SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Who out there is still shooting M-14's?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who out there is still shooting M-14's? Login/Join 
posted
Gents,

Who among you is still shooting M1A/M-14's and loving it? I'm up to nine of the rifles and loving them.

I notice not to many post pictures here. It's a snap on the M-14 forum

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar85BiUe2lk9lioCmlfe19qgnZus

Show us your 14's...

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RogueJSK,

That's a really nice rifle. Well done!

Wes

Posts: 2412 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Rogue, tell me more about the top rifle.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like that top setup. Ultimak rail for the win.

It almost feels like heresy to put one on an M1 rifle or carbine, but it looks so right on an M14 type.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Do Mini-14's count?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Is there a reason NOT to get a SA Scout Squad with composite stock?

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Rogue, tell me more about the top rifle.

M1A Scout Squad
Walnut stock
Ultimak rail
Aimpoint Pro
Blue Force Gear padded VCAS with Specter Gear sling adapters

Removed factory front sight/flash suppressor, then added a Smith Enterprises Hooded Gas Lock Front Sight and AAC Blackout 51T flash hider. This shortens the overall length, and results in the Scout/Squad being just barely longer than the SOCOM 16

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

Yes. The Scout Squad itself is a great choice, but the factory composite stocks suck. They're cheap and flimsy. Either get the factory walnut, or plan on immediately replacing the factory composite with something better (USGI, Boyds, McMillan, etc.)

posted Hide Post
I WANT to get an M14 but my desire is to have one made by James River Armory which now seem to be non-existent. Actually not just recently but for a couple of years now. Are they out of business??? Their rifles have gotten great reviews in the past but haven't heard much about them as of late.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

Yes. The Scout Squad itself is a great choice, but the factory composite stocks suck. They're cheap and flimsy. Either get the factory walnut, or plan on immediately replacing the factory composite with something better (USGI, Boyds, McMillan, etc.)
Thanks.

Is what I'm readying correct in that if I buy the 308 Win version I can also shoot 7.62 NATO ammo in it?

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yes. M1As can shoot both 7.62 NATO and .308.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Love the M14 myself, mostly in it's GI configuration the best. But for target shooting I don't mind the piggy match variants. It's challenging and rewarding for me, iron sighted or scoped.

Love this rifle it's exactly what perfection is to me. Simple and good general do it all rifle. And it could be uglier. It's a JRA with the Chrome Lined Bula barrel.

And Mallory. Krieger DMR barrel in Jon Wolfe Mod-Fib stock. Got me a 0-8 best on the 10 dot challenge. Can't seem to eek it out yet. Mallory is stubborn.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Nice rifles. I HIGHLY recommend the Bula Forge or LRB Arms Offerings. Expensive, but you get the real USGI build and forged parts. THAT is hard to beat. For a custom build I recommend benny6's offerings. He's build a number of customs for me and his work is top shelf...in all regards.

Wes

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Apologies if this is a dumb question but it’s something I’ve always wondered about:
Why isn’t their checkering on all or most of the wood stocks one sees for the M1A / M14? The stocks appear very slick and having hand and forward location checkering would solve that, just like on bolt action rifle stocks. So what am I missing?

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
They're not that slick.

USGI rifle stocks traditionally aren't checkered. In fact, most military wood stocks around the world weren't checkered.

The wood grain provides enough "texture", and the shapes of the stocks provide sufficient purchase. About the closest you'll see on many military wood stocks are horizontal finger grooves that are sometimes cut into the foreends.

Checkering would also be a time consuming step when mass producing rifles in the hundreds of thousands or millions at a time.

It's mainly when you get into things like varnished wood, laminates, polymers, etc. that checkering becomes more necessary, due to the slickness of the material.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Ok, but it's been a long time since this model of rifle was in service and wood stocks appear pretty frequently on civilian custom models. I have seen the forward horizontal slot you're referring to. Guess people want military type features and think checkering is an extravagance. I have held several M1A's with wood stocks and to me they were slick.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got a loaded model and am waiting for a surplus fiber glass stock I paid 30 bucks for and I’m going to clean it up, stiffen it up with resin and carbon fiber and do a kick ass camo job with cerakote, it’s going to take them a month to ship it to me and it’s driving me crazy. I absolutely hate the plastic Springfield stock it came with

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Where is Benny??

Doesn’t a light go off over his bed when a M14 thread is posted?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I don't always shoot M-1As, but when I do, it is this SuperMatch I bought back in 1988...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post