SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Astigmatism and Dots (Aimpoint, EO Tech, and Trijicon RMR)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Astigmatism and Dots (Aimpoint, EO Tech, and Trijicon RMR) Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I also have some astigmatism, enough that my optometrist says I'm not a good candidate for laser treatment, but I don't know what that means on scale of 1 to 10. I have an old Aimpoint Comp-M4 on my carbine, and it works pretty well as long as I dial the dot down to about the smallest size that I can still see. Even then I get a line of red sticking out from the dot at about 4:30, but I can shoot about a 3 MOA group with it using crappy ammo. With good handloads it's maybe 2 MOA, but that rifle isn't terribly accurate with any ammo.

I haven't tried the carbine with a regular scope to see if a finer aiming point helps the accuracy. Nor have I tried moving the Aimpoint further out, didn't know about that, I'll have to give it a try over the weekend.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Vortex Razor?

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
My astigmatism must be fairly slight, or at least compared to my wife's. We were looking at optics, and after 10 years of listening to me talk, looking at my guns, and occasionally shooting them, I mentioned to her how astigmatism fucks with red dots and she had this NO WAY moment, and asked if my Sig red dot was a small dot to me. I said it was pretty small, but it kind of starburst a bit. I have a cheaper SightMark that has a circle dot, which looks more to me like the halflife symbol. I pulled out my camera phone and took a picture of the dot, and said that that's what it, for the most part, looks like to me. She was floored and explained that the dots are just huge fuzzy messes for her, and she thought that was just normal. she thought I'd been buying big dots for a long time or something.

Buuut now that I know this, I'm also looking for a suitable sight for her. she says the EoTech is clear er, but I'm interested in trying others.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
ACOG's have solved my vision issues. But I keep looking at others because I'm an optimist.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2223 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post