXS has zero stop as an option - the SHV has something similar, but not quite. The NXS has exposed turrets with 20 MOA available in a single turn - the SHV has turret caps (must be removed to operate) and only 10 MOA per revolution

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryrifle
posted Hide Post
Far from being a knowledgeable scope user, it looks like the SHV is a different design than the NXS. The reticle is very similar to the NXS, the glass may be similar or of a similar specification but the components and implementation are notably dissimilar. The turrets attach to the clickers differently, Zero set really just bottoms the turret out on the scope body, and the eyepiece itself is used to focus on the reticle rather than the whole ocular bell and lock nut design to name a few differences.

No complaints for the square-range, known distance shooting I use mine for.

Henryrifle